Domenicali@ Schumi as Massa replacement: "Too early to say yes or no" (->???) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Domenicali@ Schumi as Massa replacement: "Too early to say yes or no" (->???)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Far Out, Jul 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cartist

Cartist Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2006
    Grapevine, TX
    Full Name:
    Omar
    If he were to come back, he'd be realistic and say something akin to "I am coming back only to finish the rest of the season for the Scuderia" in an effort to lower everyone's expectations. As a side note, Michael Jordan came out of retirement (the first time) and won 3 more championships :D

2. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Even if we can't win the championship anymore, it's still important to get the maximum of points (it's money after all)

So in that perspective it would make sense to have Schumi back.

3. Jelly Spanners

Jelly Spanners Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    South West UK
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Hey, there is allways Rossi, he has driven one and his sponsors are Fiat...?

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    There's 100 reasons why it would be awesome to see Schumi come back, besides the fact that it would be Schumi racing again.

5. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/109072720730/ferrari-boss-not-ruling-out-schumacher-return

Stefano Domenicali on Monday refused to rule out the possibility that Michael Schumacher may return to replace Felipe Massa at forthcoming grands prix.

"It would be wrong to say yes or no at this stage," the Ferrari team boss told the Der Tagesspiegel newspaper.

With the Maranello based team minimally needing to fill the injured Massa's cockpit for the next several grands prix, the Italian press on Sunday piled pressure on Ferrari to bring its most successful driver out of retirement.

"Now Ferrari needs Schumi," said La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm insisted the 40-year-old is not due to make any statements in the next few days, but press sources indicate the German has not personally ruled out making a temporary comeback.

Corriere della Sera, however, noted that Schumacher's fitness still has not returned to 100 per cent following his motorcycle testing crash some months ago.

The seven time world champion also made no mention of the possibility when he posted a message on his official website wishing Massa a speedy recovery.

Other names mentioned for Massa's drive include Nico Hulkenberg, who is handled by Schumacher's manager Willi Weber, as well as Fernando Alonso, Sebastien Bourdais and Nelson Piquet.

Referring to Marc Gene and Luca Badoer, meanwhile, Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni said of the need to replace Massa: "We have two test drivers."

Italy's Corriere dello Sport also mentioned Mirko Bortolotti, the teenaged reigning Italian F3 champion who over the past winter broke the F1 record during his maiden test at Fiorano.

"We are going to decide without pressure," said Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo as he visited Massa in a Budapest hospital. "When we make our decision, it will be a good one."

Domenicali added: "We are going to think about it this week

6. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Is it possible for The Stig to race in F1? Inquiring minds want to know.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If Bourdais gets the seat, you would have to consider him the luckiest man on earth.

8. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    There is not much for MS in replacing Massa. The car is cr@p and he's not going to win so why even bother. I say give it to Gene or Badoer, its not like they will spoil the championship chances this year or anything.

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just did being overcome with the 'what if'!!!!

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    +1. Just imagine the pandemonium if he does it...

11. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Michael came back for a 3rd time, it was just embarrassing.
    Schumi had to be coaxed to come back to defend the manufacturer's titles after he broke his leg. He was not in the title hunt anymore and just wanted to stay at home and play some footie.

12. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    I'm sure Ferrari are just humouring everyone by not ruling it out .. but .. one thing that is for sure .. after a torrid couple of years for F1, with Nazi Max, Max v FOTA and maclarengate .. Bernie must be rubbing his hands with glee just thinking about it. The savior has returned!

It's a dream .. but gee it's a great dream. Please don't wake me!

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 to MS's return!

14. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    i'm throwing a party if Schumi returns!

15. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    :D

exerpt from http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/77377

Robert Kubica may be having a pretty frustrating time on the track at the moment as BMW Sauber's season falls far short of expectation, but that has not stopped him thoroughly enjoying himself away from the F1 world.

In the gap between the German Grand Prix and Hungary, he organised a fun karting event at Lonato in Italy in the 125cc karts that his world championship team is entered in.

Having talked with Timo Glock about the idea of getting some F1 drivers together, the concept finally reached fruition as they were joined by a host of stars including Michael Schumacher, Felipe Massa, Vitantonio Liuzzi, and Sebastian Vettel.

"We knew that maybe Michael was coming, so we asked some drivers and they joined us, so we had good fun, a good day of driving," said Kubica.

"Also a bit of competition because once you have drivers, even if it is not an F1 track, but karting, there is always competition. There is always someone who wants to be the fastest but overall I think it was good fun. There were drivers which drove for the first time in karts, so they really saw it is a hard job and it was good fun."

And, perhaps because he has had plenty of free time on his hands to test karts rather than racing in F1, it was not much of a surprise to find out who was quickest.

"Michael was the fastest," said Kubica. "(Vitantonio) Liuzzi was also very good."

16. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I'm afraid you're right. He didn't do the Top Gear 'Star In A Reasonably Priced Car' because he couldn't guarantee that he'd beat Hamilton. I'd love it if he did make a come-back, but I'm afraid I just can't see it happening.

17. Dean Lewis

Dean Lewis Formula Junior

May 16, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean Lewis
    although id love to see Schumi race again, just dont think its in Ferrari or Michaels best interests, the car aint performing.

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Di Montezemolo has said that he will discuss the options with Domenicalli during the break. Plenty of time so I guess we won't know for a while who'll replace Massa.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    For michael, yes.

When Schumacher was injured in 1999, they already had badoer onboard as a test driver and they didn't use him as a replacement driver (this might suggest that they won't use him now, either). Neither Gene or Badoer have had any significant seat time in the F60. They both drove the prototype last time in December. The car is vastly different now.

They have a number of options:
    Badoer (probably not)
    Gene (possibility)
    Schumacher (depends on him, would be fantastic)
    Bourdais (god forbid)
    Piquet (if renault do kick him out)

I personally don't fancy Piquet to much because he tends to spin at nearly every race. He himself complains its the car but alonso appeared to be doing fine.
    I think schumacher is a good possibility and him to be in the points. Remember, algaysuari only drove in a straight line test a few times before and he was with the pack all day long. I think Schumacher can stay with the top 5 too.

20. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Alonso?

21. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    There's a bit of hint from Stefano, isn't it? Well, F1 is just an unpredictable sport. If MS shows up, it would be cool. No pressure, etc. However, i do find it unfair in terms of Badoer and Gene.