Door panel material | FerrariChat

Door panel material

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, May 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The original door panel material is tempered hardboard. The metal clips chew it up easily when installing them. Has anyone used something better? I usually like to go original but might waver on this as it is unseen.

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I tried this material, easy to cut and drill etc

https://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/products/panels/plywood/birch-plywood/thin-finnish-birch

Once i fitted it i didnt really like how it fitted on the door, difficult to explain but it sat too straight, ie it didnt bend to suit the door, the material was too stiff. May have been better if i used something thinner than the original hardboard but went back to hardboard and much better.

Tony

PS- Dont forget the moisture vapour barrier, i fitted mine to the actual panel rather than the door as thats the bit you want to protect and secondly if you ever need to get inside the door to repair anything you dont have to bust through it.

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Tony, thanks for your experience with plywood. I was thinking of going that route but I guess I will stick with the original tempered hardboard. I saw that pic of your door panel with the vapor barrier attached. Great idea and I will do the same.

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Also look at 0.118" ABS plastic sheet, I used 2'x4' white sheets of this and it's what some shops use.
    I made up cardboard templates then cut the ABS sheets and trimmed to trial fit and drilled the holes for screws and clips. Gave it to a trim shop to glue/staple the vinyl and padded backing, came out great and ABS can bend OK to fit over handles etc. Other plastics are likely too stiff, ABS seems to be the right balance.

+1 on the vapour barrier, the doors have quite an angle on them and water drips onto the backside.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I see a lot of ABS 1/8"/ .0125" sheet on Ebay with free shipping. Do you think the extra .007" will make much of a difference?

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    A 'Post It' folded in half is .007".
    I think it is of no difference.

Regards, Alberto

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #7 dgt, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Got mine from online metals, it's just what they had :)

...just looked again is it's been 4-5 years, part #21776

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Is there an e-bay link? Tried, but no results
    Online M. is too expensive on the shipping, + I have 2 legs of freight.

Regards, Alberto

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alloy 5052 sheeting ?

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The trimmer I used had worked on a lot of Dinos over the years and preferred to stay with the original factory method and use hardboard when replacing old door panels. I tracked down some waterproof plastic for the door membrane that was as close as possible to the original factory material we found on my unrestored car #04054. I can't recall where I got that material as it was 8 years ago now. To add an extra level of waterproofing the trimmer fitted some black plastic sheet to the rear of the door card.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have ordered the ABS sheets so I will see how that works. I had two NOS silver door sealing plastic pieces I found in Italy with Dennis McCann decades ago but alas I can't find them now.

13. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    If you order new sealing pieces and then go to put them away - you'll probably find the ones you put away decades ago. Happens to me all the time :)

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #14 pshoejberg, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    I used the original type hardboard and painted it with a durable two component automotive paint on the backside to establish a failsafe water barrier. Never had any issues since and I often wash my car pouring water down through the window opening. Hardboard is easy to work with and clips etc. will work fine in that material.

The picture below is the original board from 69. Still going strong but not particular straight after years of moister and water intrusion.

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    the edges have the vinyl plus 2 layers of backing rolled over and glued, then strips of edge piping are glued on top of this and the whole thing is stapled to the backing on the rear.
    You can’t staple the alloy, and it all really has to be stapled down I believe.
    I’ve replaced these panels with wood, it’s fine too but the ABS was better to work and fit (cutting with a sharp knife and bend to break).
    Also, you can mark up white panels, black not so much. It’s all hidden so white works.

16. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am going to try gluing my piping on with 3M 1357 adhesive. I've tried a lot of supposedly good contact adhesives but they have all let me down eventually except this 3M product.

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    My soft alloy sheeting suggestion was just another among others and having (successfully) worked with, I know it being a viable option which can be stapled, riveted, etc, but if prepared properly for use with professional grade adhesives, can also be practical solution without any additional attachment hardware, especially if authenticity/originality is not a concern .
    YMMV

18. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My ABS sheets have come in and looks like a good solution to me. I was worried a little that staples would split the plastic but now that I have tried it, no splits and holds great. Bought a Spot Nails air stapler and 3/8 crown with 3/16 leg stainless staples and also 1/4 leg staples all for about $110.

dgt likes this.
  19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott