Driving a Vintage Ferrari... | FerrariChat

Driving a Vintage Ferrari...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by rob lay, Aug 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, I had the honor and pleasure to drive a Lusso on the Laguna Seca track during one of the helmet off drives.

Driving it conservatively is an understatement. I felt comfortable with it, but no reason at all to push it or "find the limits". The only thing I wish I would have done differently is to rev it higher. I figured an older V12 would have a lower rev limit, so I was only going to about 4k. I found out later the red line was more like 7k. So if anything, I was hurting the car by bogging it down and shifting too early.

It handled very well and brakes weren't a problem. Power was sluggish, but that was probably more how I drove it. The sounds were great. Shifting was tricky without modern syncros I guess, but I expected the shifting to be tricky. Hell, even my 328 shifting can be tricky sometimes. Why doesn't the Lusso have the same steel grid shifting? I thought this was a trait of all Ferraris. The rubber boot without guides didn't instill confidence.

What a great experience. I think the owner who drove a modern Ferrari for the first time and a 355 Challenge at that had a pretty big smile himself.

2. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cool write up. I wish i went. Oh well, 10 more years :(

3. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    The range from 4000 to 7000 is where all the fun is. The sound is amazing and you can really feel the power coming on. The cars like to be revved. From 7000 to 9000 is where the funny noises come in and you may not want to be up there very much. Seriously the 250 is a very durable engine and it was made to run.

4. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I am so envious! What a thrill.

Ferrari started putting the metal gated shifters in the more sporting cars starting with the 275GTB. I don't recall if the 275GTS also received it as well. The 2+2's didn't get it. Eventually it wound up in all cars during the 70's, I believe.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    As a general rule, the Ferraris with transaxles have gated shifters. Of course, there are a few exceptions (generally cars without transaxles, but with gated shifters, see 250GTO), but after the mid 60s the rule holds pretty well.

I, too, am envious! I would love to drive a Lusso!