EA Sports F1 2002... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

EA Sports F1 2002...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    Don't consider F1 1999-2002 if you have a console. The console versions are lousy - terrible AI, terrible control. The PC F1 games from EA are MUCH better.

2. Zigno

Zigno Karting

IMHO, Grand Prix Legends is the only sim, all the rest are games. Once mastered it will consume you. It is so real that you can't do it. It takes months to get up to speed and years to master. Punch up GPL on Google, read the reviews, and enjoy. As an ex-racer, the first time I tried the demo at Watkins Glen my hair stood on end and I had chills down my back. I was back in a race car! Why is it hard? How many of you could get into a 1967 312 Ferrari and drive at speed at Spa? or the Nurburgring? Don't give up. You will need patches and downloads and force feed-back wheels and all that but it is worth all it takes to set up on your computer. And you'll need a hot video card too.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Too strong of a statement in my opinion. Grand Prix 4 qualifies as a sim and so do others.

GPL is a very accurate representation and I'm still trying to master it myself (years away), but that doesn't mean it is the only sim.

Zigno, try GP4 with no aids at the top level and tell me how easy that game was...After years of playing it, I'm still using traction control and am only at the advanced level. GPL isn't the only nut to crack out there.

4. FormulaRacer

FormulaRacer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    There are several "MODS" for the EA sports games that are absolutely amazing!

GTR2002, Lemans 2002, and SCR2002 are the best in my opinion.

I also made my own clutch pedal for my Thrustmaster nascar pro digital 2 setup. I also made the internals in the steering wheel tighter, so its a bit more realistic, as well as considerably increasing the tension so they feel better and can be modulated easier.

It was pretty easy to make the clutch, and it makes the game magnitudes better! The games are so realistic that if you stall the car (i.e. dont put both feet in while spinning) and you are still rolling while its stalled, I can actually BUMP START the car! Just put it into gear and pop the clutch and the car fires up!

PLus I just installed a nice sound card, and a Radeon 9600XT 128mb, which gives me 45fps with 15 other cars racing, with all graphics options on FULL, at 1280x1024 with 80hz refresh rate, on a 19" flat panel its simply stunning!

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All terribly interesting. Could you elaborate a bit on how you made the clutch please. Also would love to hear more about the mods. I'm just getting started in EO Sports.

6. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Is GP4 available for pc or is it a console "game"? I'm obviously very prejudiced as GPL completely fullfills my need for speed. And I did start my post "IMHO". BTW, have you downloaded any of the new tracks that have been developed for GPL? The 1995 version of Laguna Seca is particularly accurate and beautifully rendered. Check out the Isle of Man m.c. course also...going to take forever to learn.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    PC only. And has to be a beefy one, at least with a really fast graphics card. GPL being older is a lot more forgiving from that perspective.

What you will learn with GP4 in comparison to GPL is the whole aerodynamics setup. It is a bit like the chicken and egg question: Should you first set your wings and then the mechanics or vice versa? A GPL setup is a lot less complex in comparison. With wings you can mask a bad mechanics setup without even noticing (other than by slow lap times).

GP4 is no GPL though, but it does a lot of things very accurately: You do feel tire wear and you do feel the decreasing fuel loads as the race progresses. Its physics and damage models are also pretty accurate.

Have I downloaded those courses? Yes, but haven't gotten around to really race them. I tried them out and fully agree they are absolutely stunning. But I'm still trying to make my way around Monza in one piece. Bloody novice that I am.

8. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Do you have GPL set up with force feedback and have the GPU patch for fast computers and use a decent wheel and pedals? True, the setup is more simple as the 1967 cars have no downforce, little areodynamics, just 3 inches of clearance, a little toe in front, 0 in back, some neg. camber and the right gearbox and rear end ratios, skinny hard bias tires that lasted 3 races back in the day, around 1300 lbs. and 400 hp. You've really got to DRIVE a car like that. Your first step is getting around Monza consistantly and then getting down to the 1:30 min. range. Let me know if you would like some stable Ferrari set ups for Monza. Also, I have EA F1 2002 but it doesn't turn my crank. Do you know how it compares to GP4?

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think I have the patch and decent paddles and all that. It is really the driver that is missing some talent...It'd be great if you could send me your Ferrari (only!) setups please. I haven't given up on Monza though.

If EA Sports didn't do it for you, don't expect too much from GP4 either. GP4 is better in its AI, its realism of the car physics and how it shows rain, but the sims are similar otherwise.

BTW: GP3 doesn't have the same cool graphics, but is otherwise more interesting as somebody wrote a track editor and it is available with carsets, liveries and tracks for ALL Grand Prix years. Let me know if you're interested.

10. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Tifosi12, check your email. Ferrari set-up waiting for you. Thanks for the offer but I will stick with GPL for now as even after years of enjoying it is still a mighty challenge and always will be because driving a 1967 Grand Prix car will never be "easy".

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I have the SCR mod, thats what im playing through right now. Lots and lots of fun! The LeMans one isnt as good.

Id also love to find out about the clutch. I have a button on my wheel set to my clutch but its too hard to reach it quickly. I need something better!