Early Dino Radiator - help! | FerrariChat

Early Dino Radiator - help!

Discussion in '206/246' started by dgt, Dec 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi,
    My L-series is missing it's radiator and I've spent years trying to locate one without success....
    So recently, I've been working with GTO Engineering, UK to remake the early radiator used in the 206GT, 246GT L-series and M-series Dino's.
    The part numbers are:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Part# Model Years Features/Note
    800188 206GT 67-69 Side mounts take a horizontal bolt, 2 top strap mounts
    800242 246GT L-series 69-70 Same as 206GT
    800242 246GT M-series 70-71
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    They have the tooling acquired from FIM and drawings to remake these radiators however they would like to borrow a sample to ensure accuracy.
    I have contacted some friends who own early Dino's to see if they are willing to help and we have great support by way of photographs and measurements. Obviously it's a little tough if the radiator is in the car...

So a plea for help to the 206/246 community; GTO Engineering would like a sample radiator to borrow in any condition, they will pay all costs including shipping to/from the UK from anywhere in the world.
    You'd be dealing directly with them, my only interest is to see a successful and accurate product.
    Winter is here in the Northern hemisphere and maybe someone has one out of their car they can lend for a few weeks?

Thanks, Andrew

PS. The E-series radiator is different, I have several and they are no help for this project.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I will warn that accurate dimensions are critically important. When I was installing the rad on the M series the fit was so tight that I literally had to grease the sides and the thickness of the paint on both the body and rad factored into the installation. It was mind bending how close the fit was. I would gladly loan you my rad but I am scared to death to take it out :)

For anyone reading this who may be sitting a little on the fence I can totally vouch for Andrew and can assure you that he is as straight up and trustworthy as they come. If you have an early original rad you can be sure of getting it back safe and sound so please do not hesitate to help the Dino community and contact him to make this part again available.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  4. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I had the same problem with #00306, I had to re-set the mounting brackets at the radiator 3 mm higher, to get the radiator lower... ;-)

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Guys, Thanks for the help so far...
    Tony, Thanks for the link and I know Pasquale - he's looking again but the one he advertises is not an original FIM but it's the correct fitment.

Still looking...
    Andrew

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I'll keep an eye open for one now that I know. I did have a few rads kicking around but not sure where they are now. I have an original header tank complete with mouse nest inside!!

All else fails the old timer part is a starter to get you on the road, you may even devise a way of adding the FIM stamping to that casing without anyone realising it if that's all the difference is.

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    An update on this thread....
    A group of us worked with GTO engineering for about a year to get the early version of the radiator remade.
    They had drawings and tooling from FIM but not alot else.
    We got them a sample plus worked with them on part numbers etc. and about a year ago a very expensive radiator arrived in a box and I fiited it to my car, it’s perfect and used the car all last summer.
    Thanks to Matthias and Peter for help.

Now good news, these radiators are now available from Superformance.co.uk.
    http://www.superformance.co.uk/246/cooling.html

One word of caution, if you remove the spare wheel tub, be sure to trial fit the radiator and hood when the tub is reinstalled as the clearances are very tight.

steve@amne likes this.
  8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Expensive but AVAILABLE. Good work Andrew another one off the endangered species list.

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Great to see this kind of high quality product coming out for public distribution. The price is very fair taking into account the work that went into it and the limited number of buyers.

Best Peter

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Andrew, too bad I just read this thread, you should have let me know, mine is still out of the car...:)

Is it possible to just get the core, as I have all the rest?

Congrats on a job well done!

Regards, Alberto

11. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    from GTO engineering should be possible....

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Matthias. Gave them a call, mail, and they will get back.
    Regards, Alberto