E-brake Replacing the brake shoes | FerrariChat

E-brake Replacing the brake shoes

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Mar 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone ever done a replacement of the brake shoes for the emergency hand braking.
    Mine is loose and does not hold the car in a steep incline. I think I will need new brake shoes, had it tightened before and it held for awhile but it just needs to be replaced.

Part of the problem is that the previous owner or sales guy probably drove the car with the handbrakes applied thinking it was down with the up/down action of the handle not knowing it was still engaged. Alot of people do not understand how that thing really works.

I found some 308 threads that had how to tighten loose cables but none about Brake Shoe replacement. Hopefully someone has done this and can share the 'How To' steps.
    Just curious, does your e-brakes hold up your car on an incline driveway, I usually park with e-brake up and in gear just to be safe. Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hi Mike,

You are right about people not understanding the hand brake. Every-one I let drive the car has trouble with it. Usually when I explain the design is so you can drop the handle in order to exit the car they understand why it is so different than every other hand brake on earth (that I know of.) I haven't a clue how to replace the shoes but ours is rock solid. Holds the car on our steep drve no problem. The shoes shouldn't wear unless as you say people drive with it engaged. However, I know the e-brakes through the 355 can be troublesome, so the problem may lie elsewhere.

Dave

3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Yes, to your first question. It's a very simple system and not appreciably different than any other drum brake, regardless of manufacturer. When you say you had it "tightened before" what exactly did they tighten? If they/you solely tightened the brake cable, therein lays the problem...

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Dave, I had a shop look at it last year and he told me it seemed the rear left shoe was worn abit, probably from driving while ebrake still engaged and needed to be replaced.

(fastradio) thanks for your input, I believe he tightened #9 or #35 only from the diagram above. I will remove the rotor cover and post pics of the shoe condition and may have to get new ones installed and reset the whole ebrake adjusting mechanism. I'm surprised no one had to do this in the Mondial threads or folks just park in gear and not worry about ebrakes. Thanks.

5. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    What you referred to adjusts the cable, specifically the position of the handle. Short of gross negligence, the e-brake shoes should last the life of the car, hence the lack of replies. To adjust the e-brake:
    -Raise rear of car
    -Remove rear wheels
    -Back of e-brake cable until loose
    -Turn "star adjuster #16" through each brake rotor until wheel binds, then back off a couple of clicks
    -Repeat for other wheel
    -Adjust brake cable until slack almost to zero, but not under tension

This is one of the many problems associated with folks working on a car that they are not familiar with....Try this before you spend any money on shoes.

Best,
    David

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks for the input, I'll try checking this on mine. On my car I can pull the parking brake handle until it is very tight, I can hardly pull it any futher but it won't hold on a decent incline. One more thing to add to the list.

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Mar 31, 2012
    I had some time today to sort out a few things, one being this e-brake problem. For some reason, my rear left wheel is tight even when the hand brake is off. I tried to look for the screw that tightens the shoe but could not find it. I think its in back of the spring but I was not able to see much. I tried to take off the calipers, but did not have a 7mm Allen wrench for the bolt. So, will need to get that tool and try again. I want to take off the rotor covers to see how bad the shoes are. I would agree they should last the life of the car, but I'm convinced the previous owner had someone drive it with the e-brakes engaged.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Apr 23, 2012
    Today I had some garage time after work and putting the kids to bed!
    I have to replace a leaking clutch slave, e-brake shoes, and fuel filter so the car is on jacks in the rear. First I tackled the brake shoe job, was not sure what the condition is but the e-brake no longer holds. And after removing the caliper (2-bolts 7mm Hex driver socket) and (2-bolts 17 mm wrench), the whole brake system came off so I can take off the rotor. Rotor looks good, no defects, brake pads have plenty left so only concerned about brake shoes. The driver side rear shoes have completely wore out as you can see, bare metal. The passenger side rear are good. So I will have a new set ordered. Its getting late, so I'll try the clutch slave cylinder replacement tomorrow. The fuel filter needs open air space so thats gotta wait until the weekend. I was glad to see my repair of the electrical connector in red is still holding up, no cracks or burns, YES!

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, Apr 24, 2012
    I did not realize these brake shoes cost a fortune elsewhere (~$500 a set), the best and safest site I found them was a set (2 pairs) for $250. Anyone found a reliable alternative ?

[101270 BRAKE SHOE] This item has been superseded by 134847
    http://www.awautoparts.us/product.asp?pid=502
    Parking Brake Shoes - set 348 to assy #6500 512TR from assy. #14195
    Part Number: 134847
    Price: $250.00 + 12.95 shipping

This part is known to be used for the following vehicles:
    365 GTB/4 Daytona
    400 i
    F355
    F512TR
    Mondial 3.2
    Mondial 8
    Mondial QV
    Mondial T
    Testarossa

10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Good job Mike, the problem was exactly as you expected. Why not just have the shoes re-lined locally?

Dave

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It sure was Dave, I suspected that PO drove with handbrake on and did not realized it to the point it wore out the padding completely on the rear driver side shoe, unbelievable!

Anyways, I ended up ordering from the site above, could have re-lined it but the cost and time was not worth it to me, just get a new set and move on with the next service task...

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #12 SAFE4NOW, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Good find for sure. I asked our parts department to see if he had any in stock in our fire sale inventory, but it looks like you already placed your order....

We have 2 in stock ( 4 needed for a complete set ) Firesale price would be $27.94 each , which could at least fix the side thats bad...

Good thread and pictures!

S

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow, that is a really good deal indeed. But I would have spent about the same after buying another two for the passenger side since those aren't that great either. Thanks.

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Could you just get them relined? A truck or trailer shop should be able to point you in the right direction for someone local.

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Dave, but because I don't have alot of time to try and find a reliable shop to reline these, I decided to order a new set this morning. Hopefully I won't every have to change the shoes again for the life of the car!

-Mike

16. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Mike, i understand this time of year you just want to get your car on the road asap.

Didn't see the other post suggesting the same idea earlier. Doh me!

Hoping to have my car back next week here.

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now you got it, tis the season for more Ferrari out time than in !
    btw, is your car out for a major or just from winter storage?

18. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Mike,

Just a thought here, but take a pair of brake shoes to your local auto parts store (a real one, not one of the "big box" stores), and see if they can match it up with a stock set. Alternatively, if you have a local store that sells trailer parts, you'll probably find that they are the same at the drum brakes on a trailer (they sure look exactly like the ones on my Trailex trailer). $250 for two sets sounds a little high but not outrageous. If you can match them to a shoe set from another car, you'll likely save some money.

Remember, Ferrari didn't make their own brake shoes. The bought something stock, right off the shelf. It only gets really expensive if you want the little horsie on the box.

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #19 soucorp, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    Steve you are right on, these shoes look like any other I've seen for euro cars but didn't want to waste more time on a chance they are similar and will be an exact fit so I just ordered new ones. Besides $250 is not as bad as $500 in which would be the case that I go down to the auto parts store. This is true for most Ferrari parts, much cheaper without the Horse !

I have to keep telling myself that a Ferrari is just a car that can be fixed like any other car, does not need to go to the shop every time. With a little know how and help from folks on this great forum, anyone can learn how to do it yourself, especially on basic car care items like brakes/shoes.

cheers!

20. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    If you're looking for e-brake shoes for your Mondi, call Ferrari of Dallas. They had a car show a couple of weeks ago and had NOS parts heavily discounted. I recall seeing a pair of Mondi shoes there.

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Probably the ones offered a couple lines before.

22. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    yep...

23. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Its keeping Ted's company. Close to being done i hope.

24. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    LOL oh really? I just heard from Dan this morning, i'm afraid it won't make my May 2nd prediction :-[

25. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Coolant hose leaking. Was too wide. New one should be there soon. Hoping that's it.