Driving Shoes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Driving Shoes

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scott61, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Depends on your outfit.. and age i guess. To each their own when it comes to fashion.

2. phil30

phil30 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Somewhere I belong
    Full Name:
    Phil Tan
    #27 phil30, Apr 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The Fila's run a bit short... just a bit. Pretty good on width.
    So, if you need 11 1/4 due to length, order 11.5 definitely.
    If you're 10.5 long, but get 11 or 11.5 due to width, then the 11 may be fine.

4. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    For street driving, I picked up a new pair of Cole Haan driving shoes on eBay for about 1/2 of what they sell for in dept. stores.

I love um!

5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Went for a second drive today and found an old pair of dress shoes that were narrow tipped and what huge difference it made in driving the car. Should have the Fila's next week so hopefully will be even better. Have driven many small sports cars and never ran into this problem. Is this just an Italian thing? do the alum race pedals add to this problem?? And speaking of those pedals have a bit of a funny story. My wife was checking out my car and told me I should cut up some pieces of rubber and cement them over the Alum pedals

6. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    For Drving shoes - Todds
    (but don't let your wife go anywhere near the place)

For Racing - Diadora

Wazza

7. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi folks:

Please chime in if anyone knows of a place in So Cal that carries Diadora driving shoes. Failing that, a good US mail order source will also be great.

Thanks!

AN

8. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    These are the Diadora Racing boots and shoes I would recommend
    Not the Diadora driving shoes.

Nomex lined
    FIA approved

Wazza

9. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #34 EspritSE, Apr 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Not knowing the wide variety of casual looking driving shoes available I went with what I knew. Red, lowtop Simpson sprint car shoes. Lightweight and fireproof too.(You never know)
    I usually get positive comments on their looks but lousy for any extended walking.

11. GTRPower

GTRPower Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Diadora Nomex driving shoes and karting shoes are available from Northstar Motorsports in Barrington, IL. You can find them at www.northstarmotorsports.com or by calling their tollfree number.

FYI I've used my Diadora nomex shoes for over 4 years. They are great. I've just started racing karts and I bought the Diadora karting shoes- and they fit just as well as the other pair. I recommend them highly...

Keep in mind both Diadoras are NOT walking shoes and they are painful to walk in for any truly extended period of time.

Cheers!

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
  13. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    These JUST arrived here and am wearing them. Am very picky about fit and they suggested going 1/2 size larger so i did. They fit GREAT and feel very good. Also keeps the front on my foot quite narrow while the rear carbon fiber part appears to nicely "grab" without being too tight. WOW, and all this for $73 including shipping. Sweeeeet! :)

14. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I like my grey and black Piloti shoes. Not as conspicuous as others. But not a good idea if you stand or walk around all day, as I found out last year at the Historic Races here in the Seattle area. My toes seized up when I got home.

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Willis,

Agreed, for walking it is probably best to bring other shoes as these are for driving, not walking. The right shoe for the right job i suppose.

16. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    TODS for Ferrari!

17. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have a pair of the Piloti Rallye (pic posted earlier) and I am able to walk all day in them with no problems, and this is with some pretty messed up knees. They are great for track days when you have to schlep yourself back and forth between the car, paddock, clubhouse, etc.

The wrestling shoe suggestion is a good one for driving only. I did my first few DEs in my old high school wrestling shoes and liked them even better than the Pilotis in the car. Try and walk around in them, however, and you'll wish for everything below the waist to be amputed to put yourself out of your misery. Well, maybe not everything. :) They have no support and no cushion, they are basically a flat piece of rubber coated cardboard. The Pilotis are a great shoe to wear at the track and not have to keep swapping shoes all day long.

18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I just received the Fila Shumacher blue driving shoes, Fit great as I also went a 1/2 size bigger than my normal sneaker. What a huge difference it makes with my very close pedals. I want to get a back up pair and was wondering what's the difference in the Nomex ones? Also great service from SpeedGear, Ordered on Fri. and received today with standard shipping.

19. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The only difference is the Nomex shoes are fireproof. And, they're different colors/designs.

20. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The problem I had was related to the rough terrain surounding Pacific Raceways and the thin soled Pilotis. Hiking boots are more appropriate for viewing the race action from different areas. :)

21. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Scott,

Not sure there is much differences other than color, carbon fiber heel supports, and Nomex. Like you, i may get a second pair of the Nomex as they fit great and for $72 inc shipping it is a steal IMHO.

WARNING: Just noticed they changed the prices on the web back to $195 (or
    Member Price $175.50) BUT THE $70 SALE IS STILL ON UNTIL APRIL 20th. If i were you i'd call them ASAP if you want them.

22. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I just called and ordered another pair and they held the sale price.

23. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Even better, if you're a Speedgear member, the latest catalog (Senna on the cover) has them for $69-10%... but if you order 2 pair, you get another $10 off each! I just ordered two pair for $52 each!!

Speedgear has some great sale prices sometimes!!

Oh, and you can get the ones pictured with the flames... or the red with grey checker flag pattern. Same price... same nomex... same construction... just a different look.

24. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Brian, what kind of info did you have to get them to get that deal? Is there a code or something?