Drivers side mirror only? | FerrariChat

Drivers side mirror only?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by atheyg, Jul 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My 78 512 Boxer has a drivers side mirror only, I'd rather it have a passenger mirror also but I am concerned about having a body shop drilling a hole in the pass door to mount the other mirror, also this would not be the way the car came from the factory.

Anyone have this delima?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Mirrors were dealer installed, IIRC

My two 77s, one has both and one LH only.

The duals are rectangular with an accordian flex boot, while the LH single is a bullet oval that just adjusts in one plane.

Reoriginals, I think can get both styles. I find it much harder to drive in close trafiic without two.

I say go for it. For safety's sake! A drilled door is better than a caved in one!

3. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    I have the opposite issue now. I am thinking about leaving my driver's side mirror off before my repaint. I think the Pininfarina lines are much cleaner without the side mirror. I would not have a problem drilling mounting holes later though if I felt it were necessary.

4. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi Jeff

I have a 1969 365 GTC which had a drivers side door mirror added by the original owner in 1972(I have the invoice!) I managed to get a matching mirror complete with cavalino rampante and have fitted it on the passenger door. If you are going to drive your car rather than look at it, it needs to be safe on modern roads.

Good Luck

Colin

5. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I also only have a driver side mirror. You have to accelerate to make sure you are clear before getting back in line. The driver side mirror is a joke anyhow, but you get used to it.

Once I drove a Daytona without ANY outside mirrors. It took time before I had some confidence with only the inside mirror.