donv; lookin to trade up? | FerrariChat

donv; lookin to trade up?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tritone, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I actually have several hundred hours in Jet Commanders-- my first jet experience. Unfortunately, they are not legal to fly in the US any more... There might be a few running around South America, but I'm not even sure about that at this point.

Fun airplane, sort of scary on takeoff, and you were always running out of fuel.

I flew this one a few times...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Juan-Manuel Fantango and tritone like this.
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Why? Please.

4. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Noise regulation I would guess.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, noise. There are hush kits available for the 20-series Learjets, which also use the CJ-610, so in theory it's possible but the cost to develop and flight test an STC would be prohibitive. And then, there is another problem: RVSM, which limits the airplane to flying below FL290 or above FL410, neither of which works well for the Jet Commander. Again, a solution could be developed but the cost to certify it would be prohibitive, and would almost certainly require a new autopilot, which is even more money.

All of these issues were resolved for the 20-series Learjets, but they are a more viable airplane, even today. They are much better performers, sexier, more fun to fly... just more desirable. Someone is restoring Frank Sinatra's Learjet 23, for instance. No one is bothering with Arthur Godfrey's Jet Commander (does anyone even remember Arthur Godfrey?).

Neil Armstrong set all sorts of records in a Learjet 28, which I believe is also potentially being restored. Again, nothing like that for the Jet Commander.

The big issue for the Jet Commander was weight. The Learjet 24 that I flew had a maximum takeoff weight of something like 11,800 pounds. The Jet Commander had an EMPTY WEIGHT of over 10,000 pounds and a maximum takeoff weight of 18,500 pounds-- on the same engines!

Ak Jim, sigar, tritone and 1 other person like this.
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Still available Donv......and the price is getting right........
    "Also this Private Jet for Sale 1966 AREO COMMANDER 1121 JET • $18,000 • ASKING PRICE SLASHED • 1966 Areo Commander Jet GE610 Twin Jet Needs Some Inspections Parked at Air Port, about 6000 Hours Very Clean, Not certified to Fly at this Time , Contact Nick Crosby 1-541-579-7501 cell or 541 689 7502 STOLEN LOGS, This Jet is located in St.louis Mo

Soon they will pay you to ferry/tow it out in the dark of night.......:D

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like right now it is only suitable for a lawn art piece, unfortunately.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Somebody actually called the service center I use and asked about this airplane! I couldn't believe it.

While I'm still convinced the ad is a scam, I did find a picture of old N234G in St Louis as of 2019... next time I'm there (probably next spring), I'll have to take a look. Looks like it is parked at the little air museum at St. Louis downtown airport. Originally sold new to Diamond Shamrock.

10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Commander may have flown over to another parking space; museum has upgraded to a newer larger 4-engine derelict........:cool:

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's better than a single engine derelict like me.

tritone likes this.
  12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you're talking about the JetStar, that's been there for many, many years. I'm sure the Jet Commander didn't fly anywhere, but it might have been chopped up. How much is aluminum going for by the pound?

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Is there $18,000 of aluminum in a Commander?
    Bet it would be costly to move tho…….

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would guess about 10,000 pounds in a Jet Commander. Maybe 9000. Empty weight, as I recall, was around 10,500 - 11,000 but obviously some of that is engines, avionics, interior, etc.

Bring your Sawzall!

I flew Jet Commander #7 to the smelter. Well, to the dismantler who was taking it to the smelter.

15. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So I take it you didn't fly it home.... ;):D

Jedi

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Well, I flew it on it's last flight. I assume they cut it up and trucked it to the smelter.

N234G, the airplane that is the subject of this thread, is serial number 28 (I think?) and as far as I can tell, has not been melted down yet. But that is most likely in it's near future.

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Might be kind of cool to turn it into an AIR b&b, extra emphasis on the air!

tritone likes this.
  18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I have already investigated this idea; great novelty factor, but the hassle of permitting makes it impossible, even if you have the space.

Ak Jim likes this.
  19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Jet Commander is way too small for that sort of thing. A G-II might work, but even that is a bit on the small side. Need an airliner for that.

tritone and Ak Jim like this.