Eau de Ferrari | FerrariChat

Eau de Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by JP365, Aug 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    So I took a 2 1/2 month break from my 365 Gt 2+2 because I got a 96 LT4. Yesterday I took the Ferrari out and the smell of burned oil, gas, etc was even more powerful than I had remembered. My clothes definitely smelled after the hour long drive. The car had a leak down test two years ago and it was determined the car needs valve stem seals. For those of you who have replaced the valve stem seals, did it reduce the smell or did you have to do a full rebuild before the smell went away?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #2 turbo-joe, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    what did the leak test says? at this test you not can see if the valve stem seals are broken, hard or not work anymore right. at a leak test you only check the piston rings and the valves if they are tight or not.

the engine ( so exhaust ) is smoking blue after stoping the engine an dtsrat again after a few minutes? or smoking blue after longer time downhill driving without much accelerating?

you may distinguish between smoke and smell

3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Smoke and smell, mostly when sitting in traffic. I live in Chicago, so there is always traffic going to and from the highways. Unfortunately, the mechanic who did the tests died, so I don’t have a way of determining how he came to the valve stem seals. He was a well respected old time Ferrari mechanic who was semi retired but still worked on vintage cars. I will pull my records for the leak down and compression test.

4. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Valve stem seals fixed 90% of my smoking.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when it comes from them - then 99%
    but I had once a 250 engine with broken oilrings

but to change the valve stem seals it is not so much work and I would do this first. you not even have to put out the cams

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #6 miurasv, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    The carbs, fuel tank and fuel lines will also need to be checked.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    has nothing to do with smell and smoke

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #8 miurasv, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    You can certainly smell gas if the tank and fuel lines are leaking.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the thread opener is not telling about fuel smell

10. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Actually, the original post DOES mention gas as one of the odors.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sure?
    I read something about burned gas, not only gas, but may be because of language problems I see it different ;)

here is what john has written. do you read there something about gas smell?

So I took a 2 1/2 month break from my 365 Gt 2+2 because I got a 96 LT4. Yesterday I took the Ferrari out and the smell of burned oil, gas, etc was even more powerful than I had remembered. My clothes definitely smelled after the hour long drive. The car had a leak down test two years ago and it was determined the car needs valve stem seals. For those of you who have replaced the valve stem seals, did it reduce the smell or did you have to do a full rebuild before the smell went away?

12. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I read it as a list of the smells. Burned oil (one smell)...comma...gas (a second smell)...comma...etc (covering anything else...). BUT...arguing semantics is not productive...maybe the OP could clarify...

I restore old motorcycles and my approach is to ask the question: Did the vehicle __________ (fill in the blank)__________ when new...?

After 30 or 40 or 50 years, too many things are chalked up to "they all do that." IOW, the age of the vehicle is used as an excuse for what is really an abnormality. A collective group of worn out vehicles becomes the norm. When in reality, the 'romantic' smell of an old car is really the smell of a worn out engine, leaking fuel fittings and hoses, belts rubbing, etc.

Some of these things can be ignored, while others might greatly increase the chances of an engine fire, etc. Bottom line is: if they didn't do it when new, then something is amiss.

turbo-joe and miurasv like this.
  13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Thanks for all of the replies. I wouldn’t call it burning gas smell more like a combined smell of oil and gas. I replaced all of the rubber lines two years ago and there are no known gas leaks. Likewise, I did the power steering and alternator belts at the same time. I know I need to get the gasket for the fast idle device, because I’m seeing oil there. My main question is about the effectiveness of the valve stem seals vs completely doing the head. Likewise, how many of you have the burned oil and...Other smell from your Ferraris before and after having valve stems seals or heads done. Trying to get the beat bang for the buck until both kids are out of college in six years.