Drivers window has come off its rail | FerrariChat

Drivers window has come off its rail

Discussion in '308/328' started by Transient, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Transient

Transient Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    transient
    Hi guys,
    My windows usually work great but just this afternoon i noticed that the drivers side window has come off its rail and is in the lowered position. I can hear the motor working fine but the window is not moving up.
    Is this a simple fix?
    Do i just take the door panel off and simply pop it back on its rail?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys :)

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  3. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

only if you`re lucky :D

the door panel has to come off

with a little luck, only the fastener / washer on the far left side of your window came loose (the one that is fitted into the glass)
    if this is indeed the culprit, windows "falls through"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. seadels

seadels Rookie

Mar 10, 2016
    I had, as they say, a "glacier slow" drivers side window. The drivers side window was so slow that I had to physically lift the window while holding down the window button.
    I used Birdman308's tutorial to repair, clean and update the window system. It's an excellent tutorial.
    You have to remove the door panel which is not that difficult. Once removed you can access all of the necessary components.
    My procedure:
    Removed door panel
    Removed, cleaned and applied fresh silicon lubricant to the drive motor. You need to remove the speaker to access the drive motor.
    Replaced the stainless steel drive cable.
    Reinstalled the motor with the new cable. You can see where the cable "sits" in between the large washer and the smaller back washer/fitting.
    Applied fresh silicon lubricant to the pulley wheels and window channel.
    Installed a window accelerator. This device has three wires. Two wires splice into the motor drive wires, the third wire goes to ground.
    Tightened all window fasteners as mentioned by ME308.
    The difference in window speed now is amazing! :)
    While I was in the door panel I also lubricated the lock mechanism.
    Again, follow the tutorial and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Good Luck!

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You'll know the moment you get the panel off if the cable snapped.

Also, there are 2 washer/mounting points that connect to the glass - 1 front, 1 back. Either could need to be re-attached (provided the cable is intact.)

One thing on birdman's tutorial - it is very excellent (and what I relied on), but I'd advise you make your new cable 10 ft 11 1/4 in, instead of 10 ft 10 in. I found the suggested 10'10" to give far too little leeway when it came to getting the cable back on the pulleys, and with the tension pulley you can adjust for a slight bit of slack.

Also - you CAN clean the gears without cutting the cable. But wrapping the old cable back on the spool nice and clean and tight... there's the challenge. The cable will have a "memory" and work against you, making it incredibly difficult to get it back in the spool's grooves as it should be. I found it far(!) easier to just replace the cable.

BTW: people aren't exaggerating - redoing all the window stuff takes a long time. It's not fun. Hope you know a lot of curse words. The first window took me about 2 days. The second window took about 3 hours. So there's light at the end of the tunnel once you're in it. ;)