Drive shaft bearing and rear trans seal/bearing | FerrariChat

Drive shaft bearing and rear trans seal/bearing

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Nov 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    My winter plans include changing the center bearing in the drive shaft which has been making noise for some time. While at it I hope to replace the auto trans rear seal and maybe the output shaft bearing. So I have a few questions for those that have done this job:

-How difficult is it to move the diff to the rear? Car will be on my lift and manual says to support trans with a pole jack which I can improvise. Once mounts are unbolted is a pry bar or similar needed to move the diff? Easy? How far back, is it still in the slots or must it go further?
    - Once the out tube is out of the way can the rear auto trans seal be replaced easily? How about the bearing, can it be changed without removing the Ferrari adapter piece?

I am ordering parts now and will dig into this after my FCA region's holiday party.
    Ken

2. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    Hello Ken,

Easily? Relative term with these cars. Just recently did this and the rear wheel bearings. Get the car high as you can on heavy duty jack stands. To facilitate removal of diff /tq tube assy get a hold of a high lift jack under the diff to roll and lower gradually.

Purchase a 400i factory service manual reprint online. It details the process. There are specific details which would take a while to type here pertaining to proper positioning of the shaft itself, half shaft seal and pinion seal replacement. Also, very important to note position of coupling on rear of drive shaft during removal.

Cleaning everything properly and using correct sealers is important. Half shaft flange seals require removal of housing shims , cleaning and using I believe Hylomar on them. Half shaft bolt/tabed washer s also must be cleaned/sealed (DIRKO). There is Loctite spline specific product on the half shaft splines and must be cleaned and re-applied properly. Pinion ring nut is left hand thread, and a sealer used on sleeve. Ferrari did not use a "crush" sleeve as other makes used to set pinion so you can replace that seal. Like all this stuff, read, re-read and re-read the factory manual before doing something the first time. Is a bit of work, but rewarding when done correctly.

Getting the drive shaft splines to engage the coupling is tricky. Clean internal splines of coupling and shaft splines, then apply a moly paste on both. Lots more to thi sbut these tips should help a bit. Get factory parts!

I detailed everything when out, replaced rear cover gasket too. Turned out fine........

Godspeed!
    Dave

3. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    How many miles do you guys have?

4. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    GT, 65K+ miles and I drive 4-5K per year. See article in April 2012 (or was it 13?) Forza.

Dave
    It is the center drive shaft I am removing from transmission to diff. I think you aer describing changing the CV joints in the half shafts. Confirm.

Ken

5. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Ah ha. I'm at about 66k and when I went to change the cv joints I found a surprising amount of play in the differential flange. Combine that with a weepy drive shaft tube, weepy front seal on the diff and I'm going to do the same job you're planning, to start this weekend. While there's some satisfaction in doing repairs I am usually happy bolting on a shiny new part vs wrestling with 35yr old bolts. I may have everything out and on the bench next week and will keep you posted.

6. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Thanks GT; I look forward to your report.
    Ken

7. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Is there a preferred source for the wsm?

8. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    Ken, No all I outlined is in regard to the center drive shaft. I excluded details on bearing removal since that is fairly straight forward. The details I listed are confirmed in the 412 workshop manual, important to a successful refurb. Trust me here and read the manual.

Might be able to copy and scan that section if needed, let me know.................

Godspeed!
    Dave

9. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    Well....yes it does list suggestions for doing the center drive shaft, pinion seal and half shaft flanges. Highly suggest doing it all while it is out.

Concerning the center drive shaft, the caution listed in the manual is to be aware of the position of the shaft at the rear in regard to the "as installed" gap from the end of the actual drive shaft to the pinion shaft. This is hidden by the splined coupler. If this is not right, apparently you can , without intention, butt up against the tranny output shaft during re-install, wrongfully loading the tranny shaft.

To ease re-install, lube the drive shaft splined clamp and shaft splines with a moly paste......

Godspeed!
    Dave

10. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave

I have the 400i shop manual and have read it completely with respect to this job even if it is split into two locations in the manual. This manual seems less comprehensive than the 412 manual. I make a habit of match marking most parts with paint pens before separating them; my car must have 50 paint marks on it if you look in right places! I use moly grease or often Silkolene grease to slide splines together.

How was it moving the diff to the rear? With jack taking the weight does it move easily? Did you need a pry bar to move it? How far back did you have to move it, out of the slots?

Car has had its last ride for the year; it was quite pleasant. Now it is up onto the lift and I will degrease it one day and start tearing things apart the next. My job on the rear suspension is postponed for time being based on input from Jeff LeBlond who needs to build some new replacement parts. Drive shaft parts have been ordered. Job will not likely be done until holiday weeks.

Ken

11. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Ken, I pulled the differential out today. Most of the bolts are accessible. The top 2 of 8 nuts that secure the tube to the rear if the transmission are hard to reach. I used a socket, u-joint then long extension to get to it. A breaker bar got things started then I used an air ratchet to zip them off. The bolts inside the tube that secure the clamp around the splines were nearly frozen in place. Once everything is off then best method is to place the diff on a transmission jack. You will need a pry bar to move it back. Without a jack you will need two friends to help. We're about to get our first snow storm of the season so depending on accumulation I may get some good hours in the garage this weekend or I may get skunked.

12. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Car will be on the lift next weekend and I will start into the job with a clean up first. I'll get in touch if I have issues. Thanks for input to date.
    Ken

13. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Once the car is up in the air I'd soak the nuts & bolts in pb blaster or something similar. A day or two and multiple applications can really help. If you do not have all of your bearings and seals, locknuts, etc. in hand you might contact David at Ferrari Service of Bedford, NH for a 'kit' of what you need. I'm dropping of the diff to his shop tomorrow so he can do the tough stuff.

14. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Only parts I am changing are the center bearing and the rear trans seal.

15. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #15 GT Jones, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    GT
    Since there is a circlip on the side you are looking at, it should come out that way. Get the split collar out of the way and then remove the circlip. (you'll need a straight in circlip pliers.) If you can see the edge of the seal, it will come out towards you. Use a seal puller, corkscrew on the end of a shaft or flex shaft. To install the new seal, find a socket or bearing installer that is just the size to push the outer diameter of the seal.

You are now at least 10 days ahead of me!
    Ken

17. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Ken, It looks like there are 3 seals in there for a combined price of about $340 from Ricambi. Wow! I haven't had such sticker shock since I bought some coolant hoses from SR.

18. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #18 GT Jones, Dec 19, 2013
  19. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Christian
    I do not plan to take the diff out. I only have to slide it to the rear enough to pull center drive shaft.

I am surprise at the diff in the pics; that looks like a lubrication failure or bad set up. I prefer to leave diff's well enough alone. If they don't make noise they still have 50K miles left in them.
    Ken

20. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    GT
    I thought the pic was the tail end of the trans. I just got my bearing and that seal yesterday. The seal is quite large in diameter. Bearing is from normal bearing shop and I will record that number.
    Ken

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I agree it shouldn't look that bad, there's a reason why it is. The challenge is to figure it out.

22. Godspeed!

Godspeed! Karting

Dec 1, 2006
    Mandeville, Louisian
    Full Name:
    Dave Foley
    Sorry, I have been away for work. There is a large o ring which seals the tranny seal/bearing carrier and a smaller one which is on the output shaft that is supposed to close the leak path of the slines.

Believe it or not this carrier can be removed with tranny in place. makes changing shaft seal easier and more precise. Very tricky, but have done it.

Yes, match marking is a good practice.

The Ferrari pinion settings are not accomplished with a crush collar, but shims. You can replace the pinion seal without altering the settings. Getting nut off is not easy, I always replace nut with new. But as said earlier, there is a collar thingie which needs the proper sealer on it also. Of course degreasing before applying.

Godspeed!
    Dave

23. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    GT and others
    Well I am into the job now and confused by the manual and parts book relative to the coupling between the center drive shaft and the gearbox. Page E34 says,
    "-Through the holes (with an 's') in the large tube loosen the four screws that tighten the sleeve joining the propeller shaft and the gearbox output shaft."

Well I only have ONE hole in the large tube which means I only have access to TWO bolts to loosen the sleeve (coupling). With the two bolt quite loose the split in the sleeve seems to have opened up quite a bit. I can't imagine that there are two more bolts on the coupling that are still tight. I think I have been able to marginally slide the coupling longitudinally, but not sure of that in the tight space.

Okay, are there two bolts or four on that sleeve? The parts book shows four but it does not give the bolt a part # which would also say how many. If four, how the heck do you get to the other two thru the one hole that I have.

I'll wait a bit for some answers since there are enough other things to do before sliding the diff back.

I got fooled by the English version of the manual about which end of the drive shafts to unbolt. The English version says to unbolt form the "axle" so I assumed that meant the stub axle at the wheel. When I read the French version it says to unbolt from the "pont" which is bridge and refers to the differential. So I will be reversing that step soon.

Hope to hear from you folks soon about the coupling.
    Ken

24. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #24 GT Jones, Dec 29, 2013
    There are 4 bolts but I only loosened two- see pic below
    You will disconnect the tube at the transmission end (8 nuts) and disconnect the axle shafts then loosen the 2 diff mounts and slide everything back. Pm or call me and I can talk you through it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    GT
    Manual is just plain wrong. I read both the English and French say loosen 4 bolts (Italian too). My little finger could touch on bolt on the tranny side of coupling. Then I noticed that the split in the hub stopped, so the whole coupling is not split. When I rechecked the parts book, even those rough sketches show that there are separate splits on each end. So that part of job is done. The 8 bolts between the tube and trans were not too bad; extensions plus a swivel did the trick.

My struggle is something that should just not be tough. The Allen head bolts on the half shafts are requiring incredible amount of torque to break free and even after breaking it takes more turns to get loose. I have been using a 2 foot long breaker bar and have ruined three 6mm "sockets" so far. Last task last evening was buying two more of those tools. So off to the garage shortly to get those half shafts undone.

I'll PM if / when I struggle with moving diff back. That may not be today at the pace I am going.
    Ken