Drove a 2012 Formula 1 Car! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Drove a 2012 Formula 1 Car!

Discussion in 'F1' started by MarchettinoYT, Nov 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes that was the one. Would love to drive f1 one day. Good to know there are options

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I think the clutches are about 3" in diameter, and very easy to fry if you slip them much or stall and need to restart more than a couple of times. The first F1 car I drove was easy, as I had a push start- that obviated the problem! The second one I simply started in 2nd gear- a fair amount of throttle and then dump the clutch, and she went off cleanly from a standing start.

3. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    That was indeed a problem. I drove an F1 car for the first time at Road America, and missed the pit entrance at the end as I hadn't gotten enough heat in the brakes and overshot it! Didn't have that issue the second time at LV Motor Speedway- maybe the significantly higher ambient temp helped? More likely though, it was the lower speeds at that tight and dusty little road course (adjacent to the oval).

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I drove that AGS F1 almost twenty years ago, at that time it was the only "real" F1 they had (others were modified cars, typically with non original paddle shifters).
    Apart from the incredible acceleration and braking (which might be less impressive today, given the advances in road cars), I indeed remember that it required some dedication to avoid stalling at the start...

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup, same here. Was almost 20 years ago for me too. :)