Easy and Cheap Teeth Whitening | FerrariChat

Easy and Cheap Teeth Whitening

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mbutner, Feb 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I was at my dentist office yesterday for check up and was embarrased about the terrible stains on my teeth from daily coffee drinking (I drink it black). The dentist told me to that washing your mouth out with straight Hydrogen Peroxide every day with brushing will eliminate all stains and actually whiten teeth!! I've been using it for a couple days now and can tell a noticable difference! Who would have thought.

Just thought I'd share as a quick and easy means of brightening your smile.

2. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Did he specify "Food Grade" peroxide?

Wes

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've been using H2O2 for many years now as mouthwash (I prefer it to the Listerine garbage). Works well in that regard, but I haven't noticed any changes in the color...maybe mine weren't that yellow to begin with?

Maybe I was exposed to tetracycline as a fetus? ;)...nah, that would be really yellow.

4. cicatrix

cicatrix Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    USA 1
    Do NOT do that! It will do damage to your teeth and gums.

5. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    care to elaborate? I tend to trust my dentist over a random comment on the internet. Just passing along the info.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. :):)

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't know the reasons he stated that. My dentist said I could use it. Heck, the bottle itself says it's okay and gives instructions for mouth rinse (up to 4 times a day). Just make sure to dilute it in half (cap full of H2O2 and cap full of water). I only use it twice a day.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That is how the whitening technique got started. Dentist noticed people who used over the counter peroxygel had whiter teeth. Voila the whole industry of cabamide peroxide teeth whitening agents was born.

9. cicatrix

cicatrix Karting

Sep 9, 2005
    USA 1
    #9 cicatrix, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    The mouth has bacteria in it to protect the teeth, gums, and tongue against other bacteria. By gargling with peroxide you kill the good bacteria (as well as doing harm to the taste buds) which leaves you open for the bad bacteria to move in. You also do damage to the gums by causing them to recede, and can start to bleach them. When dentists do teeth whitening (whether in the office or supply at home kits) they isolate the whitening agent to just the teeth, and advise to avoid the gums at all cost.

10. whiteli

whiteli Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    By gargling with peroxide you kill the good bacteria (as well as doing harm to the taste buds) which leaves you open for the bad bacteria to move in. So we cannot gargling with peroxide?

11. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    Interesting.
    I do know that using hydrogen peroxide is a good way to clean ones ears from time to time (lay on your side, pour a little in your ears and leave for a few minutes while it pops and fizzes), but never tried it as a gargle.

I'm following this one to see where we end up :)

12. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Buy a bottle of scope, measure out the amount of scope = to the amount of peroxide you have. Pour it out. Pour your peroxide into the scope. Shake it up.

Swish with it every day.

13. whiteli

whiteli Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    What did you feel when using hydrogen peroxide?

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    If anyone has ever worked in a coffee shop, a trick they use to clean the glass pots is salt. Put a healthy teaspoon on salt in the bottom with a little hot water and swish it around. 30 minutes later, the crusty burnt-on residue from drying out the pot on the burner will more or less come off easily.

So I tried that on my teeth. Just rough margarita salt on a toothbrush about once a week. It seems to clean off the worst of the stains.

What I try to do is brush with normal toothpaste. Then salt. Then a mix of peroxide and baking soda (tastes terrible). You have to be careful with the last because it will bleach your gums as well and make them very tender for a few minutes.

But it works.

15. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I'm all for these at home remedies but I'm concerned about long term effects... stripping enamel, hurting the gums, etc.

I tried those Crest white strips maybe 3 times. The first two times it worked okay. My teeth aren't heavily discolored at all but I wanted to try them anyways. The third time was an awful experience. Almost immediately one of teeth lost all feeling. When I tapped it with my nail, the pain resonated through my head. I took them off immediately and it took a short while for normal to resume. I never touched them again.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    what i want to know is how big are his boat and summer home. he must get mad commissions on dental implants

17. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #17 rocketman, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
    There is some truth in some of the preceding posts.

Rinsing with diluted H2O2 in moderation is OK. Doing it too often or with a nondiluted solution can disturb the equilibrium of the normal bacterial inhabitants of the mouth. It should not be used full stregnth and it should not be done too frequently.

The result would be an overgrowth of fungus in the mouth (not bacteria) and you can wind up with a Monilial or Candida infection (Thrush).

Hope this helps.

18. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Caution: Twain wrote about the Duke and the King running for their lives once their tooth whitener was shown to remove enamel in addition to tartar.

19. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have tried the peroxide. It did indeed whiten teeth. I was told about this trick from a guy who was on his way to the dentist. True story.

Later, I was told about mixing peroxide with baking soda and brushing your teeth that way on occasion. (In addition to toothpaste). This also worked well.

Both remedies did make my gums more sensitive and I was never sold on the fact that this was not harmful to teeth. But, does it work? Yes.

20. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    It's a bleaching agent that is used to whiten bones for display. It's a very strong oxidizer, and used in rocket fuel in concentrated form. It will kill skin cells.

So, on teeth, in low concentrations, it will work to whiten them. Leave it on for long periods, and it will eat away the enamel and destroy the teeth and it will be corrosive and harmful to the gums. Used with common sense and in moderation, it's fine for whitening teeth.

Use in low concentrations, rinse frequently, and you will be fine. Better than chlorine, for sure. Still, it's a bleach...remember the phrase peroxide blondes?

Don't really understand why people are insisting on one position or the other. Like most things, in moderation it's fine. In excess, it's harmful. It has both harmful qualities and benefits. Read up on it, and use it properly.

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    LOL!!!!

Quite frankly, a mouthfull of nondiluted H2O2 is likely to kill you as it foams its way through every bit of soft tissue that it comes in contact with. There were some German rocket plane pilots turned to mush back in the day, and they sure weren't gargling with it...

Now the 3% or so stuff they sell at CVS, Walgreens, etc that is clearly labeled for use as an oral antiseptic? Every dentist I've talked to has said it was OK too.

22. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    As does my wife the dental hygienist.