News

ECU Upgrade/downgrade

Discussion in 'MVPEurosports.com' started by GregD, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Kevin,

I had a new clutch installed (paddle shift) and car serviced as you may have read in the tech section. The service/vibration issue was resolved. However, and unfotunately, they updated the ECU to the 2004 software.

The mechanic advised me that my car had the 2003 software as it was a very late build in 2003 and was badged a 2004. he called it the go-fast version.

since the upgrade, I cant seem to get the pops and booms I'd get when downshifting to a stop. At idle, the rpms are a hair over 2000. now it does
    shift a bit quicker and it is easier to park (dont care at all about the later)
    seems like a subdued version of what was a rebel.

Is it possible to have them reflash the system back to the old software?
    The car runs fine, but its not the same old car I had before the service.

2. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sorry I need to correct; spedometer sits at 10 mph not rpms. rpms is at about 800 at idle.

3. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Greg,

That's very unfortunate to hear, I know many people with earlier model F1 cars that are in your shoes. Their dealer updated the car and the car does not feel like it did in the past. It is a problem many of my 02 Maserati customers have experienced also and time and time again Maserati and Ferrari tell the customers that it cannot be converted back. It's really sad because the difference is night and day and really makes the car feel more tame compared to the beast it used to be.

I believe the dealer is capable of converting your car back but the majority of dealers will not do it for a majority of their customers. You would have to consult with your local dealer and talk to their service and see if you can convert it back. If they say no, then that's pretty much what it comes down to in that case.

If you want to post or PM me the information of the dealer who did this, I may know them or know somebody there that I can talk to. If you were on the other side of the country I could help you right away but unfortunantely you're out in California :(

Regards,
    Kevin

4. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Kevin,

I didnt ask them to update the system. Their job was to replace two damaged motor mounts and balance a flywheel.

I have already called and left a message with the service advisor and will be advising him to re-flash back to the old software.

Ive driven the car about a 100 miles since the upgrade and the car has seriously been de-balled. I may as well sell the tubi and put the original system on. no pops, booms, quiet as hell unless I'm at wide open throttle.

5. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Normally it's just something they do. I've had a customer who had the Eurotek ECU done and when they updated it, he had to send Eurotek back the ECU for a 2nd retune.

I don't know why they do this, but I do find it strange. Most dealerships I've taken my car to will charge me for work they never did, Ferrari/Maserati reflashes ECU's for no apparent reason.

Let me know how your luck goes with having them reflash it to the old software, as far as I know the majority of dealerships won't do it, but I'm still interested to hear your outcome.

Regards,
    Kevin

6. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks for the info kevin, they did reflash the old software to the engine. It runs & sounds good as I posted in the technical section.

7. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Very suprising, glad everything worked out.

8. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Most ECU reflashes done at the dealership are usually required updates mandated by the EPA.Due to new emission standards set by the EPA.Car dealers are sent update bulletions to update older cars to newer emissions calibrations or face mandatory recall notices.Most updates usually happens on OBDII cars(1996-2006).

m