488 - ECU UPGRADE ENGINE RELIABILITY | FerrariChat

488 ECU UPGRADE ENGINE RELIABILITY

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BLACK CARS, Dec 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    There are two different type of ECU upgrades available. One opens the case and allow the ECU to be remapped. The second intercepts the signals from the ECU and modifies them before sending them to the actual engine. This raises several points. The first is can you really feel the difference in either - I am particularly interested in the second as the modifications are only temporary and can be pulled out in less than an hour leaving no legacy. The second is the engine reliability and durability when modifying the ECU output. Does anybody know of a blown engine or other serious complications? Is the bottom end sufficiently strong to take more power? I don't need an extra 50HP just to have a $100k repair bill.

2. BLKBLK

BLKBLK Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2011
    I've remapped ECU on my other cars in the past. They were all reliable. Amount of HP/torque you would gain from simple ECU remapping is great especially on FI engines (e.g. 488). However, I would not do this to F-car. There may not been a case of blown engine so far because there aren't many F-car owners who modify their cars (my F-car is stock and will stay that way). You may not have any issues with it, but God help you if you have any engine issues later. I believe if the dealer detects your ecu has been tampered with, it will void your warranty.

3. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    We have tuned many many 488's with Novitec N-Tronic, this is the second option you mention which is a piggyback. It is a very reliable tune that client's are extremely happy with.

I would simply ask your dealer beforehand about their thoughts on tuning, some dealers are not against it.

Let me know if you have any questions!

4. Isn't the better question whether you really need an additional 50hp at whatever cost?

Is something like 660 horsies really not enough for you?

Mighty Joe likes this.
  5. Gareth J

Gareth J Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Gareth Jones
    Hi. Can you tell me where the blue and red wires should be soldered into the cable train.