Door sill / Rocker panel removal 355 | FerrariChat

Door sill / Rocker panel removal 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by ferraridriver, Feb 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You will need to remove the door sill first.

To remove door sill first remove the three screws along the back side under the weather-stripping, it is not necessary to remove the weather-striping, then peel back the rubber insert about two inches from rear and remove screw.

Using a 10 inch cake spatula separate the sill from the adhesive, never pry up, only sideways. You will probably have to tap on the spatula to get it all the way in.

Remember, if you pry up, you will probably have to replace the sill

Once the sill is removed remove the four screws on the bottom, one in the front wheel arch, and the five screws on the top. There are two studs with nuts (10mm socket), one is reached through the air duct under a rubber plug, (Take care not to drop the nut inside the air duct, but when you do it can be fished out with a magnet.) the other is accessible from inside the rear wheel well just behind the radiator.

lanab likes this.
  2. Elliott

Elliott Karting

Jun 28, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Elliott
    Your making me want to go Carbon!

3. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 redzone, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. All ON U

All ON U Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2005
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Sonu
    That's a nice steering wheel !

5. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Anyone know how to best remove the rubber "Ferrari" strip in the OEM door sill plates if you want to re-use it? I have a carbon set with an inset for the OEM rubber strip and am wondering how to transfer it without damage. Thanks!

6. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Fishing line.

7. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Use heat Gun as u move foreword. This is a two man or one man one woman job. I have done this with three women, I did the work they had coffee

Redsteed likes this.
  8. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    I did this job last week as well, was pretty straight forward just take your time.
    A heat gun is a must.
    My car had different adhesives used on the sill on each side; one side had green adhesive which was softer and the passenger side had white adhesive which was rock hard.
    Be sure to remove all the old adhesive before installing the the new sills, this will seem daunting but it's not that bad and a must do.
    The rubber strip just peeled right off my stock sills and reused them using 3M black weatherstripping adhesive

9. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Fixed it for you.... and pics or it never happened. ;)

Use the heat gun and then pull a string underneath the sill and work it across until all is released.

I have the carbon sills and aluminum inserts. Lots of compliments and not too gawdy.

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I just did mine today. The rubber Ferrari came right off as the glue was so old. Pull the bottom weather stripping up to get at the screws.
    used a carving knife with rigidity to slide under the sill. used a slight wrist twisting and the sill begrudgingly came up. Extreme caution so it doesn't bend. There's no way a spatula would have worked.
    There appeared to be two adhesives - one black which dried to a gloss finish and one white. Both were used sparingly.

So the black is Matte? I'm thinking taking them for a powder coating.
    I presume the rubber Ferrari is held down by rubber cement? Contact Cement?
    and use 3M weather stripping adhesive for the sill to body bond?

Anybody find replacement screws?

11. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Screws pt no. 15914977
    Washers pt no. 12642878
    Screw block pt. no. 14115580 Nylon insert.

Fitted some new yesterday. Still available from Ferrari.

12. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    They are still available. but with Ferrari tax, at 3.78 each and you need 6 and probably washers.

I bought 'em. But folks have another source?

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I got the sills back from the powder coater. Rubber cement didn't hold. what did other folks use to bond the black rubber to the painted sill?

Oh, and going on 3 weeks waiting for Ferrari to find the replacement screws & washers.

14. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Note: Don't throw away your old screws & washers. The new ones either the screw head is smaller or the washer hole is larger.

Rubber cement didn't hold the rubber to the metal. Contact cement did.

I tried foam tape to hold the sill to the body. It's not holding. I'll try the weather stripping adhesive next.

15. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The factory uses something just barely softer then liquid nails. Double sided foam tape worked for mine, but if you are still struggling, maybe try a liquid adhesive? The CON is the stronger, the more likely its permanent.

16. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    What about using 3m tape on the metal sills?
    When I installed my carbon fiber sills used the 3m tape and that was many years ago....holding firm.

17. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    :D

I needed that laugh. That's pretty much how my GF helps me until I give her the, "Really?.", look.

18. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How did you guys remove the adhesive from the rocker panels? i have been scraping it with a plastic razor to not damage the paint but it seems to be seriously glued to the panels and will take ages, any better solution to get this off? seems like butyl but i might be wrong....

19. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I managed to remove all residue with rubber alcohol and plastic scraper.

I have another problem as i want to remove the rocker panel for paint, the inner nut thru the air duct is impossible to even reach with the arm as the openiing is too narrow or my arm is too thick.

Anyone managed to do this? It seems you need to have a size of a child arm, very bad design...

20. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Does anyone have a good comp to 15914977 or know the specs of the screws?