EBC Yellowstuff LOUD (Help) | FerrariChat

EBC Yellowstuff LOUD (Help)

Discussion in '360/430' started by robertpel9, Dec 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I was having the updated TCU put in my car yesterday and had my mechanic swap out this original stock pads as they were down to less than 20% life to EBC yellowstuff.

I am hoping this is a short term issue but i am getting a very very loud squeal when soming to a stop, it generally happens from 20 mph down to zero. Modulating the brake pedal can help a bit but it is LOUD

I took an early morning cruise around some back roads where i could work on bedding in the brakes and get some heat into them. It is COLD here in SoCal this morning (out 45 outside). When i got the brakes heated up the noise went about 90% away. THey i had a slow drive into the office and the brakes definitely got a chance to cool down and they were as loud as ever

I called EBC and they said this is normal and i have to be patient for about 500 miles! I am hoping that is a joke. My mechanic at RMT Motorsports said he only reccomends the factory pads for 360's as he has seen this before with all sorts of mfg. He definitely installed them properly, etc so i am not worried about that

Is this normal and should patience fix it. It's so loud i really wont want to drive the car and I am sure my wife will care even less for it.

I was starting to get a noise from my old factory brakes at under 5 mph (part of why i swapped them out) my mechanic showed me the pads and said its because they were toast and glazed

Please advise - anyone else go thru this with Yellowstuff. I bought them because i read a lot of good things about them on here

Thanks in advance

2. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    Brakes usually squill because over time, the pad material glazes the rotor surfaces. The best way to avoid this situation is to install new OEM rotors and new pads. A less expensive alternative is to resurface the rotors along with new pads.
    I have had the same happen to me several times with different cars. Kind of embarrassing.

3. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Any way around it at this point or am i tossing the pads and labor out the window

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The rotors need to be resurfaced or replaced. If that was already done, there is probably no way around changing to different pads. The brakes have stiff calipers and are very sensitive to squeal. OEM pads have a groove cut in them to keep them quiet. Most aftermarket pads do not. Girodisc pads and StopTech street performance pads are mostly quiet among aftermarket pads.

5. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    THey have not been resurfaced. They were decently above the min spec but would not be if i resurface them. Will the pads eventually bed in anyway?

In terms of the crease, etc. The pads have a center crease as well as being beveled on both the leading and trailing edge and also have shims, etc. The tech said actually the design was really good.

This info you guys aregiving is very helpful. I do believe its likely the rotor perhaps given the old breaks had started to squeal as well (Albeit not as bad). Any way to power thru this or do i need new rotors for sure. Also if i got that route do i need new pads or can i use these or are they trash??

Thanks so much

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Proper resurfacing removes so little material if in fact they are as you describe there is no reason not to resurface. It is like anything else, there are a lot of people out there that do a terrible job of it and a few good ones. Putting new pads on an old surface is in most cases a bad idea. I resurface them every time and have done several cars 4 times and are still not down to min thickness.

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I've had these, it won't go away u need to change them out unfortunately

8. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    I swapped from OEM to the EBC Yellowstuffs and went through the same squealing issue. Your brakes aren't properly bedded. The yellowstuffs are a high temp pad and really require a lot of heat, much more than oem to properly bed them and get a solid transfer layer on the rotors.

2 track days and the high frequency squealing at low speeds went away and now it makes a dull metal grinding sound at stops, which is much less annoying.

If the sound is a major problem, swap back to OEM, but know that the life on those pads is not great.

9. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Life on the OEM or life on the yellowstuff is not great??

I am not planning any track days anytime soon, so what would be the best way to bed them. The mfg says to bed them in slowly. I have done a bunch of 60-20 slowdowns without coming to a stop and then driven them cool. The noise went away this morning while they were still hot but then came back.....

10. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I also noticed at first that the ABS came on A LOT easier at first with these, it they seems to have gotten a little better in terms of that today -

odd - i have a feeling i am going to wish i just bought the Brembos. The yellowstuff was only 99 an axle. Looks likes its going to cost a lot more in headache

11. Mike@Girodisc

Mike@Girodisc Rookie
    BANNED

May 29, 2015
    Belllingham
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It is likely that that pads are still not fully bed in especially since the rotors were not resurfaced. This means that the pads must first scrape away the old pad material that is on the rotors and then embed it's own pad material. In the process however it can be difficult to get a nice even transfer layer on the rotors due to the inconsistencies on the face left from the original pads, this can and will lead to brake squeal.

With all that said the yellowstuff pads are a more aggressive compound and based on what we've seen from our customers that have tried them you're certainly fighting an uphill battle and may never actually get them to quiet up.

We do offer what we call our 'Magic Pads' for the 360/430 which have been an extremely popular compound with this crowd specifically because of their low dust and no noise properties. They are by no means a race compound but if you don't plan on taking the car to the race track they will do everything else you ask of them.

12. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wow, took it out for lunch and the noise below 10 MPhil is INSANE. I think I worked thru the bed in coating. They put on it as I got a smell for a couple mins as well. It's so loud it's literally a siren. VERY disappointed so far.

Any other tricks here

13. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    And why when I get them hot does it go away. Just heated them up ND quiet. Cooled down and loud again

14. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    They are track pads, not street pads. They work best when up to temp.

15. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Nice chat its all bull**** they will never "bed in" whatever you do

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Get rid of them ASAP before you embarrass yourself and your supplier makes himself look foolish even more

17. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just to be clear and fair to mike here. He is not the supplier. I bought them from Partsgeek

Oddly, on the way back from lunch just in stop and go where its usually terrible they were damn near silent. VERY odd

I guess best bet seeing as if these dont work i need rotors and pads anyway if that the case, i will give them 2 weeks and really work on getting heat into them evenly and smoothly and see what happens. I definitely will not be keeping them if they are ANYthing like their current state. It's also unsettling that ABS comes on so much easier with them (is that because they have a lot more bite)

Should have just stuck with Ferrari parts like i did with the clutch. Lesson learned

18. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    OK its definitely an issue that seems to be almost confined to when not hot. I just took it out on the toll roads and really put her thru her paces and warmed up the brakes, nice and toasty. When exiting the highway, no noise at all, then for the next 10 mins of backroads none either. When i really got to the slow roads about 5 mins later it came back a bit to making noise just in time to park her. Does this hold out hope that they really can bed in??

19. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #19 cm2, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    I think if you can get your rotors turned, you'd likely be in better shape - Brian is right (of course).

Just based on my own experience, there is something about how a pad interacts with the rotor, or the deposits that it leaves, that makes certain pad materials incompatible with (others or) a dirty/used rotor. That being said, two additional thoughts.

-EBC yellow stuff is marketed as a track-focused pad, isnt it? Pads with a higher temp range usually get noisy and dirty. My carbotech XP pads sometimes are silent, and sometimes howl like dogs. There are little tricks of course (water and a stop to put your face through your steering wheel), but that doesn't sound helpful here. Switching back to the street compound should quiet brakes down.

-Second - proper bedding is pretty important. And.. bedding them usually is done so hot that smoke is pouring from the wells. Like a normal person would think there was something wrong with your car, and give you a really wonky look (that's how I know I've got em good). Not just around and warm from street or highway driving.

I also think its interesting that people go to higher temp pads, without the need... its not worth the trade off unless you need it.

edit - one more thought. I've found it helpful or proper to thoroughly clean out the piston area and put that copper grease on the back of the pads, permatex or whatever.

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have EBC pads ... but, I got the Red Stuff pads for street use. Your yellow stuff are not correct for the street use and it is surprising they squeal. My red stuff squealed for a short time but after following the instruction from EBC on their recommended procedure for beddding in the pads, the noise has gone away.

I expect that if I had resurfaced the rotors, I may have not experienced the squealing, but that said, they are fine now.

Unless you do a lot of tracking, I would take the yellow stuff out and replace with red stuff.

Steve

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yup, they will dust up very quickly and if not washed off, it will create a bond with the clear coat on the wheels, eroding the coating.

The squeal isn't going to go away with these pads.

22. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I wish i bought red also. I saw a few threads here on yellow and was in a rush that afternoon and just asssumed it went green/yellow/red and that yellow was the in between. Lesson learned.

If these dont bed in well in two weeks time then it is stock pads and rotors all around. I am getting a feeling that they are going to be ok if i exercise patience, we will see.

I hope so. The first year and 4k miles i had the car ZERO money into it. In the last couple of months it has been A/C compressor, new clutch, new TCU and now brakes.

Pay to play. At least it doesnt sit in the garage. It got 15k miles of use in its first 14 years and now 6k in the last year and change

23. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Just driving around isn't going to have a good chance of resolution. Taking the rotors off and getting them resurfaced is absolutely trivial. So is properly bedding the pads.

24. FerrariDenmark

FerrariDenmark Karting

Aug 12, 2009
    Denmark
    My EBC Redstuff was very noisy as well. Didn't have more paitience than 50 miles driving before I made the bedding in by getting them very hot. Now the noise has gone. But if you are not comfortable driving the car hard it could be impossible to make the bedding in... In my case we were taking about half an hour driving 'track-style' :)

25. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    What I don't get, is why a performance shop would put those things on, without a proper resurfacing. As Rifledriver said, it removes next to no material if done properly.

The Yellowstuff pads are not street pads. They are track pads that works in a setup where the car is driven to and from the track where the noise does not matter. If you really want EBC, get Redstuff. Yellowstuff will always be noisy, unless you drive like you stole your car or ran the MM, EVERYWHERE! And as mentioned above, the Redstuff can make noise as well.

All that being said, I've tried all the colours, and I think EBC is the most overrated pad out there. You get what you pay for. Pagid makes really nice pads though.