ECU Rumor | FerrariChat

ECU Rumor

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Texas Forever, Jun 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Somebody, who doesn't have an axe to grind, told me the ECUs controlling the fuel injection in 550s is unique to the car, and Ferrari is no longer making them. True or False?

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The fuel injectors are unique to the 550 not the injection. However, it takes little work to find out the 550 injector specs and source a different injector. And there are enough guys around the country that even I can find a guy who can build an injector to my specs. There is nothing proprietary about the the size of the hole the injector goes in or the length of the injector and the size of the hole where it connects to the fuel rail. There has been no new injectors available for at least 6 years except the odd new old stock sitting on a shelf somewhere. Dave Helms Scuderia Rampante in colo. and I have had discussions on these injectors. There are special enough features that Dave says stick to OEM Ferrari unless you have a good reason not to do so. If the stock injector becomes NLA used to rebuild I would be calling Dave as my 1st call. Repairing so many cars He will have a solution long before the rest of us DIY guys ever need them. Then if I had to, I would make them to order the hard way.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp

4. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Got to love FBB he knows everything

:)

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. Glad to see Dave is still ticking.

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

The Motronic ECU's for the 550 are the same as the BMW V12's of the same era and should be available for a long time. But somebody needs to figure out how to take a BMW Motronic and give it the 550 Maranello's "personality". That personality is buried in a maskable EPROM that apparently only Jim Conforti (famed BMW ECU tuner) knows how to unmask.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thx!

8. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's my understanding that Rod Drew is working on many different ECU's

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Maybe not? The 2.7 motronic 348 guys have been very successful with copying and creating different prom chips. The only issue is you have to open the ECU to swap chips. It is not tunable via an OBD port. There are few guys around doing 5.2 tuning chips.

11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Has anyone swapped their ECU's to something more modern for more tuning capabilities? I feel like there's room for improvement on these power plants given what we have seen with just opening up the exhaust via Fabio's 6-1 header system.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I think John Cribb is working on something different and he can chime in. His coil on plug conversion is more of a reliability upgrade, but I am sure unlocks a few hp, as well.

You have to remember, though, that the Motronic ECUs do more than just manage fuel and spark. They are hooked into a bunch of subsystems through the CAN, so anything replacing them needs to have provisions for that, too.

Texas Forever and NE550 like this.