Dyno results on the 328 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dyno results on the 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fabspeed Motorsport, Jan 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "and settled on a 6-degree advance "

Just curious, how did they do that on the standard Ferrari setup, did they reprogram the computer itself to provide that 6 degrees at a specific load/RPM or did they just essentially add 6 degrees of advance overall by changing the static setting? Wonder how the computer reacts if you do that? (I have no idea, I'm just thinking out loud…or should I say typing out loud? :)

2. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I can guarantee I won't see 30whp from 6 degrees of advance on this car....it just doesn't have enough smoke to make 30 more hp with stock internals. I can play with it though and see what happens.

TedM, if you are following my thread in the 348 forum regarding headers/exhaust/ECU developments, I will have dyno results to share from the ECU/ignition tuning we are doing on that car.

3. TedM

TedM Karting

Oct 30, 2010
    Arlington, MA
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I didn't get deep into the details with Alex, but as I understand it's purely a manual/mechanical process. Just reinstall the belts with the cam sprockets a little forward = 6 degrees advance = euro spec.

Thanks, Chris, I just took a peek. Looking forward to the results.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Oh, OK, I was thinking it was referring to ignition timing. I didn't know that the cam timing is different for Euro motors. But now I'm even more puzzled by the 10 HP difference between the US/Euros. A different exhaust, different ignition timing, AND different cam timing and only a 10HP difference in power…makes no sense to me at all.

Either that or Ferrari did an incredibly effective job at limiting the US noise/emission requirement to only a 10HP loss.

I have to admit this thread is very interesting to me…

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #30 thecarreaper, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh, I understand now. I took some pics of the bypass pipe that came with my former black 87 328 from CA. I have a cat bypass pipe and new 02 sensor on the silver 86 328 I have now. This straight pipe is a bit loud, but I have been around law enforcement a few times and not had any issues. I run the Tubi muffler most of the time on the car, but I hate the way it sounds.

Another point to mention: There is a huge difference in throttle response and torque with the straight pipe installed over the Tubi. I can really feel the difference, and adding a K&N air filter seemed to help. My car runs nice and cool with no ping and no rise in water temps to indicate a lean condition. Just FYI.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TedM

TedM Karting

Oct 30, 2010
    Arlington, MA
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Would be curious to hear if ceramic coating offers any help. I had some big gains on my WRX, but that's with a top-mount intercooler, so anything that kept heat out of the engine bay was a huge help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

7. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Neat! FWIW, I'm very happy with the Fabspeed cat I installed in my 328 two years ago.

8. Gregory_N_Roberts

Jan 23, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory Roberts
    very cool stuff you're doing there - nice to see some real R&D going on

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I second the test pipe comments above. I noticed a big difference too.

10. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Will be visiting Peter Marcovicci Engineering here on Long Island to check a friend's E-type engine on a dyno, but thought some of you might like hear this Ferrari 328 engine crescendo when it was there...

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have a TUBI along with a test pipe, & K & N I love the way the car sounds, and after perusing through this thread, I do believe I have gained some HP. Im going to find a local dyno shop and put it through its paces.A long while back I had a roll on side by side with a 3 series BMW inline 6 with 330 HP at the crank, and I was able to pull him . I also use 101 octane fuel at the pump.

Thank you

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "A long while back I had a roll on side by side with a 3 series BMW inline 6 with 330 HP at the crank, and I was able to pull him .

Was he sleeping at the time or just not aware that he was supposed to be "racing?" :rolleyes:

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well Mike, it took you about six months to answer that post, so I'm pretty sure that "he" would have out-dragged you at a red light...

Best

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
  15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

My car is quick, he was on it, and I beat his ass, its that simple. The factory must have been right on when my car was made, its tune is really on the money, and it runs really well. I would put it up against any other 328 with no problem, 3.2 liter of course. The 328 has fabulous aerodynamics , especially for being a 198O s era car.

Big G

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well, I've revised my opinion! I've done a bunch of research and found that averaging out a bunch of 0-60MPH tests on both cars show them to be within a couple tenths of a second either way. 1/4 mile times are very erratic for the 328, I suspect because the testers varied from people who were too shy to launch the car properly - 15.2 seconds - and others who just drove the dang thing - 14.2 seconds - same as the 333 HP M3. There was one 1/4 mile test of a 328 showing 13.8 seconds which is about the best that is theoretically possible based on power/weight. If that is an accurate test on a level drag strip, the tester was a very accomplished drag racer - cutting an absolutely perfect light. I wish I could have found 1/4 mile trap speeds for the two cars. Trap speed is far more accurate regarding the car capability than an ET, which is more indicative of driver technique/ability.

I had assumed that the M3 in question would be capable of noticeably better acceleration than a 328 but that is obviously not the case - the cars are so close that if one is running slightly better than the other or launched better, that car would win. So I no longer doubt if the M3 was "trying." Gino must have a "built on Wednesday" 328 motor!! :)

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There was only one Microplex built for the entire world and has all the various advance curves for all markets and versions built in. They are chosen by connections at the box. Digiplex used on earlier cars is done by programming like Bosch does it. My 328 in addition to displacement has nearly 11:1 and is running the most aggressive advance with no detonation. I suspect had it better breathing with better cylinder filling that may be a different situation. Unlike a Hemi, a pent roof uses more moderate advance.

18. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Why?

19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

It was a roll on dual on the freeway, not from a stop.( from 3rd gear ) The 328 has a dog leg 1st gear in my opinion , and not a good candidate for the from the start drag race. I myself would shy away from launching the car from a start. Once my car is rolling, say in 3rd gear, it goes pretty well on a longer stretch of road, as well as in the canyons, its a really amazing car for a build that started in 1986 . I think you all would have to agree.

Big G

Big G

20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

My car pulls harder at the top end of the rev range when I use the 101 at the VP racing pump. There is a difference, its a slight difference , but I can feel it and topped out in 4th gear ( I have never topped out 5th gear in all my years of ownership ) I can pull 120 MPH with the 101 , otherwise the car would not. I dont run the 101 100 % of the time, but if I need a fill up, and Im nearby to the station by my home, yes I use it, and I dont believe there is ethanol in the 101 , there better not be ! lol

Big G

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yep, I selected the most aggressive curve for my 328 based on your info probably 10-12 years ago - been running that curve ever since. :)

22. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    hey guys, I did a 1/4 mile test back in July this year, I timed it about 14.4 seconds, I double checked now on my action camera from start to where I cross the line, the 328 is really not to bad for it's time, it can still take on fairly fast street cars like hot hatches, my 0-60kph is about 6.4s and I took on a few cars like a new Golf GTi and 3 series BMW from 2010/12 era, the 330i and also a 2012 - Chev Lumina, 6L V8 which has around 340 HP, my 328 kept up very well against them, especially at speed.

On the Lumina I had a good start and it only caught up to me at around 4 gear(maybe 100mph ), I did not even push the RPM to 7000, I don't race my car but I had a 3 to 5x time drag experience over my 11 years of ownership and I was never outran, if you have a good pull from first, ( you have to do this right) the car fly's of very well. I also tested my top-end around 150 mph on the GPS and it was still going, I just quit.

My car have 23K miles, I have a Tubi, no cats and K&N air filter. I use normal premium 95/98 Octane fuel.

cheers
    Johnny

ginoBBi512 likes this.