Dumbing down 308 electrics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dumbing down 308 electrics

Discussion in '308/328' started by JoeZaff, Feb 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    no I can't but I'm sure someone will chime in soon to help you,good luck and don'tjust stay in philly to look,ferrari's are a car that travels across the states from person to collector,so you might find a car that was calif but now in texas and might be going to fla,but if you buy from the south check to see if rust is present from water damage(floods) that might give you a electrical problem and no birdman fuse box will save that car (it might help)

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am willing to drive/fly almost anywhere. However, I would most likely try to track down a local expert first to go over the car so I don't waste my money on airfare on a lemon. I am going to start contacting the people suggested in the other thread and see if they can be of assistance. I had asked Algar Ferrari to help me. However, a gorgeous 308 came in and they forgot to call me. It ended up sitting on their lot for a month before they sold it to someone else. That really irked me. I also have contacted the Stable in Gladstone NJ. They always seem to get gorgeous well maintained cars. However, they haven't gotten any 308's in awhile. There is a guy near where I live who always has 308's but they are almost always crap with stories he is trying to hide. I am looking forward to a nice long, and hopefully rewarding hunt. Any help will be very much appreciated. Everyone has been way to helpful so far.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Joe,

I am considering parting with one of my early '77 308GTBs, my most recent purchase is actually the oldest one, but was owned and cared for long term (since 1980) by the dealer in Chicago.......

I drove it home from Chicago to Houston no troubles, it HAS been color changed, to red/black.......anyway I turned down $35K cash last month for it, I may just go back to that guy.....

Everything works, nice stereo, etc.....I have noticed an oil leak that I'd have Vintage Motorcars repair before selling it.

The early NON CAT carbed cars have been getting hard to find lately, makes me feel guilty stashing three of them...

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are not 'lemons', they just have 'issues" ......LOL!

All these cars respond in kind to the care they receive!

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Big Tex,
    I would be interested in your 308. However, I am looking for an S model. I bet your car is one awesome ride. The sound of 4 webers just can't be beat!

6. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Joe:

I did lots of electric work on my 1984 308QV. I bought the car with LOTS of aftermarket crap like sub-woofers, radar systems, amplifiers, etc., that was strung throughout the car. I was able to remove and/or replace the wiring/fuses/relays to original condition. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I may have pictures and/or experience and/or wiring diagrams (in Italian!).

Jay
    [email protected]

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The fuseblocks and relays are 98% of the 308 electrical probs- change those and drive worry free.

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Jay,
    thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. However, I have been really encouraged by what I am hearing regarding the Birdman mod. I might start with that and see what happens. On to other strange news. I spoke to a young guy at my dealer yesterday, while getting my car serviced. Anyway, he told me he just sold a beautiful 328 for 40K. I told him if he ever got another one in that condition AT THAT PRICE to call me immediately. 12 hours later he calls me! He is really excited because he pulled some strings and got me a 328 from a local collector. I am excited too, until he tells me that this one is probably going to be around 50-55K. I had to laugh. I think his heart was in the right place, but he overshot my budget by say 10-15K. I feel bad for this kid because now he is stuck trying to sell this 328. So anyway, if anyone is looking for a 328GTB-call Brandywine Porsche ;) I haven't seen the car, but someone needs to get this kid off the hook!