early GTB Euro bumper project | FerrariChat

early GTB Euro bumper project

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraripilot, Jan 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    #1 Ferraripilot, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I finished this project a bit ago but never posted pics. For anyone considering a similar project, this was a bit time consuming and required a fair amount of fabricating, especially the front mounts. US front bumper was 39lbs and the rear was 37.5lbs. Each shock weighed 4.3lbs x 4 = 17.2 lbs for a total of 93.7lbs for US bumper and shock assemblies. The fabricated brackets and fiberglass Euro bumpers weighed a total of 12lbs for a savings of 81.7lbs. Car weighs 2910lbs now with 7 gallons and spare, but no tools in the car (why would I have a spare but not keep the tools in the car lol). The paint chip happened just before we moved from Las Vegas. The agony of seeing a chip in such a terrible spot to have one. I will get to it when I have time.

-John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kiwi 308

kiwi 308 Rookie

Jun 11, 2008
    Looks very nice. Thats a huge weight saving..................

Should be noticable when driving.

3. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Immediately noticable. No doubt

4. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Looks great! Defintely one of the items atop of my current 'wish list'. My GTS is on a diet. Anybody got a set that they bought didn't use, sold the car, ect that they are willing to part with?

5. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    great info to post. where did you buy your front grille?

6. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Euro front grill is pending finding one at a reasonable rate!

My iphone pocketdyno app has noted a difference since a re-calibrated to the new weight.

7. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    the grilles are probably not less than $750. i've been looking for 4 months. i think ferrparts can fab one.

8. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    John Youngdahl (on this list) had some made. I got mine from him. I think (but not sure) that Ferrparts got a couple of that run.

Rick

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    You guys could also plead with Newman to see if you can convince him to make up a bunch of Euro grills. He made a few when we was doing his 308 -- one was for his project; he sold the others. I bought one and it's very nice indeed.

10. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yeah, I have seen the units Paul had fabbed up. Very nice. Mebbe I'll shoot him a PM and see what is what.

11. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    good looking car - I'm thinking about losing the front repeaters also during a front end respray this winter, you're is one of the few without them I've seen here.

cheers

12. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm currently all out of Euro grills. My first run consisted of 10 grills with one of them for myself. Rest went to people on this site. FerrParts did not end up with any.

I can make more if there is enough interest. The best price point is an order of 5 or more grills. Beyond that, it doesn't matter much. Final price would depend on amount ordered and so on but was much less than $750. PM me if you have any interest.

You can see pics of my grills on my car and others at the end of my threat at the link below.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234181&page=2

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #13 Newman, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Thats a QV grill, 2V is different, I sell mine for $450.

14. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for clarifying...its early, no coffee yet :)

15. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Not questioning the master... Just wanna know. How is a QV euro different from a 2V euro?? Pics?

Thanks,
    Rick

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

My side repeaters were deleted years ago by the original owner. Yes, I prefer it without them as well.

-john

17. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    It's odd to see one with the fronts deleted, but the rears still in place. I don't mind the small OEM front repeaters. I hate the bigger US style ones that were fitted to my car when it was imported.

18. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Looks Great!

Ciao,
    George

19. Johndahl

Johndahl Karting

Jan 31, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Basically the QV Euro has an extra horizontal bar and is narrower to allow for the passing lights. 2V Euro takes up the whole opening.

20. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    Kurt,
    I'm with you one that. If I respray my lower end I'll get rid of all four.

21. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Should I have the little round Euro front repeaters installed in the fenders instead? The wiring is still all there obviously. What do you guys think

22. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I wouldn't add the small front repeaters without getting rid of the rear side markers first. Little dots on front with big rectangles in the rear would look funny to me.

That said, if I got rid of the rears I'd leave it bare for a while and see how I liked it since the fronts are alread filled. They look really clean with no side markers at all.

I know that on my car I would like to go back to the original euro arrangement, which has the small rectangular front repeaters (mine is a QV), just for the sake of originality. From an appearance only standpoint I think it looks best with nothing, followed but the small euro round repeaters a close second, small euro QV rectangles 3rd, and the US arrangement last.

23. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Marty - why are you thinking about a respray, your car is damn near perfect!

We'll see what Brain says about the cost to fill in the front repeater-holes. Shouldn't take much time, so hopefully no more than 1 or 200.
    cheers