Dr Who Becomes Dr Maser | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dr Who Becomes Dr Maser

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Texas Forever, Feb 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Very cool, Dale. Congrats!

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I just got a cell call from wife. Says that the Mardi Gras is still happening. Car is doing fine. Don't worry about waiting up...

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Uhh..I don't have a camera. If you remember, when I got the yellow Ducati, it took me 3 months to get the film finished in my 35mm, and then finally get it on CD from Costco and finally post it for you. :) Not all of us are filthy rich, with billion dollar Van Guard accounts, ya know ;)

Dr. Tax, (the only name of yours I prefer) :)

Congratulations. Stunning color it sounds like. Enjoy the car in good health. Let me know how it compares to the TT tip that you used to have. :)

-Your wannabe son

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I see the good Dr. is chomping once again on the Italian bit.

Congratulazioni!

5. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Congrats on the Spyder! You'll love the car (if you ever get a chance to see it).

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #31 FarmerDave, Feb 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Very nice. I like it.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is very surprising how enjoyable the car really is. I'm actually driving it more in auto than the flippers. The trick appears to be to slightly lift before the shift point and then floor it. Very smooth and very-very powerful. Think Steve McQueen in the green mustang in Bullit. All this puppy needs is a Tubi to be a rock 'n rock animal.

Dale

10. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    So when is the Tubi going on?

Congrats!

11. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Dale,

The Spyder will be re-born with a Tubi. Turns a very fun car into a real Italian Sports car. I constantly have people coming up to me saying how much they like the sound of our Spyder.

Run, don't walk, to the dealer for that Tubi.

Brad

12. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    #37 scott61, Feb 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice, I see it's a Vintage. Looks like the one Motor Trend reviewed. Now hurry and get he Tubi, Besides better sound the tips are a little bigger and look better

Road Test: 2004 Maserati Spyder Vintage
    Improved, inspired Italian

By Matt Stone
    Photography by John Kiewicz
    Motor Trend, June 2004

We went gaga over Maserati's delectable Spyder the first time we drove it at its 2002 introduction. What's not to like? Great style, a polished yet fearsome V-8, and a comfy cabin covered in supple, aromatic leather as only the Italians can stitch it. Then we hit a railroad track, and the chassis shook like a dog that just climbed out of a swimming pool. Maserati heard the cry and has worked to improve the chassis' torsional rigidity over the al dente nature of the original. The availability of a new Vintage trim package was all the inducement we needed to check back in to see how the Spyder had progressed.

In a word, nicely. The Vintage model is mechanically identical to the standard Spyder, but earns several handsome trim upgrades. These include chrome air-exhaust vents in the front fenders, a new polished wheel design, silver-finished brake calipers, chrome door handles, and other revised bits. The upmarket jewelry is effective in recalling several classic Maser models.

This car works well as a convertible, too. Although it's a softtop, and not a retractable hardtop like those on competitors such as the Mercedes-Benz SL and Cadillac XLR, the Spyder's top is a one-touch operation, and everything hides neatly beneath the rear deck cover. There's no manual latching or unlatching required, the rollover-protection bars are well- integrated into the design, and the top is rich- looking and thickly padded. Top down, noise levels are commendably low, but more-than-expected traffic noise crept inside when the top was closed.

We'll say it again: This engine is one of today's great V-8s. It draws nearly as much horsepower from 4.2 liters as does Jaguar's R-spec powerplant, but without the aid of a supercharger. The Maserati feels so alive: revvy, cammy, with a rich, mellifluous burble and a Texas-wide torque curve. The Cambiocorsa sequential manual gearbox remains a mixed bag, however. It doesn't suffer the power losses of a conventional automatic, but can be fooled into jerky upshifts or slow kickdowns. One recent improvement was the addition of a first gear/Drive function to the Reverse gear toggle switch on the console, which makes parking and Y-turns a lot easier.

Maserati knows how to do gran turismo. Any sportier, and the Spyder would feel too much like a hard-edged sports car. Any softer, and it would lack driving thrill. It's a performer under any terms, running head to head with a Corvette roadster. There are ergonomic nits to pick, and it's pricey--all of which means the Spyder isn't for everyone. And that's just the way Maserati likes it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Hey, Dale,

I have got the same color combo (rosso bologna, crema/nero), but in a 6 speed coupe !
    Congrats.
    One word of advice. Do NOT turn off the traction control. Really...
    :)

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, let's see here. Letme turn off dis little button off to see what happens --

WELL, ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I ROCK 'N ROLLED!

15. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Very nice, and in my favorite color also.
    Enjoy to the fullest.