Doing a major... | FerrariChat

Doing a major...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Dec 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Well, it's that time. Documents say the last belt service was 2014 and I did catch a glimpse of the date code on the belts earlier which indicate the belts are 2013 vintage. Initially, I was going to send it to my indi but I decided to tackle it myself. The plan was to order the 30k kit from Ricambi but I may hold off on that because it looks like I have no gasket issues. Hill tensioners are a no brainer so that will happen. Annual service will be performed also in addition to R&R rear bumper to pull the tranny oil screen and fix a leak on the F1 actuator.

Now, I'm no stranger to mechanical work but this will be a first for me on this car, so I' gonna lean on those that have come before me for help in noticing things that I may miss or stuff to look out for. I've got the WSM for both the Modena/Spider and CS and I have read over the major postings on belt changes. What I may need from those that have done this before, is to tell me if you spot something off in the pics that could indicate an issue or problem.

Overall, once I pulled the inspection plate, it looked fairly clean, except for the reddish dust. No leaks were found, everything looked okay to me except for a small idle pulley on the waterpump belt in front of the LH timing belt cover. Pulley wasn't even contacting the belt. Have to do some research on this one.

I pulled the RH timing belt cover and was pleased to see a green dot on the exhaust variator since the block wasn't stamped and there was no record in MODIS of this being done. Belt still looked to be in good condition, with no cuts or damaged teeth. I did not roll the engine, but I did notice two sets of marks on the cam pulleys--one set black, one set yellow. Not sure why there are two marks...any ideas?

Here are some pics from tonight's adventures. If anyone sees something odd, please let me know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Marcopolo3382 likes this.
  2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just for FYI, car is a 99 Modena with just over 38k miles. Last belt service in 2014 car had right at 21k I believe.

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    That looks fairly normal. As far as the marks go, they were probably placed by whoever serviced the car in the past.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I don't see your flux-capacitor??!!!

5. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
  6. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    The '99 did not come with a flux capacitor. That's the reason the variator has to be changed.

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My '99 has one! LOL!!

8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I'm assuming that the "green dot" referenced in the service bulletin is the paint mark on the left had cam. Image Unavailable, Please Login

If not, I'm pulling them and putting in a flux capacitor!

9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Crap, guess I need to go look at the parts I took out cause they were not in the service manual....

10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    In my non professional opinion the Wsm does a good job with cam belt procedure.

The yellow and red color marks on the cam pulleys are reference marks from prior mechanics during belt changes.

That accessory belt idler pulley is referenced in the wsm. Took me forever to find it. Should actually just contact the belt.

Factory reference cam marks are on the other side of the engine under the cam inspection covers. I use play-dough to get an impression. I couldn’t see the marks even with a camera. Take an impression worked like a charm.

You will need to find TDC on Intake stroke for #1 (I used piston stop in #4 for ease of access) and you can do a “lock and swap” if you aren’t planing to degree the cams.

I used an iPhone with the app ianalyzer. I practiced with accessory belts and timing belts before disassembly. I also had borrowed a Ducati frequency tester and the iPhone was spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Day 2....
    LH timing belt cover pulled...no surprises, everything looks okay.
    Earlier in the year, had a AC issue and I am suspecting it is the compressor. Pulled vacuum and refilled system. Clutch didn't engage. Looked at the compressor while the car is open and there is oil on the body and I can turn the compressor by hand...by a couple of fingers actually. (not the pulley but the actual clutch shoe on the outside that engages). So, it looks like I'm looking at a compressor rebuild. Any recommendations on this?

Oil suction screen came out with relative ease. No major surprises on either the oil drain plug or gearbox plug. Gearbox oil came out golden brown without any funky smells other than the normal funk. Gearbox screen filter also came out relatively easy to my surprise. Pics of the material on the screen later. Looks like what others have posted being build material which kinda pisses me off a little...

The one thing that I was aware of is on the hydraulic actuator at the rear of the tranny. I knew that I had a minor leak here...more of a seep than anything else, but I guess it's gotten a little worse. If I replace those washers, is there a way to bleed the system without going to the dealer or my indi?

12. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    How was it to do the washers on the f1 line mine is moist lol where did you get them?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Actually, it turned out that the lines themselves were not leaking. The black plastic cover on the back of the actuator is where the leak was coming from. I tightened up the Torx screws and so far, it hasn't leaked. I did pressure up the system and it held. So, hopefully, that will fix one of my issues.

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Day 3.....

Not too much going on. Gathered my parts list and priced it out. With replacing all the orings, sealing washers, and belts, the total is around $800.00 This does not include any fluids. The 30k parts kit from Ricambi is great if you are pulling the cams. My drivers side exhaust cam is showing some signs of seepage but not enough to worry about right now. Once I pull the timing belt on that side, I might change my mind. But for now, it will stay. The one tool that I couldn't find was a 36mm socket for the crank. Turns out, nobody has these either (Sears, Lowes, Harbor Freight...) Then a friend suggested a CV axle nut socket from AutoZone. Even though I worked there for many years, I forgot about this place. They have the 36mm socket in 1/2 drive either in the Loan-A-Tool program or on the shelf for sale in some of the bigger stores.

Pulled the coolant expansion tank and oil deairerator tank to paint those while waiting for parts to come in. Pics to follow....

15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Well, Christmas came early....
    Ordered all the miscellaneous parts I needed for the job from Ricambi. Mind you, I did not order the 30k kit since I didn't need the gaskets that were included. However, what I did order was all the o-rings, belts, copper washers, etc. that remind me of my days of doing physical counts in a major auto retail chain.

Anyway, I placed the order yesterday around noon. I received a pre-ship email from them at 12:17 indicating one part was coming from Italy but the remaining would ship out. I didn't pay any extra for shipping, just normal UPS ground with an expected arrival in 4-5 days. Figured 5 days with Christmas.

I was expecting another package so it wasn't a big surprise when the FedEx guy ran the front bell. The surprise was when I opened the door and found a big box from Ricambi sitting there. Keep in mind, They are in North Carolina and I am in Texas and the order was placed yesterday around noon. It would be one thing if I had ordered one item but I ordered 16 separate line items that had to be pulled and packaged for shipment.

So, shout out to Daniel and everyone at Ricambi! You guys rock! Kit Kat's too! Now it's time to go to work... Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Your car required a new KitKat?

18. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    No not exactly. My car being a 99 had a flux capacitor but the later models had a KitKat. Daniel said I could put a KitKat in place of the original flux capacitor but he couldn't guarantee if it would work the same since I didn't upgrade the muffler bearings.....

Makuono and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  19. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Work resumed yesterday with the reinstall of the gearbox and engine oil screens, drain plugs, etc. I had debated not ordering the clutch flywheel tool from Ricambi because it was hard to justify spending $200+ for a tool that I will only use once every belt change. After doing this, there is no debate on its need. The tool is a must especially of working without a lift. In fact, if someone is in need of this, I am willing to make a special deal on a loan-a-tool program. Anyway, installed the lock, removed the crank bolt and pulley, then removed the tool. Since I assumed I would be waiting for my parts to arrive, I had pulled the deairaerator tank and coolant tank for a repaint. As most of you know, the wrinkle paint on the deairaerator tank flakes off mostly due to poor prep work. So, I pulled that, taped it up and chemically stripped it. Washed it off and spot cleaned the left over areas. Then I sprayed an etching primer to the barre aluminum, followed by heavy coats of wrinkle paint. The coolant tank received a light coat but I think it was still a little too heavy. The ribbed part of the tank looks good, but the flat part by the cap is too wrinkled...think it will be a reshoot....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Any pictures of what they look like striped?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

21. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Making nice progress.

I considered ordering the flywheel tool. Instead put on the ebrake, put car in gear (MT), and had wife step on brake pedal. Crank Bolt broke free easily. Not sure if can leave gear engaged in F1 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I tried to do that when I put the 430C centerlocks on. If done initially, it would hold but if I let the car sit, pressure would bleed off and I could move the car. Not sure if this is a trait of the F1 system or if mine is bleeding down.

23. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Unfortunately, I did not take pics of the tank stripped....for shame.....

But I can tell you it's pretty ugly. Aluminum is in good condition but the welds look horrible....thick, uneven, sloppy. Guess that is why the painted it black wrinkle coat!

02360spider likes this.
  24. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Subscribed for info later. Keep up the good works, Ghostdiver.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    As requested....I didn't like the first paint job. (note to self....follow directions in regards to temperature and time between coats)....

This WAS the first paint job....

This is stripped down.....

And finished correctly....

f355spider likes this.