Door Rattle and Panel Removal | FerrariChat

Door Rattle and Panel Removal

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bill Phillips, Feb 27, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Has anyone removed the interior door panel to address a rattle on a California? I have a pronounced rattle in the passenger door at idle with the window down. It’s much less noticeable with the window up, but it doesn’t go away completely. This video shows the panel removal for a window lift regulator replacement, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with fixing a rattle. Thanks.

2. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    #2 davidtopp, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    I removed my door panels. I found it a ***** of a job to get them to reseat in the top clips properly, it takes a lot of patience. Others may have found it easy. Prying out the speaker panels needs care and you need a quality pry kit to avoid damage. Even the Ferrrari garage broke off one of the clips on the speaker grill when they did it to cure a rattle. Muppets! Never really found what it was but there was foam tape where you wouldn't expect it and they had cut away part of the speaker housing. I discovered this when I replaced the crappy stock paper speakers with something more befitting a Ferrari.
    FIrst thing to remove is the little black plastic triangular cover at the corner of the glass otherwise you might break it pulling off the panel.

Bill Phillips and GNU like this.
  3. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ahh, blessed rattle relief at last! I tackled my rattle problem, which had been getting progressively worse, with some free time this morning. The YouTube video above was a great help, in fact it was absolutely necessary to get this done successfully. After removing the inner panel and looking for the rattle location by pounding moderately with the side of my fist on several places around the door with the window up and down, I found the five (yes, all five) bolts in the pictures below were extremely loose - not even what you would call finger tight. Someone had obviously done work in there before, not fully tightened them when finished, and they gradually loosened over time. Anyway, they are very tight now and the rattle is completely gone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

alex likes this.
  4. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Lucky you, normally rattles are far more difficult to trace.

5. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I was thinking the same thing, and after being angry about whoever had been so careless before, I was really happy to be so fortunate. I was afraid it might be the window lift mechanism or something else that would have been harder to get to.