Driveways and Scraping | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Driveways and Scraping

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 360spider, Jan 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Is that a steel plate?

It looks nice - flows well with the colors and shape of the driveway and home and doesn't look out of place.

Did you have it installed? or self-install? Any code issues?

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    You should be able to add a synthetic mix cement (with high plastics content) right over whatever is at the base of the driveway currently. The high psi stuff is a little more expensive than the standard concrete ready mix, but you would probably only need about .5 cubic yards to get a 50% reduction in the approach angle. Have a concrete contractor do the work and you should not have any problems.
    Another cheaper alternative is to add an asphalt overlay to reduce the angle the driveway approach has to the street. You can build up the edge of the driveway between 2-3 inches and feather it out for a wisth of 2-3 feet. You can buy the bags of premixed asphalt patch at Home depot (around $15 for a 60 pound bag), and use a hand tamper or rent a plate compactor (for around $80 a day) to seat the overlay onto the base layer that is already there. Make sure you clean the existing street / driveway before putting the new asphalt down so that it sticks well. It is a permanent solution that should cost only about $200 to correct if you do it yourself. Your neighbors will also thank you.
    BT

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That is BS. Reducing the angle of the driveway will still allow for sheet flow of the rain runoff, but also prevent you from scraping the car.
    BT

4. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

I took the picture while it was still wet. It's the regular concrete color now.
    I had a guy come and install it. He put re barb and that steel mesh stuff in it.
    I don't have an HOA so I shouldn't have any issues.

5. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    usually that is a county issue. in my county, you need a permit and must put up a bond in case you screw it up. affects the drainage and gutters.

6. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

7. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    That was my philosophy too. My HOA would have never approved filling in the gutter with concrete. So, one day some concrete magically appeared in my gutter and my problem was solved. 18 months later a neighbor with a similar problem noticed my gutter and asked the board if he could fill his gutter in too for his DB9. I had been under the radar up to that moment. That's when I got the letter. Now I have to pay them to remove the concrete.

8. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Worst case scenario it has to be removed :)

9. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Who would leave the boards there all the time? I have a 2" x 12" x 12' board that I beveled the edges on and place at the low spot of the driveway before I back out each time. When I get home from my ride, I TAKE THE BOARD AWAY.

10. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Rather than do this crap, I just went down to home depo, bought some asphalt, and put enough down to make sure that the car didn't scrap. Didn't much care about the run off, but it worked, took about 2 hours, and fixed the problem. I suggest you do the same.

Art

11. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    install a praxis air suspension in your ride and problem solved. u will be able to go any driveway