Driver's door not latching | FerrariChat

Driver's door not latching

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by KickinTheTires, Nov 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KickinTheTires

Jan 30, 2005
    Along 495 (MA)
    1999 456: when I try to close the driver's door, it just bounces open (no latching). It seems the latch mechanism inside the door end strikes the door frame "peg" in the appropriate spot, but the internal catch in the door will not stay engaged. Any ideas? Thanks in advance....

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does the door go flush with the body when you push on the door? Or is the latch on the door locked and preventing closure? Can you use the key to make sure the door is completely unlocked?

Are the interior lock levers in the unlocked position?

3. KickinTheTires

Jan 30, 2005
    Along 495 (MA)
    The door goes flush and then bounces out (because it does not latch). I can use the key and it is unlocked. The interior lock lever is indeed in the unlocked position. This morning I had to push the door flush and work the key to the locked position twice and eventually that caused the door to latch. We will see if that works again when I get in the car to leave work tonight!

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. Because the door goes flush with the body, it doesn't sound like there is an alignment issue.

Sounds like a similar issue to this 430 doorlock problem (rusty cable).

With the door open, can you latch the latch with a screwdriver, then use the interior door handle to release the latch? Does the movement of the door handle feel the same as on the passenger side?

Unfortunately, there's not much you can lubricate from the outside. Usually these problems involve doorcard removal.

Ratarossa on YouTube has an old video on 456 doorlock problems, but the audio it terrible, I can barely hear what he's saying.