Door panel excitement!!! | FerrariChat

Door panel excitement!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone!

Now my driver's side window won't go back up all the way. First step is to remove the door panel. I found one of the screws under the top of the handle, but where is the other one (on a standard testarossa)? My TR's interior was redone in ostrich leather before I got it. Can you tell me where your panel screws are?

Thanks, as always! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And actually, after consulting the parts diagram, I can't see anything else that's holding the door panel on. How do you get the door panel off?

Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ostrich leather?! Wow must be unique!

4. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    Can we get a pic of the seats?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Check up under the armrest piece and/or along the edge of the door where it wraps around the jamb and underneath. I haven't worked on a TR, but that's a common place on other models from that era.

6. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #6 jgmblair, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    You need to carefully remove the fibreglass door pocket #23 in the parts diagram. In there you will find 2 x 10mm bolts and the release for he door handle. There are a bunch 8 or 1o phillips head screws around the perimeter of the panel, you must also open up the little ashtray door and pull out the orange plastic light holder and remove the black manual door lock thing. Once you are in you can see how the glass is held in place with 2 alen head bolts that compress the window wire. If you have some mechanical knowledge it's a pretty simple design and you can see how the spring mechanism at the bottom of the door will dictate the travel of the window in the fully open or fully closed position. Let me know if you need any more info, I literally did this last week! Search for "slow window fix" you will see a bunch of pics and descriptions.
    Cheers

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Awesome, thanks everyone (and especially Jeff Blair!) I'll check it out next weekend!

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And do send us lots of photo's please Joe :D

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lol will do!

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok I'm getting in! Question: does this door lock just unscrew like in every other car I've seen? This one doesnt want to budge! Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Btw yes once you get that tray out, there are 2 10mm bolts. Once you take those out you can easily pull the panel away from the door. Once I can get that door lock plunger off I'll be able to take it off!

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Imo it screws ...

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I unsrew mine, but it was not easy on one side and a little thing was broken

14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lol that sob wouldn't unscrew so I just undid it a little further down the line at the green clip. Thats how I got the door handle actuator off too. Just gently compress one side of the green clip, bend it back gently and slide out the wire. Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  16. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Soooo... after watching the insides of the door operate when the switch is depressed, it appears that all the wires are acceptably tight. The symptom is that the window will roll down just fine, but when you try to roll it up it will go up less with each try. For example, it started stopping about an inch from the top, then i went all the way down and then it would only go up to about 2 inches from the top, etc. now it's about 5 inches from the top. Interesting point though: the motor stops at the new stopping point. It shuts off, which makes me wonder if there's a 'stop' somewhere that's slipping and telling the motor to stop prematurely. Does anyone know how these windows know when to stop? Thanks, as always!

17. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Joe have you rebuilt the window motors? The winding gear from the factory is full of a grease that by now has probably hardened into a gum like substance. Not a fun job :(

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Joe,
    There is no limit stop when the window goes up. It just loads the motor down. Like Jeff said above, the main problem is dried up hardened grease like tar in the motor gearbox! You have to disassemble the gearbox and clean out old grease. Replace with synthetic grease. There is cable tool listed somewhere that keeps the cable together to help with reassembly. Block the window up with wood block, to keep the window up when you disassemble the cable. Make a diagram of the cable before you disassemble. It is kind of crazy pulley set up. It is tedious but can be done by self.

19. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Joe,
    If Dynamat? someone was in there before. My original had a clear plastic sheet.

20. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll look at rebuilding the motor. Is there a way to manually raise the window to its highest point? I think I'd need to do that first in order to get the best access to the motor?

And yes, the dynamat is from when they redid the interior in ostrich before I got it. :)

21. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Oh man! I love playing around with my car but doing those damn window motors are something I never want to do again. Such a small space to work in and that cable is a PITA to get back in place. Take lots of pictures for your own reference and search here. I also purchased the Rodney Dickman window accelerators, you can go to his website and read his info. Much to my surprise, i found the factory tool in my window motor that is used to hold the wire in place while you refit things. Let me know when you are going to tackle this and I will send it to you so you can use it.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/whats-this.403802/

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    RE the lock.....yes it unscrews, counter clockwise while looking down from above. You can put your hand under the window and push the button up to try and assist it.

The gear box job is a pain but it basically a needed item at this age. Cant really add anything to Ago's post and I would take up Jgmblairs's offer to borrow the cable tool. It makes a frustrating job a little easier. Its one of those jobs where you do one side, look at the other window and think, 'Not today'.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The tool in post #21 is what you need to refit the cable. I believe (been a long time since I did mine) Block the window, remove cable set up and you can push the window up manually. Hold the glass up with a wood block or rubber door stop.

24. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
  25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name: