DON'T flash your high-beams warning of police! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DON'T flash your high-beams warning of police!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KennyH, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Instead of flashing your high beams, is it also an infraction if you reach out the window and wave your arm up and down as a warning?

2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Hubert,
    I have the same happen to me about once a month. As soon as I find out they are not going to issue me a ticket, I talk to them for exactly 10 seconds before I pretend to receive a phone call and tell them I gotta run otherwise "the kids" are going to be stranded outside the house with no keys. Last time was really funny--the phone rang as I pretended to have this conversation (ie. I couldn't have been talking to anyone), and it was really hilarious to see the slow look of understanding spread on the cop's face as I drove off.

Oppie,
    well done! If I see a cop on a stakeout and have some spare time, I pretend to have a breakdown and stop my car so it's directly blocking their radar beam. Usually, I set the immobiliser (cuts the fuel pump) and then pretend I can't start the car. I open the hood up and force them to get out and have a look. If they try to talk to me, I pretend to get some phone calls and keep them waiting. When they drive off or I get bored, the car miraculously fixes itself.

Jon,
    I have been told that you can only appeal if you can prove that proper procedure was not followed during the trial. I am not sure I buy this, though, so consult an attorney. Good luck!

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    In NY I won on these grounds. If you took the time to appeal I bet you would in Mass as well. It's a federal issue at some point in the appeal process.

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It's "Fruit of the poisoned tree" If evidence was gathered without a proper warrant it can not be used to secure a conviction.

5. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    How much were we betting? Thanks for the response. It started out as fed case 01-40014, then became fed appeals case 02-1133, then something else on S. Ct docket. All a waste of time as the fix was in as my tormentors are political scum, even with video, 3rd party affadavits, records, etc.. A judge is nothing but a political lawyer and as we know lawyers suck. It would make a great mini series Jim.
    T

6. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lucky you guys don't live in Australia ... you should see what the cops can get away with there ...

7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Kenny, yes i am familiar with that road that goes from mammaroneck ave to westchester ave. I was actually on it over the summer and remembered your warning and actually obeyed the speed limit on it and there was a cop on the straight stretch.
    Anyway, as far as i know nothing you did was illegal. ONe of my friends got pulled over for flashing highbeams at oncomming traffic and all he got was a warning from a cop. There may be a local ordinance which makes it as crime. I was under the impression that flashing headlights would be freedom of expression, but im no lawyer.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey in my movies it always turns out ok. (Shakedown) That said I have heard that Mass. is something else.

9. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's an offense to flash lights here (been done for it), we can't use radar detectors (it was a $750 fine plus confiscation of gear) and jammers ($1,500 fine) are a big no-no due to breaking the communications act by transmitting in a licensed spectrum.

But if you are willing to spend the time and lots of money you can get out of just about anything bar drunk driving (and even then I've seen some lenient penalties handed out to people who use "good" lawyers.

The cops here get away with a lot because the Aussie mentality lets them, they have no more rights than what we give them but they do behave badly if you start to stand up for your rights and will threaten and intimidate you to BS their way to a ticket.

Oh, and if you are threatened with a ticket for arguing with them and you continue to argue they do give you a ticket and there is no comeback as they normally do this in sight of their partner and will lie accordingly in court and this adds considerably to the fine and court costs (been there done that).

Some cops are quite good though and if I have my son in the car when pulled over they will often chastise me and let me off with a warning , which strangely has the same effect as a fine in that I will drive strictly to the letter of the law for several months before slipping back to my old habit of speeding (not superfast but brisk)

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Yepp, Bryant Avenue...

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think I read the first 5 posts then skipped the rest. This stuff pisses me off. Any time you feel a cop is an ass for no reason... 9mm his chest a few times. And when he his gasping for air on the ground ask him if you can go. I'm sure he will say yes. Ok that may be too much but my point is most cops are pu**ies. If they get in your face, stare them in the eye and don't back down. {Remember don't actually touch them!!!}
    Ahahaha Prove it! works for me all of the time.

12. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Ahh I think you're going a bit too far. Most cops aren't *******, there are a few bad eggs who give them bad reputations, much like lawyers, accountants and politicians... I think you have a better chance of getting a ticket by being a harda$$ then just accepting your wrong doing and trying to get him to feel bad for you.

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Maybe in New York. Up in Canada {Quebec} last week 60 Police officers were held inside their own police station! I flipped a car in the middle of the day and didn't get a ticket. I know a few officers personally and they try to avoid unpleasant situations. They act tough like we did back in grade three when the grade ones were watching. I don't fear or respect any cop I have "run into".

14. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I think it is an offence to flash your high beams, you could blind someone and cause a wreck, But they can't do anything about flashing the low beams off and on. Just a thought.