Driving in the rain | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Driving in the rain

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mechanical Dad, Oct 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It's hard in Manchester, UK to avoid it. It's simple and I have 3 rules.
    1) If like you I plan a trip then rain or shine I go.
    2) If no planned trip but good weather from home then go and inevitably get caught in the rain :D
    3) If no planned trip and it's raining from home then it stays in the garage and I take something else.

I've done that for all three Ferraris (two previous owned) and a 1997 Alfa Spider. Driving them in the rain is not a problem, just go a little easier on the go pedal.
    The first morning after I bought my Mondial (1st Ferrari) I fishtailed up the dual carriageway in the rain taking it to show my parents. I thought that was my Ferrari time over right there on just day 2 but I just pulled out of it and here we are today on Ferrari 3!

My only advice is not to mix salt and wet.

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Check the wiper blades and tire wear bars.
    I drive tires till I see cords ;)
    Just compensate on stopping distances.

Mario Andretti used to say drive in rain in a straight line like a monster. Brake long in a straight direction then tippy toe around corners. Then floor it.
    Who am I to argue with Mario ? ;)

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We have 300+ days of sunshine here. Driving in the rain is very rare. When in rain:

Put the top up and/or drive real fast.

And use WET mode.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I regret selling most of the cars I've sold, but the 612 that I asked Andretti to autograph on the airbox, that one was special. Should have kept her. She'd actually be worth more now.

Mario was driving an Aventador that day, by the way. :D Orange. Said is was the most honest street car he'd ever owned.