Dressings vs conditioners | FerrariChat

Dressings vs conditioners

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by turbomangt, Jul 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    Their has been much talk on the forums about the difference between dresssings and conditioners. Most of the interiors in todays auto's are made up of not only leather and leather bi products but also plastic, vinyl and rubber. Automotive leather is ty-dyed which means painted to match other components. Over time leather will dry out and become brittle and crack. When you see this evolve, you will notice a different color under the material, which is showing the dye fading away. It is essential to condition leather 3-4 times a year to keep it looking its best. Other material like rubber, plastic, and vinyl should be sprayed with a water based dressing. Areas that require this are tires, wheel wells, door trim, and dash. Rememebr NOT to dress painted components, these areas should be treaed just as your paint. The difference between dressing and conditioners are simply this, Conditioners will soak in the surface (like leather) and will restore the oils lost due to humidity, tempurature, and age. Dressings (some have UV protection,) will sit on the surface and act as a barrier from outside contaminents while giving a "new" look or refreshed appearence. A final word, stay away from solvent based dressings, they will damage paint, and over time break down rubber. Gary www.perfectautofinish.com

2. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Hey Gary,

So when are you going to give us Fchatters some free samples of your product? I am not big into detailing my cars down to the A/C vents and worrying about what material is best for the texture of the chrome wheels, etc... Its not that I do not have an interest it is just a new area for me.

Micro-fiber is your marque product correct? Or is it the actual service you provide. Would you mind acting upon my curiosity and give me a watered down explination, ( no use of the 4000 fibers per strand or inward milimeter water absorbtion of a square inch of fabric. ) Just tell me how certain products, namely your micro-fiber works better than a Sahmois cloth I use. Like others, I am sure some days I will spend an entire Sunday working on making my H2 shine or other's just want to wash the outside. Do the micro-fiber's soak up a lot, leave no streaks, save time drying over a plain and simple used towwel rag? There are different micro-fibers for different jobs, ie: interior and wheels?

You see this Wash and Dry set up in a bottle with Mr. Clean promising an awesome job? Your opinion on that? You prefer a particular wax, Zymol, Mothers?

These materials you see work with other careful maintence goods? For example, would they clean weapon sites, sun or eye glasses, certain types of plexi-glass?

That's all for now, I appriciate your expert opinion. Send us Fchatters some samples so we can try them out!!!

RocketBoy