door locks | FerrariChat

door locks

Discussion in '348/355' started by big kahuna, Mar 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    got into my car (f355)this morning to start it and move it out of the way so i could drive a another car. i don't lock the car in my garage, so i went through the normal starting procedure: click the alarm and wait for the double beep, put the key into the ignition and waited to shift to "n". the car started without any problem, but for some reason the door's locked automatically. i moved the car out of the way and shut it down. i could not get out. i tried to manually pull the lock up, but it would not stay. i tried using the remote and it unlocked and quickly re-locked again. i tried holding the lock open with my hand and pulling the door lever to get out and still no lock. i was trapped in my car. had no choice, but to go out through the window (nascar style). this was not pretty considering my size, but i managed to get my fat arse out the window. how to get back in is the better question? anybody have any advice on what the problem may be? very puzzled, i have never had one issue with the car, and now all kinds of electrical issues are racing through my head. any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. cheers, kelly

2. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    i appreciate the help.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I would guess a short on the door lock switch.

4. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    It was just the car showing how much she missed you. I think she felt hurt cause you were going to drive the other car. I think it is kinda cute actually. Hey! Big boys need lovin' too. That was her thoughts I bet. lol

On a serious note. There has to be a way because my car does not have the alarm system in it, rather just remote locks. Of course I installed an aftermarket alarm but, I am sure there is a way.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    No one should post on a public forum a way to disable a security system.

Though, I'm pretty sure your issue has nothing to do with the alarm.

Were you sitting on the alarm fob?

6. 355 Pablo

355 Pablo Karting

May 24, 2006
    Glendora, CA
    When I first got my car, my daughter got out and didn't close the passenger door all the way and the car wouldn't lock... Yours is the opposite! Strange!

7. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    i don't think it has anything to do with the alarm. even when if i manually pull up the lock i cannot open the door. looks like i am going to have to crawl my way back into the car and take it to f.c.a and let them figure it out. any chance it could be a fuse?

8. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I believe this is a common problem with a little plastic bushing somewhere in the latch assembly. I have not seen the cause myself, but I have experienced the problem. If it ever happens at home I will take the door apart. (5 minutes)

JM

9. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    jm, the problem is i cannot get the door open to fix. it literally will not unlock, even if i pull the latch and hold it up and lift the door latch. thanks for the ideas though........

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I'm thinking it is the alarm system. I actually had this happen in another car - can't remember which one. Was either the BMW M3 or the 348 Spider. I think I turned the ignition on, locked and unlocked the doors with the car running and that cleared it. I believe the alarm is telling the car that the doors should be locked and u need to get the car to tell the alarm that this is not the case.

Might be worth disconnecting the battery for a while too. Question: is your alarm set up for the doors to auto-unlock when the ignition is turned off? If yes, then that may be a source of trouble (confused instructions sent to brain).

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Turn the battery off first.

12. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Same thing happened to me. It would lock and then immediately unlock. I got out ,opened and shut the passanger door, and it locked normally.

Darrell.

13. 355 Pablo

355 Pablo Karting

May 24, 2006
    Glendora, CA
    Do you think it might be the remote button sticking?

14. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    well, followed your advice and disconnected the battery and re-connected -- this seems to have solved the problem. the car is fine and acting normal, but i am still stumped to know why it happend in the first place? i guess it's just a matter of time before it happens again. once again thanks for the all of the advice. cheers, kahuna

15. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    With Italian electronics, it is best not to question why. If it happens again, just recycle the battery connections like you did to clear it.

16. Skipper

Skipper Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Full Name:
    Frank Drebin
    when you say recycle the battery you mean disconnect and reconnect?