Driving Advice for Road Trip? | FerrariChat

Driving Advice for Road Trip?

Discussion in 'Holland/Belgium' started by 3POINT8, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi, I'm from the US and going to be in Netherlands/Belgium for two weeks, about a week in each. I was thinking of driving from around amsterdam to bruges or some place in Belgium in lieu of taking the trains. maybe along the coast. any ideas on great scenery or places to stay or towns to visit? I'm looking to get off the beaten path as it were

2. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    Hi when are you coming to Holland/Belgium?
    Lots of nice places to visit Between Amsterdam and Bruges.
    I am living in Bruges.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Louwman (car) Museum in the Hague

4. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Don't forget Antwerp, Gent and Brussels. One day for each city would be worth doing. If the weather is good and you like some history, visiting Bokrijk will bring you back in the old days and you can experience how it was living in Belgium years ago. While being around in Limburg, the city of Tongeren is nice as well and there is a nice market on Sunday morning's.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    When you are in Amsterdam go up and visit the Sky Lounge both during the day and in the evening.
    http://www.skyloungeamsterdam.com/en/

Just outside of Amsterdam 15min drive there is an old village, where you can see how life was 150 years ago. Some people still live there.
    https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

I can tell you tons of things to do in and around Amsterdam, but it depends where you are interested in. If you do not like queues then do not go to the Van Gogh museum, but if you like it it certainly is worth the waiting time.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Our trip is from April 1-13. I imagine the first half in Netherlands and the second half in Bruges

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks!

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great thanks!

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks so much! we'll have our three young sons with us. they are pretty active. we are hoping to bike around, go to parks, etc.

10. 328gts1987

328gts1987 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    A must see!

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    The Vondelpark is the main park in the center, aside all other smaller parks. just Outside we have the Amsterdams Bos (Forest).

Bike routes (use google translate to translate the site) this part is not in English. I guess we simply do not want share the most beautiful places and keep it for ourselves [joke]
    https://www.amsterdam.nl/parkeren-verkeer/fiets/fietsroutes/

Amsterdam forest:
    http://www.amsterdamsebos.nl/english/

Watch out the the tram tracks :)

12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks again!

13. EXCELSE

EXCELSE Karting

Nov 27, 2014
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Brughia
    A must see in Bruges with the kids is the Historium, an interactive museum telling the history of Bruges.
    A boat trip on the canals.
    The belfry with a nice panoramic view over the city and surroundings.
    Lots of classic museums and a great atmosphere with all the historical buildings.
    I live in a 16th century building along one of the canals.

On Sunday a visit to Knokke, a mundane coastal city. you will like the cars, your wife will like the shops and the kids can run and play on the beach.
    You can hire bikes in the centre of Bruges. and also in Knokke.
    Knokke can be reached by bus or train if you decide not to hire a car.

A great place to stay in Bruges is Hotel De Orangerie.
    When I visit Amsterdam I stay in the Conservatorium Hotel.

Visiting by car gives you more freedom but you can do a lot by public transport to.

Feel free to ask al you want to know.
    Hans.

3POINT8 and MvT like this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Only if you like museums ... in The Hague is also Madurodam, the well known mini town ~ :)

15. 328gts1987

328gts1987 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Louwman can't be called only "museum", its is one of the biggest (private) collections in the world and displayed in the best possible way. Money was no object...

The collection it self is wide throughout the automotive history and I have never seen something like it in all the trips I have made around the world.

Even at Pebble Beach people/collectors are revering to this collection and it's display. The building is designed/build to fit the collection perfectly and it shows.
    e.g. Peterson collection in L.A. (we visited last summer) invested $90milj rebuild & setting and can not compare to Louwman. Not even in cars and not in display.

It is really a must see if you are into cars.

Ps Mr E. Louwman is a very friendly and knowable man. He still collects. Last time I flue back with him after carweek and told me he was very happy to have bought a Packerd 1933 at auction.

Jeka likes this.