driving LHD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

driving LHD

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kongman, Dec 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    difference is that in UK it is legal to drive a LHD, not legal in AUS.

now with Veyron, how many they've sold? and how much would cost them to build RHD of the veyron?

2. ASIO

ASIO Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2006
    The best solution is the kit car made by McLaren [confirmed cheaters] the F1, centre mounted steering!

New MF1 has even better, switches from left to right with ease [Unimog style]

Ciao

M

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    But that isnt a reason not to make RHD car for the UK/Japanese/Oz market. If they can put the effort to make every other model in their range RHD I think they can do the same for the uber supercars.

4. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Actually this is a good point. As politicians always sit on the fence, how come the Maclaren can't be registered?????

Its niether left or right hand drive. Its on the fence in the middle. I reckon this could stand up in court.

5. ASIO

ASIO Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2006
    1 x Mac i know of is road registered here in Vic., owned by a scrap metal merchant [oh the irony...]

Ciao

M

6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    My point with the Veyron is that they are losing money on each one they are building, to showcase the new "bugatti" for future cheaper models, they could bring out a RHD if they really wanted to, it wouldnt cost them zillions more, they aint relocating the engine from front to rear its more a mirror car. They would probalbly sell another 10 or 20 cars if they came out with RHD versions.

If Pagani and Koningingeineeggeeggegeegegggggg can put the effort to re-engineer thier 10cars output a year to RHD, Ferrari and Porsche has no excuse.

7. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Wrong, UK's neighbours are all LHD, therefore would be stupid to make LHD cars illegal in UK.

2nd, all exotic cars in Japan are LHD because it is a status simbol to have an LHD car, therefore you won't find any RHD Lambo, Ferrari in Japan.

Only Place you can sell RHD cars to is HongKong, but since its part of Mainland China now, it is legal to register LHD cars,

so why bother making RHD?!

8. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I think it can be registered. Atleast in Vic and NSW I have seen it with plates. If you look in another thread... the Condorman thread about track work you will see the Mclaren with Vic plates.

9. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    How do you figure that? Australia is the ONLY RHD country that wont allow LHD cars and they're not going to sell 10 or 20 Veyrons here. 1 or 2 maybe.

The cost in re engineering a carbon chassis and interior for 1 or two RHD cars would add a significant amount (to an already significant amount).

10. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yes I did see that, sorry, I remember someone questioning why a VIC plate was in NZ from memory.

11. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    difference once again Pagani and Keonigsegg are customer builders, everything hand build. Therefore, developing a RHD would be completely different to 'production based' veyron, Enzo whatever.

You're comparing Pty.Ltd to .Corp, just like Maccas would never make you a different burger just because you don't like the Pickles and cheese, but you can get it from a private shop.

12. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    No you're wrong. I didn't say LHD cars in the UK are illegal :rolleyes: I said there is a market for RHD cars worldwide.
    Ohh yeah I forgot the "LAMEHANDDRIVE" culture in Japan.

I said, they can make cars for those markets like they do EVERY OTHER MODEL!

Why do they bother making F430/599/612 in RHD then? To make money? there is a market ? ahhh :rolleyes:

13. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    selling between few thousand cars vs 10 or 20.

if I run a company, I wouldn't spend extra money to build 10 or 20 RHDs out of 400 or whatever cars that I know I'll sell every single of that 400 if not more just in making LHDs.

14. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    So like i said at the beginning. The companies are to blame not the government.

15. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    That is what you said Speedcore.

16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Well like I also said, the wheels are in motion for a RHD F60 :D

17. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    well, not right, Companies are there to make a car as well as maximise their profit. Government may able to work out some sort of senctions for certain cars with very limited number (e.g. bid for a plate LHD legal for charity etc)

18. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh so wrong.

19. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    first (perhaps only) ever userable ultra supercar with timeless styling and look.

the best car ever built IMO.

20. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    what??? are you completely forgetting the 308 GT4?

21. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Ostraya
    Full Name:
    Red Power Ranga
    Dont forget the Mondial aswell!

22. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    we keep trying to forget it :p

23. 98Octane

98Octane Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Luke
    No need for a flashing light, just make the interior a rubbish dump like RB's Boxer!

24. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Interesting thing spotted on the drive home from Melb - black Vic registered LHD Pontiac R8 (or some name like that), which I assumed was a badge-engineered HSV; question is, how did they get THAT registered?

25. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    Most likely a Holden owned test vehicle, they get away with stuff like that.

They owned a C5 Corvette that was fully registered as well.