Ducati 1098R - what do I do with it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ducati 1098R - what do I do with it?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sherpa23, May 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Wow, thats cookin.
    Never understood the whole weaving through traffic thing at high speed, endangering others.. If you want to go fast find an open road or go to the track.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Cool bike, enjoy.
    Nice thing about bikes theyre fun and engaging at most speeds.

3. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Bring it out to Golden for a run up Golden Gate Canyon...one of the best kept secrets for motorcycles in the Denver area. Plenty of tight turns that require skill but not ultra high speed to get a good thrill from. Best to avoid weekends but if you must, early Sunday mornings are best before traffic and bicyclists abound. It is also before the Oxotic supercars hit the road and sadly, they ruin a perfectly fun run but there is satisfaction in passing a whole string of Lambo's/PCars/McClarens as they mosey on down the road.

A favorite loop is GGC to 119, N to 72, back to 93 then S to Golden. A longer run involves taking 119 N to Nederland, 72 N to 7 and then drop down into Lyons. Turn around and head back.

Congrats and enjoy...shiny side up!

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Brock,
    Maybe I'll meet you out there in Au'n! FYI,on a related note, I'm going to take the F430 on a road trip to Ag-ton this summer. Should be fun.

5. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock

Ryan, let's do some canyon carving....when you get the urge/have time let me know and we can head up. I did some tweaking on the MV Agusta's suspension and put some sticky Dunlop Q3's on it so it is quite entertaining in the twisties....though even it doesn't quite measure up to the BMW S1000XR in that regard...

Yep, you will be heading to the most beautiful part of CO with the F430 and will have options for fun roads to get there. I am assuming you would be taking a southern route.

6. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #31 Nader, May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's a really nice bike. Obviously. I used to have a 748S that I would take to the track. It got me into racing small displacement vintage because the top speeds on the Ducati scared me a bit.

After about 10 years, I stopped riding the Ducati. Just seemed like such a production to get suited up in leathers and folded up on that virtual torture rack. As you know, those bikes were only comfortable at speed in corners. Even with Helibars. Anyway, I sold it, and I'm now obsessed with motard. I have a couple now, one for the street, and one I race. I love the sport-ute aspect of a relaxed riding position, commanding view, plush suspension, and torquey motor. At 250 lbs and 50+ hp, it's a blast.

As for that Ducati, I'd drain it of fluids, fog the engine, and park it in my living room, like I once did with one of my vintage bikes I restored.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    #32 BOKelley, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Precisely why I bought the BMW XR vs the RR.....I tell people the XR is a race bike for old guys like me......although I won't shortcut ATGATT and always suit up for even the shortest of rides. I have been down and know what a life (skin) saver the gear can be.

Regardless, I think the Duc needs to be straddled and ridden from time to time!

8. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Congrats!

The bike looks great. I like the gold wheels.

LSJ

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #34 sherpa23, May 15, 2017
    Picked it up from Boulder Motorsports this morning and gave it a good 60 miles or so on some back roads on the way home. Really, really awesome. I love it.

10. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Great Pair !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDS

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I guess the original question is moot. Already put a bunch of miles and realized how much I miss it so added another ducati: a 63 mile 1199 Superleggera from awesome Fchat sponsor Southlake Motorcars.

12. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    #37 BOKelley, Jul 9, 2017
  13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #38 sherpa23, Jul 9, 2017
    It was already offered to me since I own a Superleggera. That said, it shouldn't be hard to get as it's not limited. I don't know if it's something for me. I love my 1098R and Superleggera a ton and I only have room for one more bike. It will probably be something that I can use all the time like a Scrambler Cafe Racer To go along with the hard core stuff I have now. I've been getting out into the canyons on both bikes so they're really being utilized properly but having something I can just putt around one would make a great third bike.

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I feel like this collection is really missing a Desmosedici RR. :)

Mark

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #40 sherpa23, Jul 9, 2017
    Hahaha. That's what my mechanic said but I don't think that I would get much chance to use it. I need to add something that I can just take to coffee when I feel.

FYI, got the 1199 Superleggera when I got home from the Montreal F1 race a month ago with 62 miles on it and just dropped it for the 600 mile break in service. It's getting properly used, that's for sure.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you should buy my 916 sp. great bike and prettier than anything save for my 888 sp5.

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    So here’s an update. I’ve be b enjoying the bikes so much I addded a 1998 916 SPS (#774) and a 2006 999R Xerox (#69). So glad to see what with 1098R started...

Nader likes this.
  18. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Pictures, please.

I used to hate the 749/999 when they came out, but now think that maybe they were ahead of their time, and I wasn't ready for it. I've grown to dislike any "retro" styling whether it's cars, bikes, whatever. Those Terblanche bikes now evoke a powerful locomotive imagery for me with that front fairing and stacked headlights. I also like how they expose more of the engine. Wish they would have kept the single sided swingarm and dual exhaust cans, though.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I bought it from a real enthusiast in Idaho named Brian who took these amazing pictures. All credit goes to him.

I agree with you: I didn't like the 999 for a long time but it's really grown on me - especially the Xerox. the 998 was so gorgeous and the 999 was so out of place next to it. But it's really aged well and it's a phenomenal machine that is finally starting to get its due.

Oops. Looks like I can only put up one. I still can't figure out the new Fchat very well. I tried to put up the others but it said "security issue" or something.

View attachment 2461193

Texas Forever, Boomhauer and Nader like this.
  20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Here is a pic of the 916 SPS taken by a buddy (fellow fchatter too).

Attached Files:

21. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Cool bikes. I had a 998 Matrix. Beautiful. Killing to ride (for me). Can you compare and contrast the riding experiences? Which is most fun, why? Which is most comfortable (if any!)?

22. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    I love the 999 now... especially in race trim (minus headlights). I think it was a little bit ahead of it's time looks wise when it came out. It has really grown on me.

Beautiful bikes, enjoy them as much as you can!

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks, guys.

@pma1010 , the bikes are different but the same in a lot of ways. They're all homologation bikes so they're all made as WSBK race bikes with the necessary DOT stuff (lights, signals, etc.) to get them registered and sold. There's nothing in them that makes them reasonable. They're not reasonable. In fact, they're just the opposite which is probably why I love them so much

The 916SPS is really an analog experience and feels it in every way. It's hard to think any of the 916 bikes as classic but that's exactly how it feels. reminds me a lot of my F40. The 999R is really more like the 360 in that it was a big step into getting the bike more comfortable and with better performance, although I didn't like it at the time. It's only recently that I have come to like and appreciate the design. The 1098R is really insane. It's the last trellis frame race bikes. The power is ridiculous in every way and I'm still taken aback by it. It's the last customer race bike to win a WSBK title and they made the R with so many race parts (they had to detune it for racing) but it was the one year where they reduced homologation to 1000 units only so they went all out. The Superleggera is the homologation bike (Panigale R) but taken to extreme levels with the weight. They weigh 342 lbs and mine puts out 194RWHP on the dyno. It's crazy and I'm astonished every time I get on it and take it out.

24. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Sherpa23, thanks for the description. Good analogies to the Ferrari world makes it easy to understand the differences.

Brian Sharp at BMS helped me with another Ducati a few years ago (I had an S4RS). Great guy. (Great bike).

Philip

sherpa23 likes this.
  25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Brian and his crew really are the best. I just saw him today when I dropped off some stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app