Dubai, Would You Vacation There? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dubai, Would You Vacation There?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bubbajoe, Sep 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dont forget Tehran, Syria, Beirut, Palestine, and parts of Saudi, Egypt

and since my gf and I are not married they'd certainly have an issue w that

2. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    For Tehran, as long you don't have a US passport it's chill. I was to go with my ex at that time, and i was concerned by the fact if i need to provide any written statement that she is actually with me then under my responsibility or sth. I went to the embassy to get my visa, they told that there is no such thing, she needs to fill her visa application separately and she does not need even to put that she' going there with sb.

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I've been a couple of times for business, but I have NO interest in it as a vacation destination.

CW

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well, if you're gonna be an infidel, at least have some fun with it :)

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Never.........the entire ME is no go for me.

6. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    To tell you the truth I don't really know where all the money comes from. I guess oil brings in quite a profit but other than that the government really doesn't say much. The citizens are treated extremely well, eastern asian workers (mostly) get treated like crap. There's a huge gap in the social classes and workers do get treated like crap. I guess they try to hide that but it's not hard to see, especially when workers that are out in the sun all day 6 days a week get paid a few hundred dollars a month. There's no real contesting of their rights and whatnot but it still hurts to see such injustice happen in the 21st century.

I guess that's the price you pay to afford all these mega projects and all the luxuries that citizens and westerners have available to them. A dollar gets you way more in terms of labour there. Obviously if you stay in the tourist spots you don't really see all of this. If you want me to expand on that I'll be glad to.

Now back to the tourism aspect of the country. Personally I think Dubai is nice for a couple of days, then the novelty factor kind of wears off. There's a lot of heritage in nearby cities (and the nice thing is that it's such a small country that everything is about a 2 to 3 hour drive. Visiting the old boats used to find pearls in the gulf is quite an experience and it's pretty crazy to think that the people driving BMWs, Porsches and Ferraries were some of the poorest people around 40 years ago. They were actually the workers of the rich indians and were treated like crap. Quite a role reversal huh?

There's also a beautiful man made island off the coast of Abu Dhabi (it's actually connected to the city not too sure what the name is for such a structure) designed to stop waves from hitting the coast and this area is now filled with great restaurants. One I would recommend is actually an old wooden boat that's now converted to a great restaurant. Around the same area there's an island about 30 minutes off the coast that was used by the late Sheik Zayed as an animal reserve, it's a beautiful place.

If anyone is into the muslim architecture, I believe they finished building the Zayed mosque and it's HUGE. Definitely a place to see regardless of your faith because it's just a beautiful place.

I'll gladly suggest more places if someone is considering going there.

7. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Shanghai was a BLAST I'm hoping to do Tokyo and Hong Kong sometime in the coming year or two, maybe Beijing.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    So you can walk into the lobby w a 12 year old girl or a sheep and nobody has an issue w it ? LOL

9. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    It's more a 22-28 yr old russian/ukrainian

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm not that interested in going to Dubai. Maybe in a few decades when all the construction is done just to see how the "city of the future" looks. Right now, there's a lot of pollution from construction and the cars (everyone appears to have their own car, no mass transit). My friend in the Marines told me how they were given fliers right off the ship for prostitutes, but all he wanted was to buy a t-shirt for his girlfriend back home. I'm not interested in the high temperatures there either...

I've been to Iran a couple of times and would like to go again. I'm more of an outdoor person as well as visiting historical sites. They have mountain ranges in the north where you can go snow skiing in the winter (or grass skiing in the summer). Then you have all the old Persian ruins and mosques. That's the kind of stuff I rather see than new buildings and indoor snow ski slopes.

11. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #36 Dino Martini, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
    As much as I would love to fly the Emirates A380 and have a 5 minute shower at 37,000 feet. Singapore already has theirs, and Qantas is getting their A380 very soon. So Im not going to Dubai. Intersting place though.

Though, I might go to Iran and fly the 707...

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Safe in Bahrain, perhaps, but going to a country to drop money in where the colour of your skin and stupidity is laughed at means it's a no go for me as well.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker

14. sirsomo

sirsomo Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta/Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I'd go, but its not very high on my list. Ive been to Israel, Egypt, and Malaysia on vacation, but I just don't get the whole Dubai appeal. The architecture and magnitude of new construction would be cool for a day or two, but the novelty would quickly wear off for me. It just seems like a manufactured city; a huge theme park thats pretty on the surface but lacks a lot of substance. I can appreciate the effort that goes into a creating a man-made island that is shaped like a palm tree or the world, but I can't imagine the experience being any better than a multitude of other beaches around the world when you are actually at the beach.

15. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    so you dont go to any city in the us either, because certainly each one has some of the above... infact i would bet you are more likely to be kidnapped, shot, or meet a "murderous fanatic" in chicago then in Dubai, granted, probably more people dislike america in dubai then in chicago

16. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
  17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd agree with you on the first part (likely why I'm moving to NC myself) and disagree on the latter. Maybe per-capita.. but if you took a tally - I'd bet you find more folks who hate Americans in Chicago than you would in Dubai.

That said? I'm not setting foot in Dubai anytime soon.

18. jais

jais Karting

May 27, 2005
    ATL
    Not interested in going to the ME anytime soon. I spend a lot of time in Russia (I have an apartment in Moscow) and East Europe. Just recently visited Toyko. Too many other places I'd rather explore first.