Dragon Rapide crash at Abbotsford | FerrariChat

Dragon Rapide crash at Abbotsford

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Aug 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The Historic Flight Foundation's Dragon Rapide was involved in a crash on take off at the Abbotsford Air Show to day. The owner, John Sessions was injured as well as 4 others. Reports that the airplane was rolling left and right before the right wing dug into the runway and hammered the nose into the ground. I'm wondering what took off before him and what the timing space was. I was flagged off for take off behind the Boeing 247 at the end of the show and it was all I could do to stay upright until I climbed above the prop wash and turbulence. As I was working the airplane my son yelled, " Dad!" and we watched the right landing gear of the 247 break loose as it was rolling down the runway. They pulled up and the landing gear dangled from wing as they flew away. They didn't have any radio at the time and they were unaware of the problem until they landed at Boeing Field.

2. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#3 Tcar, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Dragon Rapide is such an interesting looking aircraft... in service for decades.

Saw a video of one in flight, the engine instruments were actually on the engine cowlings... oil pressure, etc. Aer Lingus
    Pilot looked out the windows to see the instruments.

Here it is, go to about 3:05:

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I apologize for getting carried away and rambling. I just read a report that stated turbulence ('bad air")was a factor in the lose of control and that the air show had ended when the incident took place. Very serious injuries to two occupants reported.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Hopefully both the passengers and the plane can be repaired

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The Ford Tri- Motor also had instruments mounted on one of the nacelle struts.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    As a child in the mid 70s we flew an air Seychelles rapide from
    Mahe to prain island. Landed on a dirt road between the palms.

Plane had wicker seats and the pilot said it was ex-air Zambia. Two years later they were using Norman islanders and the rapids was nowhere to be seen. Hopefully it was saved by a collector before the sychelles climate reduced it to mold