Ducati SS/SP recommendations | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ducati SS/SP recommendations

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by ndpendant, Jun 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    First gen ST started in 1998 with the ST2. Basically the same water-cooled, 2 valve engine as the old departed 907 i.e. (also called the 907 Paso by some). These bikes are relatively low-powered with 80 hp or so, and reliable if you take care of them. I know of several with 50k+ miles on the original engine. Neglect maintenance at your peril. $3k for a rider to $5k for a very nice original with low miles. All should have hard bags standard.

ST4 came a year later and had the same desmoquattro engine as the 916 with about 100 hp. Basically the same issues with any desmoquattro, this period was when the notorious flaking rockers were their worst. But an ST4 probably wasn't ridden as hard as say, a 748, so maybe the problem is less prevelant on the ST4. Add $1000 to ST2 values today for the same condition.

ST4s used the 996cc desmoquattro engine and had even more power, along with upgraded suspension IIRC. A little more to buy one over an ST4 today.

Second gen consisted of the ST3 (3-valve head version of the ST2), and the ST4s. Both had a bigger fairing compared to the original and ABS was optional. ST3 is much more common than the pricier bike. $5k-7k are current values for an ST3. Black looks particularly good on these bikes.

ST2 represents good value, while the ST4s (first-gen) is probably the sportiest of the bunch. If I wanted to do longer rides, an ST3 would probably be what I would look for. And if vintage is what you want, find a 907i.e. I wouldn't bother with the earlier 750 Paso and 906 Paso.

2. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have been reading about the ST bikes having problems with the rear crankcases fracturing due to metal fatigue and improperly torqued bolts. Some look catastrophic as the whole casing just falls apart at the bolts. I may go ride an ST3 or ST4s and see how much more comfortable it is. Im 6'2 and have a size 17 foot and have found that I would need to fabricate custom shift and brake levers for me to get to them in the way I should be able to. The longer ST bikes may fit a little better. I have seen some 4/4s upwards of 120Hp with minimal modification which would be more than enough for me to ride. Have also heard many were not satisfied with the swingarms on the ST3 bikes due to weight and balance issues, but not having ridden them I cant say.
    Thank you again for all the insight.
    Nd

3. dhalter

dhalter Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    I have owned a number of Ducatis including Superlight, 900SS, and 748.
    I put at least 4k per year on my 1992 900ss since 2004 and will NEVER get rid of it.
    No bike I have ridden does all of the things this bike does, this well...
    Get one and do the following:
    - 41mm or 39mm flatslide carbs with accelerator pumps (OUTSTANDING)
    - Shorai Li-ion battery (saves weight up high, cranks much faster)
    - Coils from CA Cycle works (improves starting and running)
    - Open pipes from Ferracci or somewhere (I run a rare 2-into-1 Staintune that I LOVE).
    - High compression pistons from Ferracci.
    - Change rear sprocket to 41T
    - Change all brake lines to braided
    - Barnett clutch

All told you can get a good example for $2K-$4K, and the above will cost you another $2k.
    The good thing is you can feed in the mods over time, and you will have a bike you will lover forever. As soon as my new subscription takes hold I will post a picture of her!

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    What is funny is one of the prime updates for an 851 is to find a set of ST4 cases and build the engine from those as they are much stronger than the original parts.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Pricey but real Superlights are rare. It would be difficult to find a nice one and do the engine upgrades for the same money.
    1993 Ducati 900SL

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have the 2006 ST3sABS, the final year, the headlights/fairing got a nice restyle before the model was cancelled.

I never drive it, so it's been no trouble!
    I took the bags off.

Well, the fuel lines and pump melted, from ethanol fuel, it's OK now.
    Black....:D :D :D

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's nice....

8. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I Just got back from a 10 day run in the Alps. I bought an 06 800M S2R to join a tour of 8 guys for 7 days. Our base was in Jausier just outside of Barconolette. With no speed limits and a track like setting for endless miles on endless routes and passes I could really put the bike through its paces. We put on 2000kms in the 7 days of riding.

I grew up a dirt biker and crotch rocket jockey with my last road bike being the 05 CBR 1000RR (pretty serious machine). Tracked 600RRs for years.

I must say that this is the best street bike I've ever owned. The bike resides in Germany and I can't wait to get on it again.

quack quack

9. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    #34 2000YELLOW360, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had a chance to see a 2006 classic sport 1000, man its totally changed my thinking on the SS bikes. have also seen the new fabricated all aluminum café racer tails and tanks that have been made for the classic due to the tank expansion problems. My budget just got larger but I think the bikes are awesome looking when done right.
    For the right prices maybe a dual purchase is in order. Cant let a classic bike sit alone without a speedy brother right?
    Nd

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow - sweet. I like the JMC swingarm too...

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Sportclassics seem to sell for stupid money. I don't see why personally, but apparently someone today wants them and is willing to pay more than their MSRP just a few years ago.

Aside from the PS replica and the monoposto full-naked Sport 1000 (only 2006 IIRC), these bikes were not that popular when new, probably why they were discontinued after only a few model years. I remember new leftover GT models sitting on dealer floors into 2010.

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    About same as a Guzzi Daytona, although not sure which is more desirable...I'd take the Goose.

14. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #39 ndpendant, Jul 9, 2013
  15. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hey, pre-knee puck era! Not even duct tape. Pretty cool Art.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Saw this one today. Biposto though.
    2007 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 Biposto Reno's Powersports KC Kansas City, MO (866) 936-8900

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That looks amazing! I also like the Ghezzi & Brian Guzzis...

18. dhalter

dhalter Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    #43 dhalter, Jul 10, 2013
  19. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    My personal favorite, the one-year wonder black 900SS. The 907i.e. is also especially attractive in that color.

20. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I took someone's advice and took a drive to MCC motorcycle center in Villa Park yesterday. I have to give them credit the guys there were really nice. I got to meet Geoff, one of the owners. I spent about 90 minutes with Jonmark Who completely turned my thinking of Ducati's inside out. He was very knowledgeable, asked me a lot of questions. I think I sat on everything in the entire Ducati line new and used! Bikes that I really thought I liked I turned out not to like nearly as much once I was on them for a bit. One of the bikes that is truly peaked my interest more than anything is the Diavel. I looked at everything from 916s to 900 SS bikes, monsters to moto guzzi, MV Agustas, triumphs, and I have to say the Diavel may fit the bill in terms of a comfortable bike that has tremendous power a little bit of sport some comfort. One of the owners explained to me that with some fairly inexpensive changes and a special type of sport tune at that bike can reach nearly 190 hp much more than anything I would ever need. I still think I'm going to be on the lookout for a sport classic but in terms of a modern bike I think I may end up writing a Diavel by next summer. I have no ties to them but I would definitely recommend seeing Jon or Geoff at MCC near Chicago for those of you who are local.

21. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Sold my 1999 900SS just about 2yrs ago. It was yellow with full fairing. I LOVED THIS MACHINE. The handling was great, sounded awesome... VERY reliable. This was also the 1st year of fuel injection for them and I also understand the frame was a bit nicer. The 900SS also was a 6speed whereas the others (750...etc) were not. All maint was very easy to do. I think it took me longer to remove the fairing to do the timing belts vs the belts themselves. (which was almost brainless easy).

Very smart of them (and this is simple) for the venting to the cylinders from the intakes on the Left/Right side of the upper fairing area.

Granted compared to something from today, it was low oh HP but, the torque was more than enough to keep you in a gear w/o waiting for the rev's on some of the others out there.

22. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #47 starboy444, Aug 20, 2013
    Yes, they are quite the handful. This is my fathers garage, he is a Ducati nut. I like my Honda's though, less pain in the back and wrists..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    i love my 05 sport1000 biposto. its looks great, is plenty fast and handles well. i found it on craigslist for $7k with only 1800 miles on it and bought and picked it up hours later. i have already been offered twice what i paid, but its not for sale.

24. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Lucky you...

25. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ