Donnie Callaway remains in custody Phoenix AZ. Grand Jury Indictment | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Donnie Callaway remains in custody Phoenix AZ. Grand Jury Indictment

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by shaughnessy, Apr 11, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Camila

Camila Rookie

Apr 24, 2024
    Full Name:
    C. Bolognia
    I know for a fact some of his current clients had been worn of his criminal history and dismissed it. Now they are paying the price. Callaway is charismatic and smart. Needed qualities for a good con artist.

Doug. and NGooding like this.
  2. NGooding

NGooding Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2021
    Connecticut, USA
    Full Name:
    Nate
    That's wild. I'd bet these are smart, accomplished people too.

3. twinpalms

twinpalms Rookie

Apr 12, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Nathan
    Yeah? Who? Besides Matt Farrah? I would never do business with a known criminal. Not one victim I’ve spoken with knew.

Camila likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Not to sound harsh, but whose due diligence is the issue then? With a history THAT long of criminal doings, I'm perplexed.

Doug. and Rifledriver like this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Everyone doesn't know until they know. FerrariChat users would have known about a year ago with the $130k service 328.

6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Zebra can’t change its stripes, leopard can’t change its spots . . .

Rifledriver and turbo-joe like this.
  7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    A mother will almost always love her son and will seldom abandon him. Just the way it is. Not saying it's right, just the way it is. Of course could be where he learned....

Rifledriver likes this.
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Cowboy Capitol of the World
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Uh, yeah. Something like that.

BMWairhead likes this.
  9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #334 Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 6, 2024
    Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Too bad Gotti or Sammy didn't have an exotic at his shop. Some people don't follow rules.

It also alleges that, on a trip to Belgium, Callaway was left unattended in the plaintiff’s repair shop and intentionally placed small metal pieces in the spark plugs of a $200,000 Ferrari Testarossa, causing the engine to fail.

“After [Callaway] had departed from Belgium, Plaintiff noticed [he] began to make posts on social media regarding the Testarossa, where [he] made such statements, ‘Never to be seen on the road again,’ and ‘It’s [sic] Last Drive,’” the lawsuit says.

Attached Files:

shaughnessy likes this.
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

He’s been coiffed! Did a fellow inmate give him a new style? :eek::D

TheMayor likes this.
  11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think that’s Sammy ‘The Bull” Gravano.

Doug., ShineKen, Jack-the-lad and 2 others like this.
  12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can only speak for myself, and I think I've mentioned this previously, but...

I had discussed Donnie in the abstract with people at C&C events and the like before I ever thought of taking my car to him. Conversations along the lines of "oh there's this guy out in Mojave who works on Ferrari's. I'm thinking of driving out to see his shop". Discounting people like Farrah who claimed he was a genius, there were more than a few people who said they knew Donnie, and who had taken their cars to him or had friends who had taken their cars to him. Not one person warned me off of him. However, AFTER hearing that I had taken my car to him and was in the middle of a mess because of it, almost all of those same people told me their experience had been terrible, or that he'd screwed up their car (or their friends), or that he'd kept someones car forever and they couldn't get it back, etc etc.

The only thing I can attribute this to is embarrassment. People only want to admit they got taken to other people who got taken. Otherwise its just a litany of judgmental bs like "Well I'd never be caught dead doing that" or "how could anyone do THAT" kinda stuff. For that reason I couldn't even get mad at those folks, even though I was obviously thinking "why didn't you tell me this stuff the first time his name came up?!". I chose to speak openly about the negative experience I was having with Donnie, even while he had my car, but I understand why others didn't. They were worried about getting their own cars out in one piece, or they were embarrassed.

Everyone I know who got caught up with Donnie knows what due diligence is. But I never heard a word about Donnie's true nature until I admitted I was neck deep in bs with him. I didn't know he was a criminal convicted of fraud until this thread! But obviously some people, like Farrah, did, and they continued to recommend him without disclosing that.

13. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Excellent post.
    There was a similar guy in Melbourne who stole cars belonging to people whom had been "friends" with him for years. Anyway it all come crashing down with not much to show. The money all gone on hookers, blow, and divorce. What a mess.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    At least he spent the money wisely.

15. NGooding

NGooding Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2021
    Connecticut, USA
    Full Name:
    Nate
    @davemqv, you are a gentleman. I would like to think I'd be as empathetic as you in that situation. I doubt I could be.

Also, it's great that you spoke out about your experience. Like you say, that's probably not easy.

I'm learning some good lessons by observing this saga. Sorry you and so many others had to be in the middle of it.

16. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, the rest he wasted.
    We can laugh, but the guys who lost multi million dollar cars weren't laughing. And he only got like 5 years. It's not right.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. Camila

Camila Rookie

Apr 24, 2024
    Full Name:
    C. Bolognia
    He only served 18 months.

18. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That's shocking.

Bryanp, ggjjr and turbo-joe like this.
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    worldwide no real justice anymore :( :( :(

20. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    A friend knew him and went to the trial just for fun. He dragged me along as I had nuffin else to do. It was incredibly boring but the evidence was overwhelming. I would have given him 20 years with a non parole of 15.

ggjjr and turbo-joe like this.
  21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Cowboy Capitol of the World
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats California.

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Same in Switzerland.
    If I drive 20 mph over the limit on a Swiss road (speeding without causing a crash) I go to jail for two (2) years. And loose my license for several years.
    If I brutally murder a child (not in a car crash) I may get 3 years (provided I find a good lawyer).
    Something is wrong here.

Marcel Massini

afterburner, Flash G, LVP488 and 18 others like this.
  23. twinpalms

twinpalms Rookie

Apr 12, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Nathan
    Same.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But hey, the Italian and German borders are not far away!

NYC Fred and davemqv like this.
  25. Camila

Camila Rookie

Apr 24, 2024
    Full Name:
    C. Bolognia
    Is anyone planning on going to the Callaway hearings in AZ?