News

donv; lookin to trade up?

Discussion in 'AviatorChat.com' started by tritone, Jan 2, 2021.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I actually have several hundred hours in Jet Commanders-- my first jet experience. Unfortunately, they are not legal to fly in the US any more... There might be a few running around South America, but I'm not even sure about that at this point.

Fun airplane, sort of scary on takeoff, and you were always running out of fuel.

I flew this one a few times...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone likes this.
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Why? Please.

5. RudyP

RudyP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Noise regulation I would guess.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, noise. There are hush kits available for the 20-series Learjets, which also use the CJ-610, so in theory it's possible but the cost to develop and flight test an STC would be prohibitive. And then, there is another problem: RVSM, which limits the airplane to flying below FL290 or above FL410, neither of which works well for the Jet Commander. Again, a solution could be developed but the cost to certify it would be prohibitive, and would almost certainly require a new autopilot, which is even more money.

All of these issues were resolved for the 20-series Learjets, but they are a more viable airplane, even today. They are much better performers, sexier, more fun to fly... just more desirable. Someone is restoring Frank Sinatra's Learjet 23, for instance. No one is bothering with Arthur Godfrey's Jet Commander (does anyone even remember Arthur Godfrey?).

Neil Armstrong set all sorts of records in a Learjet 28, which I believe is also potentially being restored. Again, nothing like that for the Jet Commander.

The big issue for the Jet Commander was weight. The Learjet 24 that I flew had a maximum takeoff weight of something like 11,800 pounds. The Jet Commander had an EMPTY WEIGHT of over 10,000 pounds and a maximum takeoff weight of 18,500 pounds-- on the same engines!

sigar, tritone and RudyP like this.