Ecclestone to propose V10 comeback | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ecclestone to propose V10 comeback

Discussion in 'F1' started by rblissjr, Dec 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Source? Just I have not seen anything in the press today.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  3. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It sounds as though upgrades can be made incrementally during the season. That would be good, but let's wait and see what truth really is.

4. DF1

Many thanks!

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Google translate isn't the best, but it sure reads that way. Would be happier if it was on Bernie's site or Autosport, but sounds like they can use their (32 next year) "tokens" all through the season rather than being stuck with whatever they've done by the homologation deadline.

If true, I think it's a pretty good idea; Get as much "major" work done while using, say, half the tokens by the season start deadline. Then incremental upgrades as you learn more during the season.

Almost sounds too logical to be true........ ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Do we know what these tokens will actually buy?

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  8. DF1

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The token system is clearly spelled out in the appendix to the F1 technical regs. It says what items can be changed and how many tokens each change requires.

10. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It does allow a team to make what changes it can before the season begins and then still be able to address any remaining issues during the season. So, it sounds like a good idea. As you say, almost too logical to be true.

11. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think all they can do by 2016 is to nibble around the edges of the existing formula. Perhaps increase fuel flow and consumption, bring refueling or increase tank capacity, up the rev limit, and increase boost. Then pray that these engines don't blow up every other race, because they were designed for less stress.

But I don't see how any of that reduces cost unless the MGU/storage system is simplified. Perhaps the MGU-H goes away? That ought to annoy Mercedes since that is an area where they seem to be way ahead.

I just don't see how you drive the cost down significantly while maintaining a hybrid system.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #112 Fast_ian, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1

Here is the relevant page again;

The more I study it, the more it actually makes sense!..... *Very* very little is actually frozen for many years yet. Some basic engine "specs" are frozen; Bore spacing, deck height, bank stagger, crank throw & journal diameters are set. The air valve system is also locked - Renault are believed to have the "best" solution to the latter.

Beyond that - ie, a complete redesign of the block itself ($$$), you're pretty much free for many years yet......

Cheers,
    Ian

Beyond that,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks.
    I hope that we get to see which team changes what.

Remember MB has the same latitude to Change their PUs.
    Who knows, that may be even more dominent next season.

14. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Great idea!

They claim to be embracing the 'digital age'... Bernie says he has 'ten people on it'. He doesn't know what they do, but that's what he's told apparently. ;)

Seriously, it would be cool to know where they're spending their tokens.....

Sure. But seems they may already be closer to 'the limit' (?)

Unfortunately true.

But I doubt it..... I wouldn't bet against 'em, but I'm really hoping they're at least challenged this time.

Cheers,
    Ian

15. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    I said 2 weeks ago the engine rules would come out first of February .

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You realize that on the Internet quoting yourself is the same as talking to yourself in the real world.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The limit?

Don't know that there is one.

They got it right the first time so logically they're most likely to get it right this time.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Throwing this in for good measure:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpTatw0xfVs[/ame]

19. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Great video post, I bought some valves from an F2003 last time I was in Maranello.

I was struck by the irony of the fact that we started that season pretty poorly, Maccas won the first few races I believe. We built a new engine and had a great rest of the years racing - thanks to the fact that we were allowed to develop the engine in season :)

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

And Mercedes didn't stop you doing it !

21. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The entire CONCEPT of a Formula One Grand Prix season is absurdly expensive and about as green as a coal factory.

There point is to demonstrate the highest limits of man's capabilities with a given framework, which is unfortunately becoming tighter every year. These are neutered turbo engines, only 600 HP without ERS. A concentrated effort could produce much better sounds (like in the '80s) and turbo engines sound more and more wicked with boost and any engine sounds more wicked with higher revs. I haven't given up on them yet unless they plan to freeze them. What is the point of engine freezes when the new formula just started??!!

22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The theory was, based on the new regulations all of the power-units would start off being almost identical in power output and drive-ability and so the FIA wanted to ensure that no one could develop their power-unit through the season and gain a big advantage.

The whole concept of the freeze fell flat on it's face though because one manufacturer (Mercedes), started off with a big advantage and the freeze prevented the others from catching up.

Basically, the FIA meant well with the engine freeze but it back-fired big time!

24. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    People say they cost to much . If you open the rule book the costs will hit the roof and no one wants that .

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I also agree. Twin turbos would be more of an engineering challenge in terms of heat management so I don't expect them to make that radical a change right now, but such a change would make for better sound but at the expense of a massive amount of development everyone's already done with the current single turbo layout so it's a very tough call to even move towards a vote. If they did propose a vote for that then they might as well vote for a move to an entire different engine layout altogether as it would be just about as easy. I'm afraid the current configuration probably won't change for a few years at least. Entirely too much has been collectively put in by all manufacturers to just pull out now.