early 76-77 US/Euro cams for sale | FerrariChat

early 76-77 US/Euro cams for sale

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraripilot, Sep 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hey 2 valve owners, I have a set of new cams coming in for my project (don't ask how pricey!) and am looking to not have a perfectly good set of early US/Euro cams sitting around in the garage doing nothing, so they are for sale.

Anyway, for those who don't know, the early US cams are the same grind found on Euro cars through 1980. The US cars in 78-79 lost a ton of lift and duration which subtracted a good 15-20bhp. I believe these can also be successfully used on the 2v injected cars as well, which if you can believe it had even worse cams than the 78-79 US carb cars.

Shoot me a PM if interested

2. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    Hey guys,

John sold his set. But I have another set listed in the Parts section.
    PM me if interested.

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You cant access the ad section on this site anymore unless you are a subscriber, which I am not. Not a big help to enthusiasts on either end, buyer or seller, IMHO.

A difference of only 15 to 20 BHP? For more than 15 years the accepted difference between early and late camshafts has been 35 to 40 HP. The 77 and earlier engines are "identical" to all the later 2 valves, from 1978 carbies through the CIS injected engines, same pistons, valves, crank, headers, the only major difference was the camshafts and muffler/cats. The early cars (USA thru 1977) make 235 plus, there are many dyno charts to support that. The later cars, both carbies and CIS, make 180 to 195 BHP, and there are just as many sheets to support that. The later cars are totally anemic by comparison.

Putting a set of early cams in a later engine will absolutely wake it up in way that has to be seen to be appreciated or understood.

I've had a set for sale on multiple sites, off and on for almost two years. Unless your willing to give them away, which I am not, there just isnt a lot of interest in the current economy. And a lot less if people start hearing they only add 15 HP and screw up your emissions.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    $1K each is the number I always here...$4K the set.

I never realized that about FerrariAds, let me know if I can help.

5. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ive had a set listed off and on the last two years, once as low as $1000 BIN for the set on eBay. No bites. I wont ever use eBay again, to buy or sell, and there isnt anything else at the moment except CL, which is almost worthless, so its back in the shed for a while.

$1000 a stick would be nice, but that was a few years ago. 2007 maybe? People keep giving their stuff away, houses included, it just draws everyone else's stuff down with it. If the prices keep dropping they will eventually be glorified Fiats, lol.

I have thought of selling them individually, just seems a shame to bust up a good set.

6. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know when it changed, but its been that way for a while. There is only one obvious reason for doing it.

7. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I can access the ad site and lm not a subscriber...lve bought a few things off there as well..I think you cant sell anything on there unless you are subscribed.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree try to keep them together, it's like the four carbs, they come in "sets"....did you ask Dave Helms??

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That part is correct it's free for subscribers...

10. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    I had two complete sets of these cams that I sold for $1000 a set.
    That's about all you can get for them now. Not a lot of demand to hop up old Ferrari's in this economy.

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    yup they sold to another Fchatter who is going to have Paul install them. I definitely believe the early cams are better for either a stock car or even when raising the compression on the engine. The 78-79 cams just won't make any good use of the new compression.

12. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh my mistake, sorry. At any rate its dumb.

13. tempest411

tempest411 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2010
    Two brief observations. One, the cost to subscribe to this site is so little, especially for people who either own or are in the market for an expensive sports car, why not subscribe? Two, camshafts for so many engines cost so much less, why doesn't the aftermarket offer anything for a lot less. I know the number sold would be small, but once the machining setup is done, the actual production of them shouldn't be that costly compared to many other engines. I would guess that $1000.00USD/set should be possible.

14. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I stopped subscribing for reasons not worth discussing, and seldom post. I was simply responding to correct misinformation. I am not interested in listing parts here, it was only an observation that there was a change.

15. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    it's done

superformance offers cams in three different settings

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The Superformance cams are made by Cat Cams in Belgium and are of superb quality. I have a set for my 3.4L engine. If anyone in the US wants them, you have to go through the US distributor for Cat Cams which is vacmotorsports out of Philadelphia.

17. tempest411

Dec 3, 2010
    Thank you for posting this information. All I've ever heard anyone talk about are reground cams from 'Web Cams' (not sure about the name).

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Webcams is now not the only option for these things since Catcams are making a really good grind. This is only for 2v engine only at the moment, but I *think* they will do a set of 4v cams as well, but chances are good that whoever it is will be the first ever doing a set. Their work is very reasonably priced and the quality is outstanding.

What I don't particularly care for about Webcams is they -and anyone else doing Ferrari cams for that matter- have to do a hard weld on each lobe to build up material so the larger grind can be done. A hard weld is adequate but there will always be hot spots where more wear is possible and the love essentially falls apart. This is especially evident with lifts over .400 with the 2v engines (ask Sean how he knows!). Cat Cams are *the* cam to have for all rally work in Europe. I'm really glad to have located them as I just really didn't want to regrind cams.

19. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Interesting thread... between the availability of Superformance cams and Webcams (http://www.webcamshafts.com/) market price is established this way. Since they’re internal components, maybe people do not care if the cams are original early 308 or Euro ones. Perhaps market prices for used original cams are essentially pressed below, i.e. vs. what you can get new (Superformance) or for a performance re-grind (Web Cams)?

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I believe that is correct. What irks me to date is these are not particularly complicated camshafts, yet whe you speak with anyone at Webcams the groans and moans start right up when it comes to doing Ferrari cams. I mean really, I think they are putting on a show or something because this is not brain surgery. And Cat Cams sells their entire cam line full of far more complicated cams for approx 25% what they sell Ferrari cams for. Why? Because they can.....

21. tempest411

Dec 3, 2010
    There's a LOT of that in this world. That's capitalism. But don't worry...If I ever win the lottery I'm starting a manufacturing business making all sorts of hard to find things at reasonable prices. That's my dream anyway, please don't wake me up!