Early 911s, film and vinyl | FerrariChat

Early 911s, film and vinyl

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bullfighter, Aug 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    https://roadscholars.com/the-early-911-film-and-vinyl/

Not new, but an article from Road Scholars that captures some of what we mean when we wax nostalgic for “analog” cars. There is a connection with the physics of driving that parallels, in some ways, an appreciation for an old Leica camera. The connection to mechanical watches is also there, although that’s driven as much by tradition as a passion for analog.

Anyway … good read.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

idart, Mang and Island Time like this.
  2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Just came across this thread; a good read indeed, thanks for the link.

Haven't finished it yet, but I've been picking away at the audiobook version of The Revenge of Analog: Real Things and Why They Matter, by David Sax. He also gets into the audio and film end of things like the above article. I'm guessing Sax is not a sports car guy, or he likely would've included them as well, for the same reasons Randy Wells gets into.

Digital is great and all for any number of reasons and applications, but for the important things...analog is where it's at.

Bullfighter likes this.
  3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I actually enjoy the contrast. I wouldn’t trade my 964 for anything modern, but I do my writing on an iPad or laptop computer: The charm of a typewriter (which I have, vintage 1960s Smith Corona) is far outweighed by need to edit and share documents. I enjoy my Rolex Submariner, its heft on the wrist, and winding it as needed — but a mechanical watch is an indulgence. I manage my schedule with my iPhone, which I trade in every few years with no sentimental attachment or regret. Out with the old.

When the time comes to send the 964 on to the third owner, I’ll care who that happens to be. It’s a machine that asserts itself as such, rather than obscuring its nature of gears and controlled explosions in metal chambers. I’ve always looked after it with the expectation that it will outlast me and fascinate the next guy as it becomes still more of a unique statement on the roads of the future. When the engine gives up, I’ll get it rebuilt for stupid money, because that’s the only way.

This is the distinction, at least for me. If there’s a drive to be savored, the 964 wins out over our Macan. Watch the gauges as the oil warms, follow the revs by listening. If I have a moment to check the time, the little machine on my wrist is an analogue detour from the present. It’s the islands of analogue in a digital sea that are special.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app