door check / detent on US 85 308QV | FerrariChat

door check / detent on US 85 308QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by Cuddy K, Aug 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    Hi Guys,

My driver's door check/detent has been making a knocking sound since I got the car and I planned on fixing it this winter. But today...I opened the door and heard a snap, followed by no knocking at all (which was kinda nice).

Closer inspection showed that the metal bar on the door is no longer connected to the check strap in the body. Seems the roll pin or whatever mates the two pieces together has broken. I searched but couldn't find any threads on this. Maybe I'm not using the right terms.

Has anyone addressed this issue? Have a good source for a replacement part? I suppose I could get by just reconnecting the halves...but since they're apart anyway, i figure I 'might as well' address the knocking detent.

Thanks!

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My car did that for a couple months. Hell annoying. Then the pin broke. Blissful silence, but door was free to open 180° and self-harm.

I didn't easily find a duplicate pin that is split in halves, but instead used a standard roll pin. So 3 repair options:

1. Find a perfect replacement, hammer it in with a punch
    2. Buy this kit from your local store (Lowe's, Harbor Freight) and use the one that fits
    3. PM me you address and I'll mail you a pin from the kit

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    Thanks so much, Thorn. I really appreciate the info and offer. I have the same roll pin assortment from HF. Very handy.

Seems http://www.italiancarparts.com/specialty_ferrari.html has the OEM pins for 60 bucks, but they look a whole lot like the 2 dollar ones used in my Porsche 914. Will post if they fit!

Anyone else here fix a knocking detent?

thorn likes this.