DUCATI thread... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

DUCATI thread...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by LAfun2, Mar 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The KTM is a potential wildcard. Looks great on paper, but I'll reserve judgement until they arrive. It may end up being a credible alternative to the Ducati. The Aprilia's are too underpowered comparatively to interest me.
    Doesn't everyone know Jimmy on Speedzilla??!!
    I am currently selling my 999 race bike and road bikes, in anticipation of the '05 R arriving early next year. A friend is trying to tempt me with the MV1000, but if I can get a reliable 160+rwhp out of the '05 999R, (my 999S race bike has over 150rwhp on a dynojet), I can't see myself on anything else. The bike will be used as intended, as a race/track bike, that probably won't see the road, much less a cafe.
    I was talking to a guy today, who called me looking for carbon fiber rims for his '04 R that had been referred to me by the local Ducati dealer. (I run BST's on my bikes). He has spent 80K AUD on his bike, but didn't want to take his bike to the track because of how much he had tied up in it. Why the hell would you want CF rims if you are not going to track it, particularly if you are stretching yourself to afford them in the first place???BTW a 999R costs 60K AUD over here.
    I feel a little disappointed everytime I hear this, as it perpetuates the Ducati w@nker legend. Another fine bike destined to spend it's golden years parked on a foot path while it's owner sips on a 'latte confident in the knowledge that he has the most expensive bike there.

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

I agree re: the KTM. Then again, they plopped the KTM motor into the Proton and it went quicker right off the bat - at least they go!
    From everyone that tracks the R, they love it- enjoy it in good health.
    It's not quite as bad here, but you still get the guys that buy a 996s and ride it exactly 1500 miles / year and brag about never having ridden it in the rain, or having gotten it wet.
    Lemme know how you like the R. For the money, stateside at least, the 05 kawa ZX6RR looks like an intersting prospect, but I'm still after the 749R - less is more and all that.
    Regards.

3. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    A friend of mine who I do a fair bit of track work ith, traded his 999S for a 749R. The 749R is being traded now for a '05 999S. He bought the 749R because in club racing you have twice as many classes you can race in, however the bike just doen't have enough power, given it weighs as much as the 999. Great bike, but you are better off with the bigger motor. The other problem is the race kit, which you need to get decent power, is drug money.
    Glad you posted about the KTM. My local Ducati shop is a Ducati and KTM dealer. I'd forgotten about the bike, but now you've reminded me I'll have a talk to them about it this week.

Stephen

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Buy that man a glass of Vodka !!

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

hubert, i think those damn new ducs are growing on me as well! the 749r i had seen down at gp was pretty sexy!

i think you would have a fantstic multiuse bike in the "r". whether you are at willow or mission beach...you will be on the right ride!

best, pcb

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Peter ! Where have you been man ? Drop me a line sometime soon - lets take on Willow Springs! I should have my new leathers in a couple weeks time.
    Regards,
    Hubert

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think our friend Peter moved to NC :(

8. ferraripete

hi ryan and hubert! ryan....is correct , i'm back east now. properly employed again but will be back in sd w/ frequency. we all do need to do a ride or two!!! hubert, i'll call when i get back.

9. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Glad the employment situation worked out. If you are in town in SD, let me know, I will ride/drive down for a lunch or something with you folks.

I have plenty of time after Dec 22. :)

Have fun out there. Keep in touch, you have my email.

10. ferraripete

hey ryan...yes all is well. i will certainly stay in touch and we will have to get together when i'm back. my girlfriend is still in sd so i'm certain i'll be around.

you and hubert are my motorcycle buds!!

cheers my friend!!

peter

11. jharkercfduc

jharkercfduc Karting

Sep 4, 2004
    riverside california
    Full Name:
    jonathan harker
    if you guys get together for a ride, I would be interested, if my bike hasn't sold by then.