Drove the Portofino for the first time today.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Drove the Portofino for the first time today....

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by John Salvador, Dec 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Oh oh oh. So you have something against bulbous butts??

SV

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, as long as the front bumpers match.

Automoblog likes this.
  3. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
  4. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    I too swore id never buy a califronia, after only mid engine Ferraris - Now an owner as well!

like big butts and I cannot lie!

anunakki likes this.
  5. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I have to say that when I started planning to purchase a recreation vehicle when a California was suggested I was more against it the for it. Then when I was assured my wife would not only be comfortable in it but like it I rented one for a vacation not only did all that come true I grew to really enjoy it. The wife wouldn’t even get into any other car I looked at except the Auston Martin we looked at. Since then I’ve test driven and rented many cars but I still really like the California most specifically the T. However I have yet to check out a few other cars I have added to the list since. I’m sure if I drove the portofino I’d like it at least as well as the California and bet it’s presents better in person then it does in photos just as the California did to me.

While I have and occasionally do enjoy a run in a mid engine car I can see how I would likely drive it less the a car similar to a California.

Thanks for the input on you input on the comparison of the F12 and the Portofino George330. It is something I will keep in mind.

7. NGom

NGom Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    UK and France
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Gomersall
    I've had my Portofino for over three months and 2,500 miles and it's exactly what I imagined it would be i.e. a great touring car. It replaced my lovely McLaren 650S Spider as my wife and small dog wanted a more relaxing drive, more space, more discreet (!!) and still be fun, folding hart top etc....
    I see the 488 as a direct competitor to the McLaren. I seriously considered a second hand F12 but it's not a Spider and no rear seats.
    I'm very happy with the electric steering so far.

Caeruleus11 and azlin75 like this.
  8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I passed up on driving a PF because it won't improve my driving experience over the 2 cars I already own, fully paid-for. I realized that even without driving it because the PF was never designed to cater to all my needs. It amazes me that people would continue to whine about the Cali and PF as if Ferrari failed to design them properly. In addition, why would people look at the Cali and PF, straight from the factory, as competitors to the 458/488 or F12/812 - how sensible is that?

What sort of genius Ferrari marketing and product design strategy would have the PF compete in the same markets as the 488, Lusso and 812? Answer: Ferrari product marketing is not suicidal.

IMO these back-and-forth arguments are silly. The PF excels in its class and should not be assessed as a substitute or competitor to a 458/488, Lusso or F12/812. If you like the Cali or PF but still miss something then you probably need an extra car. Accept that. Comparisons with some 911 model is more legitimate as it is a different brand but no one here seems to appreciate Porsche currently offers no less than 23 different 991 variants (Porsche Canada) and probably ships 911 models at least 10x in volume (2017 figures) to the Cali/PF while Ferrari does it all with its Cali/PF using just 1 model. So the 911 also defies direct comparison, steering feel and boring Pcar ownership notwithstanding.

In my case, I didn't bother whining or complaining about design compromises and simply fixed them. I upgraded and modified my Cali30 to suit my driving preferences. I don't factor in resale value because IMO these cars should be used and enjoyed, not resold. I added a 675LT Spider because it performs at a completely different level and was designed not to require a trailer to take to the track. It also performs just as well as the coupe while adding the enjoyment of top-down driving. The Cali/PF are the same in this latter regard as their platforms were also originally designed for convertibles.

Finally, vacuous complaints about the rear haunches on the Cali. FYI, all performance car manufacturers crave to feature massive rear haunches on their fast cars. If you want to whine about rear haunches, look at the 488 and 812 rear quarters - they all feature (even more) prominent butts. These cars are not boulevard cruisers. The automotive journos (bad photographers) who started the uninformed remark simply wanted to inflate their petty credentials by trying to come across as petrol heads. These cars would all look tepid and lame without substantial rear haunches. These are not 1960s rag-top boulevard cruisers. Tip: the Ferrari V12s are mainly about their V12s - that's why Ferrari is not that worried about lack of a convertible. They may at some point make a small V12 hybrid convertible if the market and tech direction permit.

Finally, I think I have my own perfect combination of fun cars. For my budget they span the broadest range of capabilities, features and exotic appeal on just 2 platforms.

Makuono and Texas2step like this.
  9. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I wouldn't have ordered a Portofino if it weren't a convertible. But,I would prefer a simple soft top (the one on my C5 is perfection).

Jakuzzi and TheMayor like this.
  10. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Yes, the California must only be a convertible; but I personally prefer it as a hardtop.

11. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Isn't there a Portofino coupe in the works, I thought that was the word from earlier this year...

12. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    +1 On this post - Spot on, and exactly as I would write......
    But then I have a McLaren and Ferrari California combo as well. so great minds think alike!

4th_gear likes this.
  13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep, it's a great combo. It was definitely the most sensible one for me. ;)

14. MelbourneCarl

MelbourneCarl Rookie

Dec 23, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Took the words out of my mouth. I’d heard the same on here & elsewhere but all seems to have gone a bit quiet. Hopefully more details soon!

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry

That was the primary reason i bought my California

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Drove the Portofino and was quite impressed. Very fast responsive touring car, exactly what is meant to be. Could see it as a great daily driver. Apples to oranges when comparing in to any mid engine Ferrari. Different strokes for different folks.

17. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    The reality is, like it or not, the Cali/CaliT is overwhelmingly the most successful model Ferrari has ever produced. I’ve owned two Cali’s (2010 and 2012) and my Portofino arrives in January. Both were my daily drivers, as will be the Portofino. I’m predicting Ferrari will have the same results with the Portofino sales and it will overwhelming be their most successful model going forward.

I remember how much I disliked the Cali when it came out. After finally driving one, my entire attitude changed from my mid engine Ferrari fixed mindset. And, I bought one the next week.

IMHO, comparing these cars to a Porsche, they are not in the same league. Yes, Porsche makes some wonderful cars, but my Porsche experience has always been that within a few months, the cars just became cars and no longer felt special. With the Cali, every drive put a big smile on my face and the experience never waned.

Comparing the Portofino to a 488 is not logical either. They are completely different cars. A GT car vs. mid engine track beast. It’s like comparing a Jeep to a truck.

Recently, I have been daily driving a Lamborghini Huracan. It is a cool car, but I’m definitely looking forward to trading up to another Ferrari.

18. Jim hailey

Jim hailey Rookie

Dec 13, 2018
    I guess I need to drive a 488. I haven’t because try as I might it is only mediocre in looks and screams boy racer to me a bit too much.

19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    While the 488 is a very nice car and worlds ahead of the f430 I found that it was almost like the car really felt like it wanted to go faster at legal speeds. What I mean is while it was not hard to keep it at legal speeds it felt like it wanted to lunge forward and go and with every tip of the toe it certainly did go. I don’t regret renting it on my last vacation but having driven one in all kinds of driving situations it just wasn’t for me.

Honestly I really wanted to rent the 458 spider ( a car I think I actually would like though similar to the 488) but the rental company I use had their 458 and California in the shop and I didn’t have a choice, well other then an 812 and well it wasn’t convertible so my daughter said no even though inas saying yes.........

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Personally I liked my F430 spider more than the 458 spider. The 458 is more like today's computer cars. Perfect but lacking something. The engine though is a marvel. Best part of the car. At 9 grand its nothing short of fantastic -- but you are already breaking the law before you shift to 2nd on most streets.

To me the F430 felt more mechanical. I like hearing the gears slam in the back and feel it at the same time. The 458 seemed like someone programmed it that way. And I never really felt it was a true convertible. It feels like a targa where the F430 spider really felt like you were in the open air.

This is my problem with modern cars. It's all computers now so driving feels less organic and mechanical. The F430 may have had a computer controlled gearbox but it was still gears being slammed around. DCT's seem digital.

This is why the electric power steering scares me. The Corvette C7 has the worst steering feel I've had in a power steering car. Completely phony. So phony you could even "adjust" it yourself. Adjust the steering feel? Really? So its some computer algorithm and not the bits and pieces connecting me to the wheels?

I hope Ferrari knows how to do this better.

Golden Steed likes this.
  21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ll not disagree about the electric power steering, some things still need to be mechanical and the steering is one of those things. In also anti throttle by wire as well and don’t like the complete integration of computer systems into units that in theory can be hacked and manipulated from outside the vehicle. But I also understand that there is very little a person can do and a certain level of things one must accept to also have the conveniences of modern comfort, however electric steering in a performance car seems like a step sideways.

As far as the rest, well everyone has an opinion and that’s ok. Honestly if we all share our opinions it could help inform a future owner.

I like the f430 but there is plenty I don’t like as well and the dislikes for me outweigh the likes with the main thing for me being interior room. And I personally like the look of both the 458 and 488 spiders but I also like targa tops and the added bonus of the being hard tops doesn’t hurt in my opinion.

22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The steering connection is mechanical (typical rack and pinion set up). The electric motor just multiplies the power that the driver exerts with his hands; this is no fly by wire system, as in modern aircraft. Basically, instead of a hydraulic pump, you have an electric motor providing the assistance to the steering effort. These systems have been accused of being less feel-some than the classic hydraulic power steering, but they are getting there. They also provide the capability of active feedback (for example urging you to counter-steer, when the computer detects a slide).

23. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    It's true that there's a difference, which can vary significantly by manufacturer and even by model, I suspect. I've had the gamut--best steering I've ever had was on my Lotus Elise--manual steering, incredibly accurate and perfect feel. The last several years I've had a Porsche Panamera 4S and an Aston Martin Vantage. The Aston had conventional power steering, and had great feel, although not as good as the Lotus, of course. The Porsche had electric steering, but I thought it was excellent in terms of feel, with the caveat that I didn't drive it as aggressively as the others. I just bought a Mercedes AMG CLS 53, it also has electric steering. I've only driven it in "comfort" mode so far (stupid break-in period instructions!), and it doesn't feel as communicative as the Porsche's was, but I will reserve judgment until I can drive it in Sport mode. I've spent a total of perhaps 3-4 hours driving three different Portofinos, and IMO its steering feel is as good as the Porsche, but a tad less than the Aston. Certainly good enough to make me very happy once mine finally arrives.

Just my .02.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Now that you have mentioned the Elise, I never liked its steering. Way too slow, recalcitrant and heavy, for my liking. I prefer a quick steering, that requires minimal movement and which doesn't fight you back.

25. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Not on the track...which of course is really its purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk