Driving convertible Ferrari in Italy poll | FerrariChat

Driving convertible Ferrari in Italy poll

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by italiafan, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Yes = Spider, No = hair is King!

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Okay..over a couple glasses of wine having friendly disagreement with Wife about something, need your input.
    Next year friends and we are thinking of a trip to Italy, shipping cars and two weeks driving.
    I said I would ship the 458 Spider instead of the F12.
    To which my Wife responded that she woul rather have the coupe because her hair would get messed up in the convertible.
    To which I said, are you nuts? Driving a convertible Ferrari through Italy it doesn't matter if your hair gets messed..pulling up to a cafe in a 458 Spider and getting out with messy hair is still cool and sexy!
    To which she said, only guys would say that...women would "understand."

So...help me out..please ask your wives, girlfriends, mistresses (and if you are female answer for yourself):

Is driving a convertible Ferrari like a 458 Spider through Italy so unbelievably awesome that messy hair is such a distant concern that require to drive a coupe is trivial in comparison?
    Yes or no?
    Yes = convertible Ferrari in Italy + messy hair is >>> coupe Ferrari in Italy.
    No = hair more important.

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #2 I'm 360 Canuck, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Remind wife that for special days when appearances are tantamount, that you’d be willing to leave the capote up.

Be thankful that you have a wife who takes such care of her appearance.
    My wife’s a tomboy, which occasionally advantages, but there are many time I wish she was more “girly”.
    I’ve never owned a convertible, but we own a runabout....I get it, your hair does get dirty quickly.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The number one complaint I get from the GF from riding in the car with the targa off is hair issues. Every ride, every time. You won't win that one.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I asked my wife. She said Spider, no doubt about it!
    T

5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just get her a nice ferrari cap to wear. If you have to drive to dinner, leave the top up

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #6 greyboxer, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    How about being sure you can get valid local driving insurance before you get into what may turn out to be an unnecessary argument with your wife over which car to take !

7. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    My female accomplice says that for herbaceous be the 458 Spider - especially give the situation you'll have it in. She is VERY aware of her dress code and appearance.

As someone mentioned, she can always wear a cap/hat. But when in Italy you must take the Spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    With such an easy hard top you could take the spider and just fight over there about putting the roof down or not.

Or just leave her here.

We go with brimmed hats that tie with scarves.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

HighCountry and paulchua like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I voted yes, but not to take this too far off topic, I was wondering the same thing.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Asked my wife who I know is not very fond of convertibles and has a Lusso on order.
    Vacation in Italy? Hell yes, only in a convertible! was her answer.

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    100% haha. :)
    My wife is laughing.
    Don't worry about the logistics, we can handle that...just a harmless fun question about Spider vs coupe.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I think your wife is aware of something that hasn't been raised. This is ITALY. A country where women are not expected to have a hair out of place even when emerging from the swimming pool at the Villa d'Este. Where every strand of fabric and facet of an accessory in examined, in minute detail, by observers in any highbrow location (and I'm guessing that with that fine choice of cars, you will be going to highbrow locations). Arriving with ruffled hair at the Villa San Michele or rolling up to La Scala looking slightly wind blown is social death. Even if you're alighting at the end of a cypress-lined drive at a villa in rural Tuscany, fellow guests (the females) will expect each other to look like they've just arrived at the Vanity Fair Oscars party. Having imperfect hair in that situation is like arriving at a black tie dinner with a stain on your tuxedo.

Unless you're not planning to meet any Italians or don't mind about the above, in which case, Spider all the way. You can always close the roof when you need to. But if you're going beyond the usual rural tourist options, remember, your wife is being judged, minutely, constantly.

I'd probably take the Spider and give her the veto over when to shut the roof.

thorn and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    why would anyone with an ounce of fun in their bones be a part of the scene you just described.

JohnTz and killer58 like this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yes for the spider Rob , but you know MY hair is king !

VIZSLA likes this.
  15. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Because that's the way they do things there. Worrying about trivial PC, #WomenActLikeMen type things doesn't bother them. Goditi la vita!!

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Kirk...for the sake of the community's education...you need to post a picture so people can truly understand the scene of you driving a Spider! :)

I've driven many miles behind you...and it looks like there is a bush in your car!

VIZSLA and Cigarzman like this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't have these problems because I shave my head and am not married, but I voted YES just to be on your side.

italiafan likes this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    What scene? Italy? That's what Italy's like. And, yes, I have had a LOT of fun at parties in Italy, as I am sure a lot of us have. Capri, Como, Florence, Milan, Siena.. It's a wonderful country, and looking perfect is part of the game, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on a board celebrating the maker of the GTO and the Daytona. Italy pretty much rules the world in terms of style and design, which is probably at the heart of the issue here; you need to look good, and it's fun when you do understand local styles and mores, which demand serious attention to your appearance (and if you've ever bought an item made by an Italian fashion brand, you have bought into this aspiration of outward perfection in lifestyle). Just as, if you're visiting Sand Hill Road on business, you're probably best advised not to dress in a three piece Saville Row suit.

Bottom line, though, if you don't mind how you look, you can tour Italy looking like you're going shopping for potatoes at a Walmart. But the OP's wife evidently has a sense of innate style.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    There’s a great deal of irony in the use of “trivial” there.

No need for the indirect swipe. There is a huge diffeeence between just having style in dress and having style both outwardly in fashion and in personality and comportment.

We hold our own just fine making an entrance, but the pompousness described being more important than a giggle and smile on a fun drive doesn’t sound worth it.

Going straight to dinner? Top and windows up of course. Stopping for lunch after a spirited drive? Anyone scowling at messed hair would be doing it out of jealousy for the smiles.

We’ve never actually run into people as described in our travels. Perhaps we were simply enjoying ourselves too much to notice the sneers.

killer58 and Way2fast like this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

My sense of "style" is pulling up in a Ferrari at local beach burger place, jump out wearing polo shirt, golf shorts, boat shoes, Patek watch.
    Though I have been known to wear this...
    :)

Way2fast and G. Pepper like this.
  22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Related to convertibles... a friend got a convertible last year, but his wife wasn't keen about riding in it with the top down because her hair got messed up. The friend responded, "But dear, you have that 'just ****ed' look - everyone likes that!" His wife was not amused... :D

23. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    No irony. It was in reply to your opinion in your post. There's nothing amiss in doing what Italians do in Italy.

24. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Definitely go for the Spyder! Italians tend to drive aggressively which can be a good environment for sports car driving.

But interestingly, in my years driving over there, I've only encountered Ferraris around their Maranello musuem since there are car rental shops just outside the museum.

25. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig