Dumb is as Dumb does (exaust valve / head gasket replacement) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dumb is as Dumb does (exaust valve / head gasket replacement)

Discussion in '308/328' started by bl10, Jul 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Your ownership experience sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Don't be too worried about the engine out. In the long run it will save you time. On a carb car it is super easy and plan on one day out and one day in. While out you will have such incredible access that you'll get those two days back quite quickly. The biggest thing is to be disciplined and not to get carried away with creating a concours car. Regardless with the engine out you can clean in ways that are otherwise impossible and take care of a lot of hoses and bits that are otherwise near impossible to do.

ferrariowner likes this.
  2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    If you still have the plastic cam pulleys I would check to make sure they aren’t cracked at the fences or de- laminated from the steel hub. I just ran out of adjustable square tooth pulleys but still have a few sets of modern HTD/GT2 pulleys that let you push belt changes to 9 years or 60k km.

ferrariowner likes this.
  3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I understand your concern and you're right, pulling the engine is absolutely going to lead to mission creep and all of the "while I'm in here" scenarios that you can dream of. My issue was a leaking head gasket and it was #4 cylinder so I could have gone the route you are considering but ultimately decided against it and it took me 18 months to finally get it all done but I enjoyed doing it,learned a lot and have no regrets with my decision.

Still, everyone's situation is different and it's your decision to make. You could start by trying to pull the 1-4 head off in-situ and see how it goes. There will be no harm if you decide to change course and pull the whole lump out after all.

4. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    So sometimes, not very often, I get lucky. This morning I removed the cams, water manifold and misc hoses. Then the head stud nuts, boy were they tight. I was concerned one of them might break, however, all was fine. Tried nudging it with a dead blow hammer, didn't budge. Used a couple of wood hammer handles under the corners and it popped off with no problem.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    lm2504me likes this.
  6. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    All four exhaust valves bent. You can see feeler gunge under and tick marks. Pistons and liners look great, no other apparent damage. So I'll be ordering parts this weekend.

JL350 likes this.
  7. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Guess I won't be saving heat shield. Bottom part is actually melted.

Saabguy likes this.
  8. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Oops clicked on wrong button. Probably due to miles and miles at full throttle on obscure highways in Utah and Montana.
    Melted heat shield Image Unavailable, Please Login .

Saabguy likes this.
  9. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Here's what all the fuss is about. Looks better than it is but after all 40 + years and 70K miles.
    Derek how do I get in touch with you about some exhaust valves and seals.

Barry

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Considering the ... circumstances, you did get lucky with the head. Buy some lottery tickets yet?

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeehaw! Like I said my heads came off with no problem too and I went through the same anxiety convinced that it was going to be hell.

But it wasn’t.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The melted shields are the result of rich running or whatever caused your valve problems...

Kind of s shoulder shrug thing really, I have melted them and blown them to bits.

Its asbestos leaking out so watch that detail..

13. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    It wasn't running rich. The valve problem, 4 bent exhaust valves, was caused yours truly and it never ran with the bent valves. i think the melted shield is a combination of it coming loose at the collector end and laying on the header plus long stretches of running at full song.

I will be cutting the hear shield off, I will be careful of the asbestos, and if they look ok walnut shell blasting and coating the header with header paint. Actually VHT makes a "ceramic" header coating for DYI but the curing cycle is pretty ugly. If I notice a significant temp problem, like it sun burns your face or melts my wife Sonia's cosmetics, when I open the deck lid I'll probably use header wrap.

Anyway it is a relief that the head came off so easily.

Barry

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The insulation is really to keep the heat IN the header, not so much to protect the under hood environment.
    It combined with the air injectors to "continue oxidizing" unburned HC in the exhaust paipe.

Euro cars never used it.
    You won't be transporting chocolates in the trunk either way....

15. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Glad to hear you got lucky! I might too when I tell my wife I might be selling more parts from the boxes cluttering up my office :) My email is derekrwhite at yahoo-com

I love that colour— surprised I do but I think my taste is changing (hope it’s not Covid19)

16. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    ... tell me your valve shim sizes. I can send them a few thou longer or shorter to allow for future wear. The seats wear faster than the tips, tappets, shims, and cams.

17. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Thanks so much Derek
    I've got "honey do" thinks this morning. I'll check in via e-mail after a bit.

Barry

18. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Decided to clean up the engine compartment this morning. As far as I know all is original.
    Taped plastic sheet over exposed cylinders, plugged various openings with paper towels and tape.
    Used Walmart engine degreaser, purple power in both spray bottle and power washer with purple power and lots of elbow grease with brushes, scotch bite and of course the old standby rags.

Getting started.

19. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
  20. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    While removing the remains of the water manifold gasket I discovered that the two studs that are wet have O rings on top of the gasket with a relief in the manifold. I assume they are to prevent coolant migrating up the studs? Number 26. While removing the water manifold the connecting large water hoses literately crumbled in my hands even though they never leaked. Based on that I plan to replace all the water hoses even the miserable long heater hose. I've read a couple of detailed threads on the heater hose and it seems to be a real pita. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Barry

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    One suggestion: remove the gas tank.
    The other suggestion you did not do was ... remove the engine.

22. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    See what he said.

23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #48 308 milano, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    I have changed that long heater hose that runs through the driver side rocker on my 82 GTS. I removed the driver side fuel tank as Mitchell suggested above, attached the new hose to the existing hose , Applied Dawn dishwashing soap with a paper towel and it slid completely through with ease. Pulled it from the back forward. I certainly wouldn’t want to try it with the tank in place. 2cts

24. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    Thanks Guys.