Domestic 777 flights | FerrariChat

Domestic 777 flights

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    So apparently when booking a flight to Miami I found out I will be on a 777 from Dallas (AA 1219). The seat selection was confusing at first given my economy row is 10 seats across so I had to find the plane info to make sure I wasn't booking a wrong flight haha.

Has anyone here flown domestic on a widebody recently? The flight is less than 3 hours...apparently with some research the plane flies to Hawaii as the next stop to justify it.

The shortest 777 domestic route I can see is some Dallas to Phoenix as one offs later this year. Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/fly-aa-best-biz-seats-domestically/

Apparently Delta used to fly a 777 between ATL and MCO and it served as a backup in case any of the international flights running 777 needed a plane due to mechanical issues. I have flown that flight a few times, but only on the 757.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I took one of those Delta flights from ATL to MCO and back, just to try out an aircraft that I had a hand in the design of. They only had two 777s at the time and it was a way to maximize use of the aircraft while giving pilots some time at the controls. I believe that in a two-day cycle, each of the two planes flew 3 or 4 round trips to MCO and one round trip to LHR, with the two aircraft doing this on alternate days. The time in the air was a mere 57 minutes, which seemed silly for an aircraft that large.

A footnote to that: I haven't flown domestically on a 777 since! The last time I flew was a round trip from ATL to LGW on British Airways, and that was over a dozen years ago.

3. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    We have a few of these up here, usually YYZ-YOW and YUL (40-60 min flights). At least once a day, to 'clean up' the standby pax and compensate any cancelled flights.

4. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    UA , DL and AA send widebody aircraft from one hub to another to set up for the international European and S.A. from MIA flights that usually depart in the afternoon.

6. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I flew on a commercial flight in a 777 from Oakland to San Francisco...a VERY short flight...twenty some years ago.

The rest of the story is we started in Chicago and were meant to go straight to SFO. By the time we got there, SFO had waves breaking over the runway and was virtually shut down. We circled for some time until the fuel was low...when we landed in Oakland. We sat on the tarmac...I watched TWO full movies (fortunately, I had upgraded to business class!). We finally got to a gate where anybody flying with carry-on only could de-plane. I had work equipment in the belly that I could not leave behind, so I got to finish the flight.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I fly the 777 all the time to Asia and Europe from the West Coast. United replaced all 747's with 777's. I've also flown LA to NYC on a 777. Its rare to see them on short hauls because its difficult to fill enough seats.

The 777 is a really fine plane. My favorite now is the 787 Dreamliner though which is used mainly for long hauls. I did LA to Melbourne Australia non-stop on one. The 737 Max was supposed to be the upgraded short haul aircraft but that's another story...

Bob Parks and zygomatic like this.
  8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Daughter is flying United 777 ORD to SFO over next month.

9. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Air Canada flies them Vancouver to Toronto. Awesome plane, lots of space and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bob Parks likes this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Nice to hear comments like this since I worked on that bird from the very start.

rdefabri likes this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Because they don't fly domestically out of ATL (to my knowledge), I haven't flown one since 2003!

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Been a few weeks since I took that flight, but the 777 was super smooth. I forgot since it's been a while since flying in one. The only thing that really gave away its age was how low the overhead bins were compared to the newer planes.

DFW's international terminal is pretty nice, but the rest of the place was pretty outdated looking.

13. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Well done sir! Definitely one of my favorite planes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, it's one of my favorites, too.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Now that I have a grandson in SFO, I've been flying a 777 every chance I get. The IAH to SFO leaves IAH at 6:30 am. The SFO to IAH leaves at 11:55 pm. I hate flying red eye, but this plane is worth it. Last time I looked at the schedule, it stays in the air about 19 hours a day.

I'll be flying it soon. Due to the late purchase, first class was cheaper than economy, imagine that. So I'll get to try out the cocoon seats in first. Should be interesting.

16. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They are not worth it on such a short flight, as you will not have enough time to thoroughly enjoy all the comforts provided. Better you should switch with someone less fortunate in the back. ;) :D

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah right. No way am I gonna pass on the happy ending!

jcurry likes this.
  18. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That will arguably be the shortest one. Ottawa to Toronto and vice versa on a 767, 777, or 787.

From what I understand as well these are part of international flight routes. Toronto to Ottawa on a wide body followed by Ottawa overseas with the same bird. Return to Ottawa and Ottawa to Toronto.

19. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    BA used to (?) do the same with a 747 from SAN-LAX-LHR and back

20. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

Could be. I think China Southern used to operate a 777 and even sometimes a 380 from Hong Kong to Guangzhou. Technically the same country I suppose... 130km total distance

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I have one story that I heard from a Aero Mexico crew. They diverted to STL on a flight from Mexico city. They could not get a gate at STL for some reason and had trouble procuring fuel at STL also. They ended up being on the ground with pax onboard for over 8 hours. Due to the US international 4 hour rule they would have received a massive violation of $27,000.00 per pax if the deplaned on US soil. Their dispatch directed them to refuel and re depart back to Mexico City without ever deplaning in the US to avoid that. That is a true story, so the moral of the story, don't ever fly Aero Mexico :)

Photo of Aero Mexico landing at ORD yesterday.

Attached Files:

22. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
  23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It's only a 4 hour drive...I guess road conditions were not good enough so people decided to wait for a flight to take them?

24. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Not all could drive even if they wanted to (and I think 4 hrs would be a very optimistic estimate in a snowstorm--crossing Toronto alone would likely take half of that!) Lots of connections too.