Drove a 348 for the first time...now I'm really hooked! | FerrariChat

Drove a 348 for the first time...now I'm really hooked!

Discussion in '348/355' started by 2Velocebro, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    If you saw my last post you'll know I fell for the 348 and have been looking for one. I did not mention that I actually had never driven one...that is until yesterday!

When I started looking I went to John at Forza Motorsport here in Monterey to talk to him about pros and cons, potential problems, recommended upgrades, and if it can actually be driven daily. He was super cool and answered all my questions thoroughly. He then asked "have you ever rode in a 348?" Jokingly, I told him "I had not, but it was okay, since I'm a millenial I watched a ton of youtube videos on it, so I pretty much know what they're like."

He said, you should experience one first, picked up the phone and called one of his customers, Andy, with a 348 and asked if he would show it to me. He agreed, and we met up yesterday. Not only did Andy let me ride in it, he let me drive it, showed my the ins and outs of the car, told me everything he's encountered owning it, etc.

I'm hooked now! Below is Andy's beautiful ride. His is a 1990 red on tan 348 ts with about 50k miles on it...just like the one I am looking at. Maybe it's a sign!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, PaulK and wax like this.
  2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    testament to the camaraderie that can exist in the ferrari (and most car) community. Total stranger takes the time to not only show you his car, but let you drive it and share the passion. Kudos

wax likes this.
  3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Awesome story. I hope you find one soon!

4. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    The 348's are my very favorite of all Ferrari's. I have a Mondial now, but I miss my 348 Spider. Best looking engine too! Good luck finding one you will love it!!

paulchua and Berning like this.
  5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I think we may soon have a new member of The 348 Brotherhood?

jjmalez, Ga68_, Enzojr and 1 other person like this.
  6. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Let me tell you....I owned a 328 for 10 years an although it was a great car and arguably the least expensive to maintain and the most recognizable....the Magnum PI comments got old real quick. I now have a 348 and for me is such a more enjoyable car. Easier steering, brakes, shifting......and awesome AC!!!!!. And don' t forget the sound! My wife is always complaining its too cold.....the 328 was like grandma's warm breath and that' when it was fully charged on a good day! Pull the trigger you won't regret it and they are still affordable now.....3x8s are way way overpriced right now.

vdettore likes this.
  7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    348 is the most underrated Ferrari. I always go for my 348 first. A true drivers car

jjmalez, ernie, Berning and 1 other person like this.
  8. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    I think so! Waiting for the PPI. Should have an answer for you guys by the end of the week. I hope it all goes well and look forward to joining the club!

Berning likes this.
  9. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    That's exactly what I want, something fun, but useable (compared to some other models). I plan to alternate between it and my Alfa for a daily driver. I don't haul much stuff or people so I think the 348 fits the bill perfectly. Plus, being young (26), I wanted to get a cool, gated shift Ferrari before they all become unobtainable. I have been following prices for 3X8's and 355's since high school and don't want to miss out on one, because I've seen the prices go crazy! I have my fingers crossed for this 348!

Berning and PaulK like this.
  10. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm a millennial as well and have been in love with the 355 since high school. I have not regretted it and I hope you get yours soon!

11. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    nice 348.. looks so much better with the 355 wheels.. I appreciate keeping things original.. but the oem wheels just date the car too much
    something other then the oem wheels would be a must for me.. with simply 355 wheels modernizes it so much.

I would say the 348 as with the 355.. can be easily "semi" daily driven.. the first season owning the 355.. I drove it almost everywhere.. more then comfortable..
    I think the 348 is definitely a little more bulletproof compared to 355..

good luck with the purchase..

12. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Thanks bro! I am having the PPI done next week, so if that goes well I'm doing it!

13. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Thanks man! Getting the ppi next week, so if that goes well I'll be a Ferrari owner! Yeah, definitely either going to get 355 wheels if I can find a set for a decent price, or get the stock wheels coated a dark grey like in the pic. Also, planning on getting the targa top wrapped body color, so it'll look good, but can easily be taken back to the stock look. Also, probably going to get an exhaust. Other than those things, I plan on keeping it original. Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. contact roberto at roselli foreign car in san jose. I believe he has a black and tan one at a stealer price

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Of course you can daily a 355, they made it a soft GT car. :) The 348 is for people who are hard as nails.

Berning and cnpapa24 like this.
  16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yeah the 355's are sissy la la cars for sure compared the the 348 :

17. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    How did the 348 compare to the 4C? Both have manual steering but very different ways to build power. I haven't driven one but always keep it in the back of my mind. I am very curious to hear a comparison from a 4C owner.

As for the 348, I have nothing but praise. I drove a few models before getting mine, most notably a 328 and 355. Nothing compares to the driving experience of a 348. It's like dancing with a beautiful woman. She can most certainty hold her own in the ballroom, but expects you to lead and demands your best. In return, you are rewarded for every gracefully executed input. A 348 is exactly how I expected a Ferrari to feel.

Good luck with your search! I hope the PPI goes well and you can add a 348 to your stable soon.

Nader likes this.
  18. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
  19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Had my 348 coming up for a year.

I just love driving it, it is most definitely alive and really rewards when you put the effort it. It’s so satisfying when you stick a number of gear changes together that all come together.

I’m sure you’ll love the experience; good luck with the ppl.

Nader likes this.
  20. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Thank you! I hope everything goes well too, I can't wait to own a Ferrari!

The 4C is a very different beast despite having so many similarities with the 348. Neither have power steering but the 348 was much easier to steer at low speeds. The 4C has a small diameter steering wheel, so the driver must crank a lot harder to turn at slow speeds. The bigger steering wheel on the 348 makes a big difference. Also, the 348 has better visibility and a smoother ride, so would be a much easier car to daily.

Noise on both is awesome, but in different ways. The 348 has a beautiful, high pitched Ferrari symphany while the Alfa is mean, loud, and snarly. It's like a little tasmanian devil.

The biggest difference in driving experience though is the lack of a manual in the 4C. The dual clutch is great, and very fast. Honestly, with the crazy amount of boost from the turbo and how quickly the engine revs, it's probably better suited to the car than a manual. Still though...I miss a clutch pedal. The gated manual in the 348 is awesome; something so satisfying about shifting your own gears, even more so with a gated shifter.

The 4C is definitely a riot though. I plan on keeping mine for the long haul because no car company will ever make a car this ridiculous again in its price range. If your in Monterey, CA message me and we can take it out for a ride.

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I may take you up on that someday as I will have a 4C at some point. I thought about one when I was on the 348 hunt, but figured I’ll have time as they are still depreciating a bit. I’d get a hardtop as I think they sort of messed up the Spider. I was disappointed when I sat in one. Quite the opposite of how I feel about the 348 because it was targa all the way for me.

22. 2Velocebro

2Velocebro Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon Davis
    Yeah, coupe is definitely the way to go the 4C. The spider just doesn't flow as well. Plus with the coupe you can get a carbon fiber roof, which I thought looked really cool. I was lucky enough to pick one up with the carbon roof. Below are some pics of mine. I'm the same way about the 348 though, I'm looking for one in a targa. The 348 targa doesn't change up the lines of the coupe, so it works much better. Yeah, they are starting to drop in price at this point. I imagine it'll be a lot like the Elise or Exige depreciation where they'll hit a plateau and hang out at that price for a while. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    There's nothing like a nice car guy . . . That's what makes the world go 'round. Have fun with the 348 when you get it.

24. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    How did the PPI go?