Drove Monza - bucket list done! | FerrariChat

Drove Monza - bucket list done!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by spirot, Sep 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I was in Italy last week, and checked off a bucket list item... drove Monza in a Ferrari 488... with Puresports... it was GREAT!

only did a few laps, but enough. Could have drove all day long. It has to be the smoothest track I've ever been on, and remarkably seemed so short!

top speed on the pit straight was 283KPH... so I think 175MPH! the fastest I've driven my self!

the 488 is a great car, amazing performance. BUT.... the steering was so light, and did not give you any feedback..even over the rumble strips and curbing... it was a bit weird. brakes were good no bite until you are literally standing on them... my instructor was telling me I'm not braking hard enough, until I literally was jumping onto them with all my might ( not helped by my helmet being tight against the roof!)

it was a great experience, love, love Monza - and especially now that I've driven the GP track!

BTW - its literally exactly the same in Asseto Corsa Simulation ... so my time on my simulator paid off big time. I was making the same errors in person that I did on the sim!

I'll post some pics when I can.

Forza Monza! ..... the sad fact is while the banking is cleaned off- its covered up with Grafitti - like most of Italy... such a shame.

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I visited Monza when I was in Italy for my honeymoon back in May. Went to the ELMS race there. Not great as a spectator as there is tall fencing around the entire circuit.

Glad you had fun. I bet it was a blast.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Wow congrats! My favorite track. I've been to the GP and walked it. I'd love to drive it. Especially in the 488.

4. Bruce

Bruce Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2004
    Wow!, What an experience. I looked at the Prosport website and watched one of the videos there, now I want to go. . . ..
    Question--is some basic fluency in Italian needed or do the instructors speak English?
    Looking forward to any pictures you can post.
    Bruce

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Sounds great.When i did some laps,around 25 yrs ago, just after buying my car,i loved the feeling of driving on this historic track,under the trees,Lesmo's,Parabolica etc etc.Even just standing in the pit lane was an amazing feeling.Then the factory tour plus lunch over the road.

Only managed c 155 mph but felt pretty rock solid even for a 15 year old car at that time.

Would love to experience it again in a modern Ferrari..hmmm you got me thinking now!

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes - Pure sport have English speaking instructors... I could do Italian but for 100% safety wanted English. I will say that you need to understand the following to be sure:

Destra ( right ) Sinestra ( Left ) Freni ( brake ) Cambio alti & basso (shift up and down)

It is a bit expensive, but rental of Monza for the day is not cheap... but well worth it. My day was sunny and bright about 10 am... perfect conditions.